engine i bought from a member is f&^*Ked

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
If the exhaust manifolds were still intact there should be no rust in the cylinders...

I agree the OP should have contacted the seller 1st...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Banned

Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Heat & humidty will cause moisture to get in via the exhaust manifolds opening, But hell for $550 and everything there seems like a good deal even if u have to hone the cylinders. I'd just take apart anyways and build a bigger and badder motor
Old 10-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Heat & humidty will cause moisture to get in via the exhaust manifolds opening, But hell for $550 and everything there seems like a good deal even if u have to hone the cylinders. I'd just take apart anyways and build a bigger and badder motor
I sold him the engine with water pump, alternator, exhaust manifolds, intake, ported throttle body, ASP pulley, injectors, coils, brackets, flywheel, clutch and part of the body wiring harness for $1200. I came down several hundred dollars because I had no use for the engine at all. I bought it so I could get a good deal on the T56 that was behind it. I'm not a LS1 expert but no rookie either. The engine looked like a 74K engine to me. It turned over smoothly with a torque bar and a socket. When the buyer removed the valve cover, there was no build up of crap and appeared to be clean inside.

It was a used engine. I advertised it as one. The buyer should have taken as much time as needed to inspect it before making the purchase but I am willing to refund the money providing I get exactly what I sold back.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thesource
Wow guy..... you buy an engine from me on the 25th of September and post a thread like this before even speaking with me about it. Thats kind of shitty don't you think????

I am not hiding anything whatsoever. When you showed up to buy the engine, you had every opportunity to inspect it and did so. I let you borrow tools and you chose to remove the passenger side valve cover. You and your friend closely inspected the cylinder head and both said it looked very clean. I would not have objected to pull the oil pan if you would have wanted to. It was never brought up so the pan was never pulled. I even offered a compression gauge if you wanted to use it.

I did offer the engine with a 30 day money back guarantee but you said it would be longer than that before you ran the engine. You said you were willing to take the chance on it and decided to purchase it. You also said you were planning on disassembling it and planning on going through the engine as well.

I will honor the 30 day money back guarantee providing the engine is exactly as it was when it was purchased. I did mark the block and heads along with the water pump and alternator to ensure in case something like this happend that I would get the same parts back. The engine was picked up on the 25th of September. Please have it back to my shop no later than the 25th of October or you will just have to keep the engine. I am sorry about you having to make the trip back up here as I know its a long drive but when buyer a used item, its up to the buyer to make sure to inspect it throughly before buying. I took a chance on buying it as you did.

Next time.......... contact me and wait for my response before pulling a little stunt like this.
Mike
first i want to apologize for posting this and you taking it the wrong way. i was simply posting to ask people what they would do with the engine if it was in their possession ( as far as going ahead and fixing it and what not) i did not intend nor it was posted as a bash to you in no way at all. as you know, you did meet me and we talked about it like you said. i did pull the VC off and that area looked good. the engine still turns smoothly like the day i picked it up so that is why this is very unexpected.
once i took the heads off and the oil pan, the engine seemed like a bad engine, the rust was not a big deal on the heads since i was going to re do them but finding a lot of metal in the pan was a very bad sight. i know you did give me your word and i told you i may not turn it on till december but i did also say i was going to take it apart and inspect it more in detail and change gaskets etc...that is when i found out the bad news.
i am plannig on making it to your shop on saturday this week and hope to talk to you in person.
again please dont take the thread in the wrong way. me and you both assumed the engine was in good condition and found out different otherwise. i am not blaming you on the engine being bad, you did tell me what you knew about it and so we both assumed to be a good engine.

i am a little sad that i have to look for another one for the camaro roller that i also bought from a member here. i was hoping to get it running by december.
talk to you later.
respectfully
David
Old 10-13-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

OP, If Houston is closer for you just bring it to me and I will give you $550.00 for it....
Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also, you will get back all the items that were sold to me. only thing different will be the spark plugs and the head gaskets, the engine will be cleaner as well. except the heads. i did not touch the heads to clean though.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the engine was not 550. as he posted earlier. i paid 1200 for it. contact thesource and arrange something with him, houston is actually a little further away from me.
i will try to deliver it on saturday to his shop.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Saturday will be fine. Please call me a couple of hours before showing up. If there is no answer, leave a message. I have several loads of base blocking the driveway and plan on spreading it out on Saturday.

As for the question about the engine. I will need it in the same shape it was picked up in. IE: completely assemblemed and sealed up. If you have pictures of the damage, please feel free to post them up before sealing the engine back up.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will assemble the engine before taking it there. i will also try to take pictures of the cylinders and pistons from underside and see if it shows and of the oil pan, i cleaned most of it off. the pan still is not cleaned and also the pick up tube has some stuff there. i will do the pictures this afternoon.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Banned

Were you able to get those pictures?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i will post them up in a few minutes
Old 10-14-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i only here are some of the pictures i took. my digital camara may not be the best for close up shots.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is what pictures can tell over the net. i cant get any better shots from the heads bc they are just too blurry.
i am working on assembling the engine right now to seal it up before i deliver it on saturday.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

That motor either has had a head gasket go and sat for awhile, or ingested water somehow and sat for awhile? More like a head gasket being on one side. Those pistons that ate into the wall were likely the issues. Rings gone/shot from spray? Just my .02 not facts at all. Still worth every bit of $550 with all wiring, accessories, and looks to be rebuildable engine
Old 10-14-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was not 550 and Wiring and PCM were not included. I think it's rebuildable but that is not what I expected. I wanted a running motor.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
That motor either has had a head gasket go and sat for awhile, or ingested water somehow and sat for awhile? More like a head gasket being on one side. Those pistons that ate into the wall were likely the issues. Rings gone/shot from spray? Just my .02 not facts at all. Still worth every bit of $550 with all wiring, accessories, and looks to be rebuildable engine
Turned out it was like $1200 from what the seller posted
Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes it was 1200, not to bad if it was in running condition, i bought it with that intention and the seller also thought the engine was in better shape. im not worried about it since he is keeping his word.
im new to this kind of stuff, but that just didnt seem like a good engine to start with.
i cant tell if an engine had nitrous, etc...seemed like a lot of water got to the piston sleeves. i did not take a picture of another little metal piece that looks like it came from a ring....its circular and thin.
anyhow. i am driving to SA this weekend and hope to close this in a good note.
im by any means bitter or anything alike. like i said. im just a little sad bc i looked for a while for an engine.. i kinda wanted to get the project rolling.
right now im working on my Physician assistant degree (masters) and its keeping me both busy and low on funds. im hoping to at least do some of the weight reduction and what not until i find another engine.
David
Old 10-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Banned

It looks like it blew a head gasket between the two middle cylinders on the drivers side. Honestly you could probably run a hone tool down the sleeves and they would be fine. Its hard to tell from the pictures though. As for the heads, I would imagine you were going to have them freshend up while it was a part so a little bit of water should really effect anything. It will need gaskets regardless of whether you were just opening it up or going through it so those are an expense you were going to spend either way.

Have you had anyone with experience rebuilding engines take a good look at it? I don't really think its as bad as you assume it is.

I did offer a 30 day guarantee so if you want to bring it back, bring it back before the 25th.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the rust is not all that worries me. Its the pieces of aluminum that I found in the pan, all the chunks in the pick up tube and all the nicks that were on the cylinder sleeves.
I think that now the engine needs a new oil pump and a complete tear down to redo the bearings and a hone job. basically refreshen the entire bottom end.
yes the heads were going to be freshened up and new springs installed but that is not the case here bc of the other damage found.