What's the biggest HP drain in a cam'd car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats exactly what I was talking about...I didn't every think about drilling a hole in the back of the block...id like to see that to see exactly how its done...don't know if I would try it thou
Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha no guys I am not spraying! My car is stock and I have had more than one person tear my car apart looking for a kit. Alex there is something wrong with your car cause I was waiting for you to come around me like I was sitting still. You need to stop by Sqr and let them take a look at it.....that's 2 of your cars I took down now lol
Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Joe go find another stock car that is similar to his and if its the same out come his car didn't beat you because its a freak...it beat you because yours is a slouch...easiest way to find out...or hit the dyno and compare current numbers to the numbers immediately after the install
Old 10-14-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

115k miles is a lot, especially when most of those miles were backed with an MS3.

There's really nothing "wrong" with your car but set aside some cash and spend some money on your babe. Fix all the little issues, have it buffed/waxed, freshen up the motor and re-tune it. Nothing like a fresh car

Finally fixed my headlight motor, window motor, gave it a good bad and shampoo'd it and fell in love with my car again.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Michael, what gear did you punch it in? 2nd or 3rd?

Idk what's wrong with my car. I'm gonna get it on a dyno I guess...

I swapped out my gf's IAT sensor with mine since I have her's bypassed.

I am gonna go to my exhaust guy soon and see if that "weep hole" is supoosed to be there on my Y pipe.

I'm gonna check plugs this weekend. Maybe I'll do a tune up and give myself an excuse to buy Hotwirez. Plus I can get any NGK plugs for $5 a piece...

And I'm gonna attempt to port and polish my TB on Sat...

What coils is it that everyone likes to put on their cars? They're off a stock truck, but have more power...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

I was in 3rd gear. Yeah maybe you need the driver mod?? Haha jk
Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Jeeze, three pages and nobody has told you that your fuel filter is clogged. This is the most common cause of "lack of power" on the planet.

Vernon
Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Jeeze, three pages and nobody has told you that your fuel filter is clogged. This is the most common cause of "lack of power" on the planet.

Vernon
I think that is covered in upkeep and maintenance of the vehicle to keep it in top shape
Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
Michael, what gear did you punch it in? 2nd or 3rd?

Idk what's wrong with my car. I'm gonna get it on a dyno I guess...

I swapped out my gf's IAT sensor with mine since I have her's bypassed.

I am gonna go to my exhaust guy soon and see if that "weep hole" is supoosed to be there on my Y pipe.

I'm gonna check plugs this weekend. Maybe I'll do a tune up and give myself an excuse to buy Hotwirez. Plus I can get any NGK plugs for $5 a piece...

And I'm gonna attempt to port and polish my TB on Sat...

What coils is it that everyone likes to put on their cars? They're off a stock truck, but have more power...
TR55- $1.99 each. Get a new fuel filter. New wires $60.00 8.5 MSD Super conductors. Get a re-tune. Clean out your air filter. Sea-foam it. Change the oil. All this should put you back where it should be. And don't waste your money on coil packs. If it is still a turd, then it is something else. And if you are gonna attempt to do you TB yourself make sure you know what your doing or it will end up looking like you took a chain saw to it.....honestly I would just buy a Shaner One.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NoTractionLS1
TR55- $1.99 each. Get a new fuel filter. New wires $60.00 8.5 MSD Super conductors. Get a re-tune. Clean out your air filter. Sea-foam it. Change the oil. All this should put you back where it should be. And don't waste your money on coil packs. If it is still a turd, then it is something else. And if you are gonna attempt to do you TB yourself make sure you know what your doing or it will end up looking like you took a chain saw to it.....honestly I would just buy a Shaner One.
X2...

BTW, NAPA has the TR55 for $1.89
Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Did you use to work under chase hatcher?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
It's a Texas-Speed tune that was done with the cam almost 90k miles ago.
I just barely saw this... This could be your problem, since you've ran the same valvesprings on a huge cam for 90K miles...

I would start out with the cheap stuff first though. Get new plugs and msd wires, what heat range plug are you running? If you're heads/cam get some TR6s, I left mine gapped to .35 and it runs and idles great, even on cold startup.

If that don't fix the issue, look at all your emissions/exhaust to see if there could be anything wrong; exhaust leaks, bad o2s, etc...

Are you speed density, or MAF tuned? The altitude changes could be affecting your tune...

If all else fails, get it re-tuned man... if that doesn't fix it, swap valvesprings, if that doesn't fix it... well then idk.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea thats what i was talking about earlier with changing springs...alot of the bigger cams say that you need to change springs out every like 15k miles or so...different cams different sizes different numbers...upkeep and maintenance
Old 10-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
yea thats what i was talking about earlier with changing springs...alot of the bigger cams say that you need to change springs out every like 15k miles or so...different cams different sizes different numbers...upkeep and maintenance
Wow I did not catch that.....yes he should deff change out those valve springs. I am surprised he has not broke one yet.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

how long has that guy owned the t/a? i had a buddy who sold a trans am a few yrs back. it had an mti stealth 2 cam.. made 390rwhp with an m6
Old 10-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Yeah I used to work WITH Chase Hatcher. Back in the day he was just a regular ole mechanic. Not some fancy manager.

I'm gonna play with the car tomorrow. I need to figure this **** out. It's bugging the hell out of me. I thought some of the NGKs were more expensive than that... Nevermind. Or maybe I was looking at Bosch's super quattro plutonium-iradium infused gold plated magic plugs...

Random question.... Does anyone know where I can get a Poly trans mount for a V6 f-body? I tried to put one on my gf's firebird and the generic one from Autozone didn't fit...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Launching!

I did plugs and wires today and wen't for a drive. It seems to have a little more power now. I can spin the tires easier now.

I found that cylendar 8 (pass rear) plug had not been changed in a while... 3 of the plugs broke while breaking the threads loose. And some of the wires were just old and came apart while removing the wire.

I'm pretty sure that cylendar 8 plug was left in there because of the difficulty of replacing it.

Here's an average plug I took out beside the pass rear tire...
Attached Thumbnails What's the biggest HP drain in a cam'd car?-img_3999.jpg  
Old 10-16-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

That could very well have been the problem...

What ever ended up between you and the civic...that thread kind of just disappeared
Old 10-16-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont go out and find a race and get drug because then they will just say that its an excuse...that's why I never raced unless my **** was running right...I've ran across those kind of people many of times

Last edited by charlie_gonzales; 10-16-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Every race has an excuse. The bottom line is that the car isn't faster or the driver isn't better.

I never got to race that guy. He wouldn't ever answer me on FB. Then on Thursday, I saw him at the bar and he said he didn't wanna race cause he was trying to sell his car lol. I even tried to get him to do it for ***** and giggles, but he didn't wanna commit to anything.