What's the biggest HP drain in a cam'd car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brokenfly
valve springs...

Loss of compression...

Dragging brakes...

Flat tire...

Low fuel pressure...

60 mph head wind...

Lose throttle cable...
lmfao
Old 10-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
And westtexasbuff, going strong right? Didn't you blow up your whole motor like 4 months ago?
Cracked a valvespring sir. Comp 918s FTL.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Cracked a valvespring sir. Comp 918s FTL.
That sucks, what all did it mess up? Takes too long to look for the thread lol.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
The stock SS that I raced is known to be an absolute freak. I've seen it take down cam cars from a dig.

I'm gonna do springs first I guess. And I'll do a leak down test on it while I'm there. I've looked at brakes, flat tires, fuel pressure etc.

Idk about the whole O2 sensor thing... I'd think that they are either good or bad, no in between, but I'm not 100% on that so don't get mad at me.

I'll mess around with some small stuff and testing before I get too worried about it being something big.
I don't care how much of a "freak it is", a cam'd car should never get drug by a stock car... Especially with a cam like a MS3. Unless it wasn't installed right? Who installed it? A buddy of mine made 450 cam only with a MS3... check your tune, plugs/wires/exhaust leaks somewhere/02s/etc... something's not right. It's not the cam... Either that, or he's lying to you and spraying you...

It's happened to me; "Yeah I'm stock, just full exhaust and tune... me: ok lets race... him: wait what mods do you have me: just cam and full exhaust (back then) him: ok lets go" I get drug by like 3 cars... yeah... bullshit. I later found out he was spraying with one of those stealth kits.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
I don't care how much of a "freak it is", a cam'd car should never get drug by a stock car... Especially with a cam like a MS3. Unless it wasn't installed right? Who installed it? A buddy of mine made 450 cam only with a MS3... check your tune, plugs/wires/exhaust leaks somewhere/02s/etc... something's not right. It's not the cam... Either that, or he's lying to you and spraying you...

It's happened to me; "Yeah I'm stock, just full exhaust and tune... me: ok lets race... him: wait what mods do you have me: just cam and full exhaust (back then) him: ok lets go" I get drug by like 3 cars... yeah... bullshit. I later found out he was spraying with one of those stealth kits.
I have drug several cam cars with my old mild bolt on car, it's called traction and not doing this ~~>

And if your buddy made 450 on stock ls1 heads with no spray I find that pretty damn hard to believe, maybe he has ls6 heads and is not telling you? Either that, or that is a VERY giving dyno maybe...
Old 10-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Launching!

He's been accused of spraying, but no one has found it. Plus, we were going 65-70mph and I only put it in 3rd. I could have squeezed in a second or 2 of 2nd gear to get my momentum up.

I had a small "exhaust leak" where my Y-pipe came back together, but it looked like a wheep hole to me. Idk if it's ok for a weep hole to be at the Y.

My PCV valve has a coat of oil on it, but last time I smoke tested the intake, it didn't leak any air.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I'm thinking of the same car eric is talkin about that car does run pretty hard...is it a pewter ta by any chance?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure he had stock heads but I don't remember if they were ls1 or ls6 heads
Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Launching!

If you're talking about the car I raced, no. It's an '02 NBM SS with CME
Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

No Joe not talking about you...different guy...Austin area
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 78novacaine
I have drug several cam cars with my old mild bolt on car, it's called traction and not doing this ~~>

And if your buddy made 450 on stock ls1 heads with no spray I find that pretty damn hard to believe, maybe he has ls6 heads and is not telling you? Either that, or that is a VERY giving dyno maybe...
I'm talking about a properly set up cam car. If that were the case then why do people cam cars? If bolt-ons were enough, then no one would cam their cars and we'd all just roll around with bolt-ons...

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
If I'm thinking of the same car eric is talkin about that car does run pretty hard...is it a pewter ta by any chance?
Yeah the pewter TA, Shane. When he dyno'd 450, it was cam with full exhaust. It's a LS6 short block with low miles (not that it'd make a difference, same displacement), with 241 heads, I saw the heads. He now has PRC heads though, but when he dyno'd 450 it was with 241 heads.

He's been accused of spraying, but no one has found it.
Tell him to pop the hood and take off the lid.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Lol. People have done it before, but no lines anywhere.

I'm not saying that a cam car couldn't beat a bolt on or that a bolt on should give a cam car a good race. But milage on a motor does bring down the power. They loose tolerances and aren't fresh. It'd be like saying that someone could run a marathon after spending a day doing yard work better than after a fresh night's sleep.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

It'd be like saying that someone could run a marathon after spending a day doing yard work better than after a fresh night's sleep.
That logic would make sense if people were built to do yard work all day and spend the rest of the day to run marathons.

Granted, yes, with mileage these motors will deteriorate (like any motor) but 114K is not that many miles, like I said, IF well maintained.

I don't know what problems you may have with the car man, but the cam is not the problem, it's a proven cam...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats the exact car i was thinking of...the kit doesn't have to be under the lid...might be made into the inside of the intake...I'm not saying he is or isnt spraying...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like stated above I've never seen any complaints about that particular cam not making good numbers
Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Launching!

No I'm not complaining about the cam. I love my MS3. I'm just saying there's something wrong with my car.

But who knows... Maybe it's just the adaptations from driving like a grandma from the bad clutch. I've been trying to over ride that by doing WOT, but shifting short.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Driver mod maybe?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I've seen guys drill holes in the back of blocks and put bulkhead fittings, and run fogger nozzles into the bottom of the intake ports. But yours probaby needs the tune looked at, and probably valve springs and an all around tuneup.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Banned

Nitro Daves Money Maker LS6 Intake FTW!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NoTractionLS1
Nitro Daves Money Maker LS6 Intake FTW!
Yep. I thought about that first thing when he said there wasn't anything hidden under the lid.