Anyone an electrician by trade? Power question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone an electrician by trade? Power question

I recently got my newest electric bill from TXU and Centerpoint is the provider. My usage went from almost 2000Kwh to 4500Kwh from the last billing cycle, in that time period, my air conditioner was broken for a week, and was not running. Im just curious if it is possible that the a/c repair man funked something up that made my meter go off of the charts.

I did my own experiment this morning after the power company came for a re read of my meter and basically told me im fu%ked and have to pay it because the numbers are correct. I went through and unplugged everything in the house excet for the essentials, and turned off the a/c.......with that my meter "disc" made approx 1.2 rpm.

I then left the nessecary things plugged in and turned on my a/c unit and the SOB looked like a record player, making approx 12 rpm, im pretty sure smoke was rolling off of the bastard.

Any ideas or is this just normal and i have just not noticed.

NOTE: they replace my meter about 4 months ago, but this spike is literally amazing on my bill it went from 220 to 460 in a month.

any help is appreciated
Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM
RCC
On The Tree

I would check your electric bills from this time last year, they can really ssurprise you sometimes.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try turning the power off at the breaker box and see if the meter turns. 12 rpm is slow. I've seen them spin so fast you couldn't tell where the black dot was.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1FAST02FORMULAHAWK
I recently got my newest electric bill from TXU and Centerpoint is the provider. My usage went from almost 2000Kwh to 4500Kwh from the last billing cycle, in that time period, my air conditioner was broken for a week, and was not running. Im just curious if it is possible that the a/c repair man funked something up that made my meter go off of the charts.

I did my own experiment this morning after the power company came for a re read of my meter and basically told me im fu%ked and have to pay it because the numbers are correct. I went through and unplugged everything in the house excet for the essentials, and turned off the a/c.......with that my meter "disc" made approx 1.2 rpm.

I then left the nessecary things plugged in and turned on my a/c unit and the SOB looked like a record player, making approx 12 rpm, im pretty sure smoke was rolling off of the bastard.

NOTE: they replace my meter about 4 months ago, but this spike is literally amazing on my bill it went from 220 to 460 in a month.
any help is appreciated
I'm not an electrican, but I bet I can help.

I work in the meter dept. for Center Point and do anything to do with a meter from high bill complaints (you) to being a meter cop for those who tamper with their meters.

First of all we are going to start off with meter math 101.

Go to your meter and find something called Kh on the data plate. It will probably be 7.2. I read something about rpm's that you did, which did not make sense to me. You need to clock your disk for one revolution without your AC running. So here is the formula and how it works.

3.6 x 7.2 x 1/ seconds of one revolution. The 1 means 1 revolution of the disk.

3.6 is the amount of seconds in an hour... 60 seconds x 60 minutes which gives you watts per hour, then you divide by 1,000 for kilowatts per hour.

3,6 x 7.2 x 1 are absolutes when clocking the disk for 1 revolution. The only variable is the amount of seconds it takes to turn the disk.

Say your disk takes 24 seconds to go from black spot to black spot.

3.6 x 7.2 x 1/24= 1.08 kw.

No, turn your AC on. Disk really hauls *** doesn't it. So, to get better resolution, let's let the disk turn 5 times, so start your stopwatch on the black area, then when it makes 5 revolutions, stop your stopwatch.

Now the formula changes, but it is real simple.

You take the same formula

3.6 x 7.2, but you change the 1 revolution to 5 revolutions

3.6 x 7.2 x 5/ seconds for 5 disk revolutions. Let's assume it's 14 seconds for 5 revolutions.

3.6 x 7.2 x 5/14= 9.26 kw.

OK, we are done with the meter math. Now for some questions.

Do you know your electric rates? Are you paying 16 cents per kw or are you paying 12 cents per kw. Do the math, and the lower rate should drop your $400 bill to $300.

If you are paying over 13 cents, you need to look into changing.

powertochoose.org click on residence, then type in your zip code and you will see a rate chart. Just understand if you leave your present company, it may cost you penalties.

About meters..........

Was your meter that was removed accurate? Was something wrong where the meter was only registering 80% versus 100% accuracy? Not saying you did it, but it is important.

In 30 years of dealing with meters, I have only seen 2 running fast. Both were hit by lightning and no matter if the AC was on or off, the meter was spinning nonstop.

In most cases, when something is wrong with the meter, it will run slow, not fast! I know you don't want to hear that, but there it is. I am not using the 'company line', because we are honest with our customers, just telling you the truth.

