TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1_bean
i hate that feeling, man that sucks my thing shribbles up when that happens
must resist
Old 03-23-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to hydroplane quite often, hence I now have the Z71 for rainy days.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
you just got lucky. enjoy the amount of overconfidence that it gave you, because it could get taken away from you next time that it rains
I bought rain-friendly street tires and got rid of my balding 555 front/555R rear setup because it was going to rain and I didn't want to risk driving on balding tires in the rain, because that (aside from not accelerating too fast in low-traction situations) is a major part of how you hydroplane without your control (hydroplaning when you're still driving slower than ****). I don't push my luck. OP's front right tire looks OK. I'm just guessing he was just accelerating too fast in the wrong place. It happens to all of us every now and then.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
That sucks man... Time for a new car!

I agree with you. I've driven my car through a Colorado snow storm with near-bald summer tires and an automatic trans without second gear start in 3" of snow in the middle of a snowstorm and made it out in one piece without any damage to my car. I even had to reverse down a mountain for 15 minutes because the sharp bank of the roadway made my car slide sideways when other cars were passing me up seemingly easily. You just have to know what speed is safe for the conditions. Knowing your cars power and how it handles that power in low-traction situations is key. Having a blowout is unavoidable but losing control because you had your foot on the throttle in a low-traction situation or around a corner is a different situation. Too many puddles in the right lane? Move to the left lane. Hit the puddles in the right lane and spun out? You were going too fast over those puddles for your tires. As the driver of the vehicle you are expected to be in control of the vehicle at all times, this includes BEFORE your catastrophic loss of control from hitting a puddle.

Now, patches of [black] ice and snow everywhere I can understand if you lose control. Puddles of standing water, not so much.
I could not have done it any faster (merge to left lane) without it being dangerous or stupid. I merged onto the freeway in timely and reasonable manner without resorting to stomping on the throttle. There was also a reasonable (moderate) amount of traffic when I was merging so I merged accordingly. People over simplify how these accidents occur without really knowing what variables are at play. I did not stomp on the gas, I merged smoothly to the left lane at a reasonable speed of 55mph, that is when it all went downhill.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Teching In

I have learned my lesson about driving in the rain. I will avoid the freeways and drive on the feeders whenever possible maybe even take the back streets.

I did get a new car - 2001 SS Pewter (stock)
Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to hear =//
Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Teching In

i'll buy your wheels if you want to sell them
Old 03-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Teching In

sorry i dont have the car anymore
Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Default Update: Not good - getting sued

Well as it turns out the lady in other car is suing me!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

18 months later? What for?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

ouch... Goodluck!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:04 AM
12 Second Club

That sucks man, I almost had a similar situation recently near the same location. Had just gotten onto 225 eastbound off of 610, torrential downpour hit, I slowed down to 40-45 mph, am putting along in the middle lane, next thing I know I can see the car in the far right lane smack dab in the middle of my windshield, with no warning I was drifting at about a 45+* angle, luckily I was able to countersteer and right the car before hitting another car or the wall...
Old 11-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Teching In

I cant really get into too many specifics since its still an active lawsuit. But I could reveal a couple of things.

The letter does not specify how much she is suing me for. But she is suing for past, current, and potential future pain and loss of faculties, and loss of wages. Apparently she went over the limit set by my insurance company. I had full cover so I thought I was covered, but apparently I'm not.

I don't have any money and I don't own any real assets, so I am wondering what she expects to get from me. I'm a college student and what I do have is student debt (negative money). I literally have zero dollars in the bank. Ok maybe around $3, but I doubt that's gonna be enough for her.

The lawsuit describes that I acted in a "careless and negligent manner." WTF??? The first time I read the letter, specifically the portion that outlines the allegations, I couldn't keep myself from bursting out laughing. The way the lawsuit is worded (the accusations and allegations) makes it seem frivolous and unbelievable. Here is an example: "failed to timely make application of his brakes." Really? I had no control over my vehicle! The breaks had absolutely no effect. The rest of the accusations are just as ridiculous. Here is another one, "In failing to timely swerve or otherwise maneuver his vehicle so as to avoid the collision made the basis of this suit." Again WOW.

Whenever I'm cleared to reveal more about the case I will do so.

Anyone else been in this situation, if so what went down?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Have you notified you insurance that you have been served?

There is a 2 year statue limitation on this law suit. It ie a common practice to file 23 months after the accident.

The claim adjuster for my accident called me 18 months to make sure I had not been served and to remind me to call him immediately if I was served.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

if the police report states that you no control of vehicle then let it go to courts and there are limits as to how much she can sue for on injuries and crap
Old 11-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Teching In

The accident occured on November 21st of 2009, she filed the suit on November 5th 2011. My insurance company already knows about the lawsuit.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

if you have nothing.........she can only get what the limits of your insurance are......as you stated .....she was not even in her car......dont sweat it.......after her lawyer realizes she wont be gettin much......it will settle real fast
Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

and it was YOUR car....on YOUR insurance.....right?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
if you have nothing.........she can only get what the limits of your insurance are......as you stated .....she was not even in her car......dont sweat it.......after her lawyer realizes she wont be gettin much......it will settle real fast
I would imagine the lawyer would have pulled public records ahead of time. Like job status, land ownership, and registered vehicles... then again some lawyers are complete tools.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Launching!

They can get a judgement against you which can last for about 7 years I think. If you do ever purchase land or something of value and then turn around and sell it, they'll get their take out of it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Police Camaro B4C - Hydroplane accident