Where can i get a full color change paint job

Old 10-01-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where can i get a full color change paint job

like the title says, i got a 2001 red ss that i want to color change to black. looking for the full detail job, engine bay, under body, door jams etc. looking to see if anybody might have some deals or know of good places. just testing the waters to see whats out there. thanks
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont bring it to my shop hahaha. that's a ton of labor if you do it the right way. i think the last full color change i saw was 6k
Old 10-01-2009, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richey Road Collision is where I would go - But it's going to be expensive.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Man 6k actually doesn't sound bad for a full color change. In my opinion find a black car, that's a lot of work to change colors, or at least do some motor work while it's all taken apart.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Teching In

if your willing to go to san antonio i know a guy who does bad *** work
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Launching!

how much does your guy do a full color change for around... i live in san antonio
Old 10-01-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They can probably do it where I work for $1500 at most if the engine is already out and the door and interior panels are already out. Are you trying to have the underside like the floor pans painted too? Your going to pay out of your *** for all that, it's not worth it since no one is every going to look under your car plus some 4th gen cars had different color undersides.

Here is my car...

Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Teching In

buy a black car...I know that sounds like an *** hole thing to say but you would probably come out ahead if you sale yours and buy black
Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

dont paint it black if anything. ask anyone on this site that owns a black car. its a PITA, but it is the best looking color once its cleaned up. ask me how i know.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
dont paint it black if anything. ask anyone on this site that owns a black car. its a PITA, but it is the best looking color once its cleaned up. ask me how i know.
I hear ya, I have to wash and vacuum my car EVERY time I drive it, which is only a few times a week. I park in a sand pit so the vacuuming has become a habit.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

run if your not wanting to clean and detail almost every time you drive, but it looks awesome once done- thats the major lesson I learned when I got mine...imo I wouldn't get it done in black. I would do hugger orange.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

ok im not buying another car. i never set a price limit so 6k is around what i figured. Im set on black thanks for the opinions on that but im gonna paint the car the color i like you know lol. the under belly i want done to, doesn't have to be anything like the body just ur standard underside paint job for a black car. ohh and i want to use ppg paint only and best quality clear coat. so theres something to work with. also lets say i take all the glass out myself and interior panels just for conversation sake then what are we looking at??

Last edited by John98LS1; 10-02-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=retardedpenguin;12305337]They can probably do it where I work for $1500 at most if the engine is already out and the door and interior panels are already out. Are you trying to have the underside like the floor pans painted too? Your going to pay out of your *** for all that, it's not worth it since no one is every going to look under your car plus some 4th gen cars had different color undersides.

can you give me some details, 1500 seems way to low for the quality work im looking for, i think i estimated just around 1400 to 1700 just for materials
Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are you located in Houston? If you want you can come look at my car for comparisons. $1500 in supplies is just rediculous. Even a badass House of Kolor black wouldn't be near that in supplies, I looked into it for my car. I ended up only going single stage and I looks great, mine was only $350 total with the employee discount.
Come up and talk to the boss man and tell him what you want done and he can work you a deal
Just trying to save you some money man.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

I'm with cool guy that sounds cheap. Cuz when I painted my truck last year I bought my stuff for cost from a local body shop and I spent about 300 on my primer. I got burnt out after I got it in primer and I paid $1800 to have it finished and that guy cut me a good deal and all they did was finish sanding and paint I assembled it. Course my truck is alot bigger than a camaro, but still material is exspensive.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
$1500 in supplies is just rediculous. Even a badass House of Kolor black wouldn't be near that in supplies, I looked into it for my car. I ended up only going single stage and I looks great, mine was only $350 total with the employee discount.
Well thats why yours was cheap, you went single stage. My father and I painted his chevelle black with PPG paints and went BCCC. I know materials and all came to well over 1k. Now keep in mind some of that was prep materials, sandpaper, polishing compounds etc, but primer, base, and clear plus all the reducers and activators etc. you needed for each came close to the 1K mark.

Also we have a third gen we had painted with single stage, and parked next to eachother, you can clearly see the quality differences in the paint. The BCCC looks deep and rich, the single stage looks decent.

To the OP, i don't know if you have considered it, or have the place to do it, but have you thought about doing it yourself? Its not all that hard, its a bit time consuming but in all its a rewarding experience and even buying the tools you would need you will come out cheaper. If not 6k sounds about right to get it done right. If you are on the north side of houston shoot me a PM I know a guy that does great work, and is somewhat reasonable too. He also does custom airbrush work as well in case you had considered that.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for Richey Collision. They've worked on two of my cars now and I'll never go anywhere else for paint work or collision work ever again, at least as long as they are still open and I'm in Texas!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Where are you located in Houston? If you want you can come look at my car for comparisons. $1500 in supplies is just rediculous. Even a badass House of Kolor black wouldn't be near that in supplies, I looked into it for my car. I ended up only going single stage and I looks great, mine was only $350 total with the employee discount.
Come up and talk to the boss man and tell him what you want done and he can work you a deal
Just trying to save you some money man.
i appreciate the help man. just making sure if we where talking apples to apples. but like others have said thats a single stage paint job and its like night day compared to what im looking for. im over on the north side of houston (1960/290).
Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Go to Metropolitan Collision...(832) 618-1700...They do body and paint...they work on lambos and exotics...talk to matt...tell him Joey sent you. Very good work.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

i got mine done on bay area blvd, place is called protech auto collision, i think they did a very good job on mine and would recomend them to anyone.

had my car painted viper steel gray, they did everything except for the engine bay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where can i get a full color change paint job