In the days before the deregulation of the electric industry, most customers paid the same rates, or rates pretty much close to each other. In the days of deregulation a lot of customers don't have a clue what their rates are..............and this is what is so sad, you have a lot of elderly, or people uneducated about business, don't know how to operate a computer to shop rates. This hurts us also. Us guys who deal with high bill complaints really and truly want to help, but we have something called 'code of conduct'..............for example, I have had many customers ask me who my electric provider is, and I can't tell them.

I hope this has helped. If you (or anybody else) has any questions I can answer, feel free to post........however.........I won't get involved with any flame wars about Center Point or anything else.

One thing you can count on, I will be honest.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

^ Epic post
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RCC
I would check your electric bills from this time last year, they can really ssurprise you sometimes.
Good point....however.......

Use kw usage per month, not dollar amounts per month. The cost per kw may have changed drastically.

Just remember, this summer has been brutal. There has been times where in a 24 hour period, my AC was only off an hour or two, and it was set at 78 degrees.......the AC had to work it's *** off to get to or maintain 78 degrees.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by old_goat
I'm not an electrican, but I bet I can help.

I work in the meter dept. for Center Point and do anything to do with a meter from high bill complaints (you) to being a meter cop for those who tamper with their meters.

First of all we are going to start off with meter math 101.

Go to your meter and find something called Kh on the data plate. It will probably be 7.2. I read something about rpm's that you did, which did not make sense to me. You need to clock your disk for one revolution without your AC running. So here is the formula and how it works.

3.6 x 7.2 x 1/ seconds of one revolution. The 1 means 1 revolution of the disk.

3.6 is the amount of seconds in an hour... 60 seconds x 60 minutes which gives you watts per hour, then you divide by 1,000 for kilowatts per hour.

3,6 x 7.2 x 1 are absolutes when clocking the disk for 1 revolution. The only variable is the amount of seconds it takes to turn the disk.

Say your disk takes 24 seconds to go from black spot to black spot.

3.6 x 7.2 x 1/24= 1.08 kw.

No, turn your AC on. Disk really hauls *** doesn't it. So, to get better resolution, let's let the disk turn 5 times, so start your stopwatch on the black area, then when it makes 5 revolutions, stop your stopwatch.

Now the formula changes, but it is real simple.

You take the same formula

3.6 x 7.2, but you change the 1 revolution to 5 revolutions

3.6 x 7.2 x 5/ seconds for 5 disk revolutions. Let's assume it's 14 seconds for 5 revolutions.

3.6 x 7.2 x 5/14= 9.26 kw.

OK, we are done with the meter math. Now for some questions.

Do you know your electric rates? Are you paying 16 cents per kw or are you paying 12 cents per kw. Do the math, and the lower rate should drop your $400 bill to $300.

If you are paying over 13 cents, you need to look into changing.

powertochoose.org click on residence, then type in your zip code and you will see a rate chart. Just understand if you leave your present company, it may cost you penalties.

About meters..........

Was your meter that was removed accurate? Was something wrong where the meter was only registering 80% versus 100% accuracy? Not saying you did it, but it is important.

In 30 years of dealing with meters, I have only seen 2 running fast. Both were hit by lightning and no matter if the AC was on or off, the meter was spinning nonstop.

In most cases, when something is wrong with the meter, it will run slow, not fast! I know you don't want to hear that, but there it is. I am not using the 'company line', because we are honest with our customers, just telling you the truth.

In the days before the deregulation of the electric industry, most customers paid the same rates, or rates pretty much close to each other. In the days of deregulation a lot of customers don't have a clue what their rates are..............and this is what is so sad, you have a lot of elderly, or people uneducated about business, don't know how to operate a computer to shop rates. This hurts us also. Us guys who deal with high bill complaints really and truly want to help, but we have something called 'code of conduct'..............for example, I have had many customers ask me who my electric provider is, and I can't tell them.

I hope this has helped. If you (or anybody else) has any questions I can answer, feel free to post........however.........I won't get involved with any flame wars about Center Point or anything else.

One thing you can count on, I will be honest.

Thanks for that post.

I did the experiment

Ill do the math you mentioned, when i get time lol

as for the meter, it was replaced, because it wasnt working right.

I have so many bills set up on auto pay i never noticed that for 8 months, my txu bill was only 5.95$.

Therefore, i dont have bills to match to last year. I havent tampered with my meter, and dont doubt that the bill could be correct, i just had sticker shock when i got the bill, and was looking for an answer.

ill look into the things you asked about and get back with you guys.

