Interesting smoke coming from dipstick tube and tailpipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting smoke coming from dipstick tube and tailpipes

Well, I've been having some interesting issues with the WS6 (namely a squeal coming from behind the timing chain cover and sometimes erratic oil pressure gauge readings) and as best I can tell it's about time to replace the oil pump. Because of that, it's been sitting in the driveway for the past few days and I went out today and started it to let it run for a few minutes. I went ahead and checked the dipstick for oil levels and noticed a faint amount of smoke (or possibly vapor) coming from the dipstick tube. I continued to let it run for a few minutes and when I shut it off and walked behind the car, I noticed the same faint smoke coming from the tailpipes (after the car was shut off). I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this before and know what it is and if I should be concerned by this (like a head gasket) or if it's just condensation burning off after sitting for a few days?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

If you suspect condensation, then just start it up everyday a few times a day.
Monitor the oil pressure. Bring it up to normal temp and check for the "vapor".
Remove the oil fill cap when the car gets to normal operating temp and check to see if there is any smoke or excess pressure coming from the oil fill neck.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

You are seeing condensation. This time of the year a lot of cars are going it.