Can I haul my car on a lowboy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I haul my car on a lowboy?

I am going to be driving about 2 hours in 2 weeks and would like to haul my car with me. Going to visit my folks and my buddy there wants to help me do some things to the car so I want to take it without putting all the miles on it. I have a 16 foot lowboy but not sure if it is safe or how to even load it on there being that it is lowered! Have any of you ever done it before or what do you think about me hauling it on there?? My truck will pull it no prob, just kind of worried about it on there........
Old 03-14-2009, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

depends on the type of lowboy.......

I have hauled my car on a lowboy a couple times. Especially after the rearend broke. I used the original ramps on the trailer and then an extra set of ramps on top of those. The second set would start about half ways down the first set. If you need more clearance add another set. Or you could put a block under the jack and jack the front of the trailer/*** of the truck up as high as you need. Just make sure the hitch is hooked up.

If I were you I would also use a winch to pull it up on the trailer if it is even close to a tight fit. You dont wanna try driving up it and scratch your ****. Also make sure you can get out. The lowboy I used had too high of sides so I had to get a small buddy to drive mine up and climb out the window.

(This method is Ghetto but will work depending on the trailer)
Old 03-14-2009, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good to me, I have a pretty wide trailer so I shouldnt have problems. That is a good idea with the ramps because I am telling you my car is SUPER LOW with the headers sticking out underneath. It is a bitch and I wish it wasnt so damn low but man does it look a lot better.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why not just rent a Uhaul car trailer??? think it was like $60 for me to rent one to haul mine to Houston and back...
Old 03-15-2009, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Because I never thought of that! And my lowboy is free.......
Old 03-15-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superfreakws6
Because I never thought of that! And my lowboy is free.......
free is alwasy good, I've hauled mine on a lowboy a few times, once from Houston when the tranny granaded on a highway pull, and agian a few times when other random **** broke..it can be done, but like said before, getting out is a bit of a chore, every time I had to either go out the t-top, window or rear hatch.....at least with the U-haul trailer you dont have to worry about hitting any rails and it fits nicely..