Stering Column. Need Some Help. DFW

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stering Column. Need Some Help. DFW

Wassup Guys!
Here we go again. Steering column in my 99 T/A is loose--right where the tilt is. It can be moved downwards whenever I pull on it. So last time I had this issue on my Camaro, I tightened 4 torx bolts and that took care of the problem. The problem is, it was a m*********er w/o any special tools and took forever . Right now I simply don’t have time to mess with it, and don’t really wanna drive it like that.
I wonder if any of you guys had the same problem Or done it enough times and could possibly gimme me a hand? Or know of any shops that could do that for me?
Info is highly appreciated!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I know you are hoping for some easy fix, but deep down inside you really know that you have to take it all back apart, don't you?

I have to do it too, don't feel bad... The good news is that the more times you take it apart the easier it becomes, just make sure you have the right tools and this time put some loc-tite on the screws!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Launching!

you need a new column

come see me at
GERENERATIONS AUTOMOTIVE
grand prairie.
3950 e jefferson

i can locate it (on the street my shop is-junkyard street) nd put itin in a day
Old 12-09-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luckymex_dallas
you need a new column

come see me at
GERENERATIONS AUTOMOTIVE
grand prairie.
3950 e jefferson

dropped by today and gave your cousin my bumper. seemed like a cool guy.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Teching In

LOl, Slow96z, im not really hoping for an easy fix. Ive done it before and it just sucked! I talked to Jason from TDP and he said that he knew the old guy who worked for Pontiac and could do those torx in "couple min for a 12 pack!!! hahaha. i was hoping for a guy like that to appear on this forum!!!
Hey, i dont feel that bad anymore. how r u gonna fix urs?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Luckymex_dallas
you need a new column

come see me at
GERENERATIONS AUTOMOTIVE
grand prairie.
3950 e jefferson

I will deff. stop by there! Im off on Mondays. I work for a dealership and can put it on myself, but im just timeless! Tons of work and finals in college((( So, i guess i wouldnt mind if someone else throws it in there!

Thank You!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alexmeg90
LOl, Slow96z, im not really hoping for an easy fix. Ive done it before and it just sucked! I talked to Jason from TDP and he said that he knew the old guy who worked for Pontiac and could do those torx in "couple min for a 12 pack!!! hahaha. i was hoping for a guy like that to appear on this forum!!!
Hey, i dont feel that bad anymore. how r u gonna fix urs?
This will be the 3rd one I've done and I usually just make sure I have a couple of hours free and undisturbed and have the right tools in my hands for steering wheel and spring removal, then I just go at it. The main thing I do is make sure I keep the parts in a row based on the order of removal (they all fit on the dash, take notes too if you're unsure), that way I don't miss something and have to pull it all back apart again. It's not too bad, just a lot of parts and it's pretty frustrating when you get to the bolts and realize that if somebody had used loc-tite to begin with you wouldn't have to do all of this!