my car wont start....can anyone help

Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car wont start....can anyone help

i know i post this in another forum, but i gotta get this thing runnin. heres the deal. its been doin this for about a week, but my security light keep flashing (i drive a 99 z28) but it wont let me start the car,....all my power works.usually i just play with my key pad unlocking,locking, setting the alarm off and what not. but last night nothing was workin. so i un plugged my battery. had my key tested to check the chip. its fine....so i bought a new cylinder and key. but im not sure if this will fix it. anyone know what im talkin about.???? please lemme know if u can help. thanks. corey
Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Launching!

it's the VATS system. it's that little chip in your ignition key, it gets wore out and the computer won't read it and therefore won't let you start the car. usually, the fix is just to go to the dealership and get a new key cut, but seeing has how you already tried that i don't know
Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
it's the VATS system. it's that little chip in your ignition key, it gets wore out and the computer won't read it and therefore won't let you start the car. usually, the fix is just to go to the dealership and get a new key cut.
i went up there. and they said the key was fine....i dont know how they test it. but he took my keys and came back a few minutes later and said it was fine.....so i bought a new key cylinder and picking the key up in the morning.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

but im not sure if thats the prob. right now its still parked motionless
Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

yeah bro its the VATS.. mine did the same thing! The security light was flashing and my car would not turn on.. I had to replace the ignition lock cylinder, there are two wires that measure the resistance of the chip on the key and if it doesnt read it, it wont turn on. One of the wires was torn off..
Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmmm VATS is the only thing I've ever heard to cause this. Have you had the key tested somewhere else? maybe a false positive?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZERO
yeah bro its the VATS.. mine did the same thing! The security light was flashing and my car would not turn on.. I had to replace the ignition lock cylinder, there are two wires that measure the resistance of the chip on the key and if it doesnt read it, it wont turn on. One of the wires was torn off..
your speakin word for word.....ok. well i bought the cylinder and im havin it towed to the dealership in the morning. i was gonna have my cousin drive out from katy cause him and his friends all have or have had ls1's and the only thing that scares him from doin it himself is the airbag.....so i guess the dealerships gonna mnake a pretty penny off me tomorrow im s0o pissed.

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Hmmmm VATS is the only thing I've ever heard to cause this. Have you had the key tested somewhere else? maybe a false positive?
no i havent, just the dealership....i really dont wanna take my car there but i feel im gonna be doin that in the mornin.....and i have another set of keys. but theyre in dallas. so im just real frustrated right now. ive never gone thru this before and i have a butt ton goin on right now in my life, more than any 20 yr old should.....jeesh. i need a vacation

Search this Thread