To sell or not to sell...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question To sell or not to sell...

Was cleaning the engine bay of my car this weekend when my neighbor came over to B.S. for a bit... During the conversation, I mentioned I was tossing around the idea of selling the Camaro. He asked how much and I told him I'd probably ask around 10-12k (just tossed out a number). He kinda eyeballed the car and he knows that its garaged and said "yeah, I'd give ya 10 for it".

Now, the car has been running good. Its got ~ 78k on it. Factory clutch is getting low, but it still grabs well. Couple quirks include the A/C not working (common compressor leak), needs a tune (after the LT's were installed)..

Plans for the cash would be to pay off the note on my '03 Trailblazer (daily driver) and maybe put a little money into my '63 Merc. This would make it possible for me to start looking at used C5's or possibly even a C6.

I'm just looking for some feedback here... would you do it? If I counter-offered at $11k would you?

Some pics...
http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/t...99%20HO%20Z28/
Old 08-31-2009, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Not to burst your bubble, but if somebody offered me 10k for a 10 yr old car thats only worth between 6-8k, I would jump all over it in a sec.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Banned

Al from SAFBA here...Damn still love that car...want to trade your (2) front seats for my full set of tan leather before you let it go? Lol Anhow yah for $10k go for it! If you ever wanted to buy another 4th gen. trust me they are a dime a dozen. Besides you can later pick up a USED 2010 Camaro if your Vette plans fall thru. Pm'ed you about that tuning issue.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah, you aren't bursting my bubble. Its probably accurate to say a stock '99 Z with 79k miles is worth 7-8k. I have mods that I could remove if I were selling it to a regular joe that would probably come close to making up the $2k difference... So in that sense its not a spectacular deal...

Just trying to get some opinions ... all are welcomed.

(edit) and I can't stand the 2010 Camaro rear end as it is... I still got your number, bro. Life has just been crazy with school starting up, but I'll be getting with ya soon.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

I'd keep the car if its paid off and you are no need of money.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Bet your neighbor is all talk. Tell him to buy it, bet his story changes.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Bet your neighbor is all talk. Tell him to buy it, bet his story changes.
While you may be right, that's not exactly the feedback I was looking for...lol.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it, until someone who offers to buy it, shows you cash in hand. It's a nice looking car, and if it's payed off, why not keep it?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2Tightwads
Besides you can later pick up a USED 2010 Camaro if your Vette plans fall thru. Pm'ed you about that tuning issue.
from what i seen around texas. buying a new one is more of a bargain than a used one. seen a few dealers in houston alone selling used ones with 4-7k miles on them for anywheres between 42-49k$ doesnt seem to be a shortage of people buying them either.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had a few offers like that on my T/A, especially after the Fikses, it's hard to say who would actually nut up and buy it
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

your car looks good man. i would actually keep it unless, you are gonna get more than what its worth. the more money i have dumped in this car, and the fact that i got 1 year or so left on a car note, i actually appreciate these cars alot. so i would just go ahead and keep it.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's what really happens when you go to sell your F-body:

• Nobody wants to buy a modded car. Remove as many mods as you can and sell them.
    • Corollary 1: As soon as you sell your mods, someone will ask about your car. When you tell them what you have left, they will tell you they were only interested in it because of the parts you just sold.
    • Corollary 2: As soon as someone buys your now un-modded car, they will turn around and do the exact same mods you had.
  • Everybody wants a deal. I'm all for getting the most for your money, but if you ask $10K, someone will come along and offer you "$7500 CASH IN HAND!" Be thick skinned, or prepare to feel insulted.
  • "How much for just one rib?" People are trying to finish up their project, and since you obviously don't want your car anymore, they figure you'll just sell them whatever random part they need for nothing.
    • Corollary 1: Usually, it's some part your car needs to function, like a starter motor.
    • Corollary 2: If someone asks you to sell them just one header (or, my other favorite, one tire), you are within your rights to kick them in the dickhole.
  • A car never SELLS for what it is WORTH. Your car might be worth $10K, but when you go through all the hassle to sell it, you'll be lucky to get anything close to that. There are a lot of folks who say they'll pay $10K for your car, but when it comes time to put their money where their mouth is, they won't.
    • Corollary: Ask more than you think you should, but set a realistic base price you'd settle for.
  • Treat prospective buyers with respect. I had two people really interested in buying the car. One even gave me a deposit, and we shook on it. There was a little issue with the fuel pump, which I had repaired (at my expense). When the buyer came back and test drove again, he got cold feet and backed out. I gave him back his money, no hard feelings, and we went our separate ways. He ended up buying a different car after all, but I slept well knowing everything was above board. If you give off a "I don't HAVE to sell it to you! I have all the control here!" vibe, you'll have a hard time. Oh, and neither of the original two buyers worked out. I ended up selling to a guy who kind of came out of nowhere.

A couple years ago, I listed my Z28 for sale. It had a ton of really nice suspension mods, a 12-bolt, custom wheels, and was in generally immaculate condition. I asked $10K at first, but had a "would take for" price in mind. After parting out the 12-bolt (which was a NIGHTMARE, since the intended swap for the 10-bolt fell through and I ended up having to piece one together), the shocks and springs, and paying for the fuel pump replacement, I ended up clearing about $9200. That was within my "acceptable" range, so I walked away happy, and three LS1Tech people had new toys to play with. The guy who bought my car has done a bunch of stuff to it and is enjoying the hell out of it, which is really all I wanted.

Fact is, the market for 4th gen F-bodies really sorta sucks.

-Mike

Last edited by chupr0kabra; 08-31-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Addendum: When you sell your F-body and get a C5 or C6, you've elevated yourself into a world where F-body no longer are cool to hang around with so you become all uppity and no longer go to the car meets. And once you do you find out you have just another C5 or C6 like everyone else!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

For 10k I think I would sell it, for 7k hell no.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

i would have threw that guy in my car and personally drove him to the bank and said "i tell you what, TODAY i'll let you take it for $9500 cuz your my neighbor".
Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
Addendum: When you sell your F-body and get a C5 or C6, you've elevated yourself into a world where F-body no longer are cool to hang around with so you become all uppity and no longer go to the car meets. And once you do you find out you have just another C5 or C6 like everyone else!

Yeah yeah. I was at Hooters on Memorial Day Weekend. Didn't see you there. I spent more time talking to Joe and the few F-body guys that showed up than the Vette guys. Only other car event I've been to since I got the Vette was LMR's dyno day.

If the weather holds this weekend, I'll make it out. Will YOU be there?

-Mike
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Here's what really happens when you go to sell your F-body:

Fact is, the market for 4th gen F-bodies really sorta sucks.

-Mike
Most realistic post I've read in a while.

On a side note, it took me a year and a half to sell my Comp T/A. I got my price, and just like Mike's story the real buyer came out of nowhere.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah yeah. I was at Hooters on Memorial Day Weekend. Didn't see you there. I spent more time talking to Joe and the few F-body guys that showed up than the Vette guys. Only other car event I've been to since I got the Vette was LMR's dyno day.

-Mike
HAHA, nice, but...

Memorial Day w/e was what, 3 months ago? I've been there virtually every weekend since then! I was there last week. I was there the weekend before. Where were YOU? Cleaning your spit-valve? Hehe...

Bring the damn car so I can at least SAY I've seen it!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

-Mike
You have a really fine Vette!

-Joe
Old 10-23-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what should I do with $12k?