EDIT: The bill shows im paying 13.51c per kWh

Thanks again and X2 on the epic post lol
Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What area are you in? My parents live near Pearland Parkway and everyone they have talked to on there street has had the same higher than supposed to be bill.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Banned

I have TXU and I live in Pearland, my bill went from $165 to $285 and that was with a "$25" summer saving credit or some bullshit. A bunch of bullshit, I've been like a hawk turning off lights/tv/keeping a/c at 1 temperature...lmao.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter_Z28
I have TXU and I live in Pearland, my bill went from $165 to $285 and that was with a "$25" summer saving credit or some bullshit. A bunch of bullshit, I've been like a hawk turning off lights/tv/keeping a/c at 1 temperature...lmao.
lol... im on the same boat like you.....

ill ask another question:

anybody with 2 story homes, what are the temps suppose to be set at, btm and top?

ex: we keep our a/c downstairs set at 77degrees and our upstairs at 78degrees? is this the right way to do it or vise versa? or both suppose to be set the same? what is better for energy control on setting these temps?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hot air rises. So, you want upstairs warmer than downstairs or the upstairs unit tries to cool the whole house. It can be 1-3 degrees of delta betwen upstairs and down.

Let me give you an example. Before my kids were born we kept our upstairs (which wasn't used) at 80 degrees and downstairs at 77. Our highest bill was $190.

My wife set the upstairs colder (76) than downstairs (77), and the bill for last month was $580 because the upstairs unit ran non-stop in that configuration.

So, I am looking at partitioning off the stairs to keep the air from upstairs from running downstairs all the time and to take load off the upstairs unit.

BTW, thank you for the info on the meter.... Great post.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

So you got away with only paying $6/mo for 8 months because of a bad meter? Thats like $1,000+ in bills you would have had to pay if it had been working right.

Hehe, you didn't notice that your electric bills were only $6 (for 8 straight months no less), but you sure caught on quick when it was a little higher than you were used to!

I have so many bills set up on auto pay i never noticed that for 8 months, my txu bill was only 5.95$.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Eddiep
So you got away with only paying $6/mo for 8 months because of a bad meter? Thats like $1,000+ in bills you would have had to pay if it had been working right.

Hehe, you didn't notice that your electric bills were only $6 (for 8 straight months no less), but you sure caught on quick when it was a little higher than you were used to!

Yeah pretty much! i caught it about a month b4 they did, but i wasnt gonna let them in on the secret. SCREW THE MAN
Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

I am even more of a power **** than you guys. I run 82 in my house in the summer. I have 4 computers that run non stop. I wife kept leaving the lights on ALL the time. And I mean all of them. So I changed out all of those with those stupid energy saver ones, keep the AC on 82 to 83, turn the fridge and freezer up a couple of notches and I paid $150 for my electricity.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah pretty much! i caught it about a month b4 they did, but i wasnt gonna let them in on the secret. SCREW THE MAN
uh............yea...........OK.

When your meter was discovered as being broke, your 'secret' got out. On the forms we fill out on the computer, there is a box to check titles BILLING ADJUSTMENT REQUIRED. Since your meter was broken, you can count on that box being checked.

I had much compassion for you with your post about your high light bill. By now with your 'accidentally' seeing 8 months of $5.95 light bills, and your 'secret', and your 'SCREW THE MAN', any compassion I had felt for you is gone. There is no difference between doing this and going to Krogers and buying $100 worth of groceries and walking out happy as can be because the cash register screwed up and you only ended up paying $10. Is it OK to steal (figuratively not literally) from TXU because their 'cash register' is in your yard?

I wouldn't count on 'screwing the man' until you and TXU settle up, and I would bet a weeks pay that you haven't heard the last from TXU. Trust me, the smartest thing you can do is settle up. The 'MAN' has laws on his side.

You might want to read this.

http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/31.04.00.html

Hope you sleep well tonight.

Last edited by old_goat; 08-12-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by old_goat
uh............yea...........OK.

When your meter was discovered as being broke, your 'secret' got out. On the forms we fill out on the computer, there is a box to check titles BILLING ADJUSTMENT REQUIRED. Since your meter was broken, you can count on that box being checked.

I had much compassion for you with your post about your high light bill. By now with your 'accidentally' seeing 8 months of $5.95 light bills, and your 'secret', and your 'SCREW THE MAN', any compassion I had felt for you is gone. There is no difference between doing this and going to Krogers and buying $100 worth of groceries and walking out happy as can be because the cash register screwed up and you only ended up paying $10. Is it OK to steal (figuratively not literally) from TXU because their 'cash register' is in your yard?

