least favortie thing about working on cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default least favortie thing about working on cars

i am by no means a mechanic, although i am learning. i want to learn how to do everything, and just love working on cars, from trying to diagnose problems to fixing them. well my g/f trucks ball joints were really bad *p.o.s. dodges!!!!* and i wanted to just replace the both upper and lower control arms but they were ~250 a pop so i decided to try and tackle the job just replacing the ball joints. that was a bitch they were some stubborn *** ball joints, those damn rivits dont come out easy, they were just a plain bitch!!! i never want to have to do that again!!! took me about 10 hours to finish the job, im sure some of yall can do it faster but like i said i am by no means a flippin mechanic.

so what is your least fav. thing to do on a car? not really talking about mods just talking about replacing bad parts.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
i am by no means a mechanic, although i am learning. i want to learn how to do everything, and just love working on cars, from trying to diagnose problems to fixing them. well my g/f trucks ball joints were really bad *p.o.s. dodges!!!!* and i wanted to just replace the both upper and lower control arms but they were ~250 a pop so i decided to try and tackle the job just replacing the ball joints. that was a bitch they were some stubborn *** ball joints, those damn rivits dont come out easy, they were just a plain bitch!!! i never want to have to do that again!!! took me about 10 hours to finish the job, im sure some of yall can do it faster but like i said i am by no means a flippin mechanic.

so what is your least fav. thing to do on a car? not really talking about mods just talking about replacing bad parts.
i will never do another set of ball joints without air tools. i am not a mechanic either. you would not believe what a cheap *** set of tools does to help with those ******* rivits.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:56 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worst part for me right now, is knowing in the back of my head that if I don't get it fixed, I won't have anything to drive to work in the next day
Old 08-28-2010, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

I LOATHE coolant. I can't stand the smell, the texture, the mess it makes, the occasional taste when it splashes into your face, or anything about it. It is the worst thing about doing major mods to a car as far as I am concerned.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Worst part for me right now, is knowing in the back of my head that if I don't get it fixed, I won't have anything to drive to work in the next day
I agree 10000%. I rode my GSXR for 3 months in college while my motor was blown + getting replaced. Got to be a PITA. I swore to never again mod a car unless I had a DD.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a hot coolant shower one time. It was awesome!

I hate fixing things that I already fixed before. Do it right the first time.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

This, and since I work on them for a paycheck, I really don't wanna work on mine all that often(which I can't avoid). For future reference though, catapillar diesel coolant tastes a lot better than dexcool.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

absolutely hate brake fluid and coolant, the rest i can handle. suspension stuff can suck. i remember when i did my shocks, it took me about 3 days because everything that could go wrong, did. cars 14 years old, so every single bolt seized, nothing came apart, bolts stripped and/or snapped. my buddy got hit in the face by a coil spring lol. plus i had to go to work, so had to abandon the project at 7am, have my friend drive me home, showered, drove sisters car to work at 9, got off at 5, and went back to the project until about 10pm the next day.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The one thing I hate.....small nuts/bolts in tight spaces. I can deal with almost anything else.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:11 AM
9 Second Club

westtexasbuff could of said it any better. I absolutely hate thrashing to get your vehicle running the day before you have to go to work. last time i did this my dad was cool enough to total my dd for me, so i had to buy a transmission for my s10 (the one in my sig). that means a complete tear down. front clip comes off then engine/tranny combo comes out. fix any little problems i see, then RR it. I had it out and in on a sat then hooking everything else up sun then drove it to work as a dd for a few months.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

My favorite part is the accidental blast in the eyes with a can of carb cleaner. Gotta love that!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

I recall changing my torque arm bushing with the car on jack stands was no fun at all. Also did a transmission swap the same way, NO FUN!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you put it all together and it doesn't work.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
When you put it all together and it doesn't work.
Worse yet... You put it all back together and have the same exact issue you had before you "fixed" it.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

The 1 thing i cant stand is the TEXAS HEAT. Nothing worse than a car coming in at 210F and its alreay 100+ outside and they wanted it fixed yesterday!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

anything electrical. i hate chasing down shorts, or bad grounds. chopped wires are my nitemare. i have turned away electrical diagnoses or repairs on cars.

once took a job to find a short on one car. rats or rodents chewed on wires that just happen to control basic engine functions. i had to pretty much rewire it all again. car had been setting. pests went to town on the soy based wire sheathing
Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dodge vehicles, mine at least.
Hate the coolant too, specially when it gets on your head/hair. Power steering fluid sucks, too. LT1 spark plugs and wires.

I don't mind the difficult mods since I know I'll be happy at the end.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Breaking a nail. Nothing ruins your day like that!!

Seriously though, trying to work on a HOT engine. Augh!! Add Texas heat and that just sucks.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a wonderful time pulling the damn alternator out. I sweared so much, neighbors showed to see what was happening. I politely told them to get the **** out my property, this was between GM and me! LOL!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Working in the sun