Engineering student argues that a Volkswagen with a 500 dollar chip can hit 11.5's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engineering student argues that a Volkswagen with a 500 dollar chip can hit 11.5's?

As the title says today i went along to the engineering lab and i sat down and loged on to my computer like any other day, kid bounces into the lab gets in my face and says hes going to squash my car into a ball with his rx-8 because it rev up to 10k and it can turn better then my car. so i go ahead and start to discuss my track times. ( i know i ain't toreto so im not hitting 10's or am i not mr.powell or RCC) so he goes ahead and tell me hes getting a volkswagen not sure what model but i assume the GTI ,guy shows me a pic of the car and tell me with a 500$$ "chip" that car can reach the 11's in no time and woop my *** in the track. And goes along with saying ive spent so much money on my car just to reach my best time of 12.9.....

So i kinda wanted to share this with my fellow texas members to give you guys a nice read
and ask one very very important Question ..... is there a such heaven like "chip" that can push a VW into the 11.5's? because if so i think i might ditch my pontiac and go german?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 PM
12 Second Club

or you could just buy a kit for your existing car and go 11's
Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Engineering lab with what proffessor? I have intro to engineering lab on Mondays with William Berg, maybe I should stop over to your class to talk with this guy and his "fast" volkswagen
Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just tell him to buy it, then race him. my friend with a mustang does that crap to me all the time and he has only beat me once because i broke my shifter.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
Engineering lab with what proffessor? I have intro to engineering lab on Mondays with William Berg, maybe I should stop over to your class to talk with this guy and his "fast" volkswagen
Its the open lab in set b "technology lab" no professor there just a open lab for engineers
What car do u have i might of seen it around
Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 78novacaine
or you could just buy a kit for your existing car and go 11's
will try to sir hopefully by dec im be able to post some nice times
im a student so i have to manage my money smartly....
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
will try to sir hopefully by dec im be able to post some nice times
im a student so i have to manage my money smartly....
Trust me I know how that goes man, I just graduated this year and it ain't any easier, not yet anyways!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 78novacaine
Trust me I know how that goes man, I just graduated this year and it ain't any easier, not yet anyways!
Just keep on working hard man
BTW nice looking z.
looks sweet.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
Its the open lab in set b "technology lab" no professor there just a open lab for engineers
What car do u have i might of seen it around
It's a white v6 97 T-top camaro, it has a little black cat figurine on the dash and a bumper sticker that says Carsponsors.com

I've definitely seen your WS6, I even saw it these morning parked in the rear parking lot way out there away from the LHSB.
Attached Thumbnails Engineering student argues that a Volkswagen with a 500 dollar chip can hit 11.5's?-img00093.jpg   Engineering student argues that a Volkswagen with a 500 dollar chip can hit 11.5's?-img00092.jpg  
Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
It's a white v6 97 T-top camaro, it has a little black cat figurine on the dash and a bumper sticker that says Carsponsors.com

I've definitely seen your WS6, I even saw it these morning parked in the rear parking lot way out there away from the LHSB.
Yes sir thats me, ill always be around set be or the life and health.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Now going back to my original question can it be possible for a effing chip to boost up a GTI into the 11's?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

ROFL hell no there isnt a wonder chip only way hes in the 11s is if he got alot more boost
Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Well your an engineering student, so lets think and talk some basics.

Googling it from the factory it has 200 hp at the crank and weighs in at 3034 in the 2 door model, 80 pounds more if you get the 4 door. Goes 0 to 60 in 6.8 seconds. It's a turbo charged 4 cylinder, rolling a small turbo, some say it's cabable of 350ish hp... others say 450....

When you look at that weight and compare it to say other known cars that light (c6z06) you know that those cars are pushign 505 crank hp, and they are in the 11's. The GTI is front wheel drive. Going to drag times.com there are only 4, yes 4 cars faster then a 12 second that have recorded their times with a GTI.

So back to this guy talking smack, have you ever been to the track? has he? Let me tell you it aint easy. I thought I could go and run a great time in my z, give me a break I struggled. Do what the one guy said and tell him to get it and lets race.

First off if his car is stock it won't run 11.5
2) even if he does chip it, the turbo can not support the hp to get to 500+ hp which is what your gonna require for that time.
3) if he does have 505 hp it's a front wheel drive which we all know he is gonna smoke the tires.
4) Anything can go wrong in racing, and if he has never raced, and you have you have an advantage
5) Just tell him to STFU until he gets out there and races.

so no I'd say there isn't a chip out there that gets it that fast.

*all the stats I based where off the 2010 gti, I found on google, I know nothing else about these cars.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Domsz06

Googling it from the factory it has 200 hp at the crank and weighs in at 3034 in the 2 door model, 80 pounds more if you get the 4 door. Goes 0 to 60 in 6.8 seconds. It's a turbo charged 4 cylinder, rolling a small turbo, some say it's cabable of 350ish hp... others say 450....

When you look at that weight and compare it to say other known cars that light (c6z06) you know that those cars are pushign 505 crank hp, and they are in the 11's. The GTI is front wheel drive. Going to drag times.com there are only 4, yes 4 cars faster then a 12 second that have recorded their times with a GTI.

So back to this guy talking smack, have you ever been to the track? has he? Let me tell you it aint easy. I thought I could go and run a great time in my z, give me a break I struggled. Do what the one guy said and tell him to get it and lets race.

2) even if he does chip it, the turbo can not support the hp to get to 500+ hp which is what your gonna require for that time.
3) if he does have 505 hp it's a front wheel drive which we all know he is gonna smoke the tires.
4) Anything can go wrong in racing, and if he has never raced, and you have you have an advantage

*all the stats I based where off the 2010 gti, I found on google, I know nothing else about these cars.

very true, a former coworker has one and with a cai, chipped GTI it wasn't enough to even talk about he said. he bought it for its fun to drive capabilities though, not power. if i showed him this he would laugh and ask where can he get said "chip".
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

11.5 mpg's maybe
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

F=MA

He needs a **** ton more F to ge the A he wants. This should be obvious.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats what i had in mind, But like also you said you dont know much about these cars and neither do I!
And thats another fact he has still not gotten this gti
Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

11.5 in the 1/8, maybe
Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Never argue w/an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spritle
Never argue w/an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
I love that quote!!