I wouldn't count on 'screwing the man' until you and TXU settle up, and I would bet a weeks pay that you haven't heard the last from TXU. Trust me, the smartest thing you can do is settle up. The 'MAN' has laws on his side.

You might want to read this.

http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/31.04.00.html

Hope you sleep well tonight.

Calm down there hot rod.

screw the man was a figurative joke.

The meter has been fixed since april, and i always pay my bill without complaint, i simply just noticed this one being abnormally high.

Im not trying to fight with TXU, so were "settled up".

As much as you will come in here and argue that its taking money out of your pocket, and/or theoretically someone doing the same to me and taking money out of my pocket, avast majority of people would do the same thing. In some way or another ppl feel theyre getting screwed somewhere somehow in life, and if they cant get a way with one...they will, even if you defend that you wouldnt.

Obviously this wouldnt be the one you hope to get one over on "the man", because your padding your own pocket by paying the light bill, but the meter being broken wasnt by any doing of mine, and i dont need your "compasion" because TXU made a mistake.

EDIT: i read your penal code link, i have not violated any of those policies, i have never touched the meter anyways.

Again thanks for your info, sorry if i stepped on your toes.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

You did not step on my toes. I could care less, nor did you step on Center Points toes. Your business is with TXU.

Pardon me if your several postings have perplexed me.

You went from inquisitive.

any help is appreciated
And I did my level best to help you with your problem.

Then you went a bit further with your explanation.

Then when I read that you only paid $5.95 for 8 months, I was totally speechless. I typed several replies, but could not find the words to state what I was feeling.

I guess this summed it best.

Originally Posted by Eddiep

Again, this money is not coming out of my pocket, but do you realize how absurd it seems that your power bill was only $5.95 a month for 8 months? You bill pay, but somehow or another you should have checked your online banking or your check register. Common sense should have come into play. You never read your light bill and see what is going on with your power usage?

After Eddiep called you out, you then became defiant.

Yea, 'SCREW THE MAN', no similies to indicate a joke, just pure and simple defiance.

Then I try to warn you that you may have a tough road ahead, and basically I honestly replied to your post, then you come back with more explanation.

Then you all of a sudden change everything around.

Calm down there hot rod.

screw the man was a figurative joke.

The meter has been fixed since april, and i always pay my bill without complaint, i simply just noticed this one being abnormally high.

Im not trying to fight with TXU, so were "settled up".

As much as you will come in here and argue that its taking money out of your pocket, and/or theoretically someone doing the same to me and taking money out of my pocket, avast majority of people would do the same thing. In some way or another ppl feel theyre getting screwed somewhere somehow in life, and if they cant get a way with one...they will, even if you defend that you wouldnt.

Obviously this wouldnt be the one you hope to get one over on "the man", because your padding your own pocket by paying the light bill, but the meter being broken wasnt by any doing of mine, and i dont need your "compasion" because TXU made a mistake.

EDIT: i read your penal code link, i have not violated any of those policies, i have never touched the meter anyways.

Again thanks for your info, sorry if i stepped on your toes.
Earlier you stated you pay your bills with auto pay so you don't know your usage. Now you state your bill (usage) was abnormally high. It appears to me your last post was to cover up your defiant post and let everybody know what a solid citizen you are.

You mentioned about 'padding my pocket by paying the light bill' which is pure crap. What tells me everything I need to know is you went 8 months at $5.95 a month for electric usage. You should have called TXU after the second month of $5.95. I guarantee TXU would have gotten us out there.........fast!

The only reason I came into this thread is to aid your concerns with your high light bill and tell you things about your meter. Had I known all this other crap, there is no way I would have posted in this thread.

Last edited by old_goat; 08-12-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J-Rod
hot air rises. So, you want upstairs warmer than downstairs or the upstairs unit tries to cool the whole house. It can be 1-3 degrees of delta betwen upstairs and down.

Let me give you an example. Before my kids were born we kept our upstairs (which wasn't used) at 80 degrees and downstairs at 77. Our highest bill was $190.

My wife set the upstairs colder (76) than downstairs (77), and the bill for last month was $580 because the upstairs unit ran non-stop in that configuration.

So, I am looking at partitioning off the stairs to keep the air from upstairs from running downstairs all the time and to take load off the upstairs unit.

BTW, thank you for the info on the meter.... Great post.
I would ******* **** if I got a $580 bill.

We have a 2 story home with one large unit, it stays on 75 from the afternoon till the morning then I bump it up to 76 since my wife is gone, she likes it cool.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't have A/C in my apartment here in Colorado but it was like 76 outside today so we just open the windows. I got my first electric bill and it was $40. Suckas!