LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Texas Members (https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members-54/)
-   -   What are the benefits of working a salaried position? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/1422303-what-benefits-working-salaried-position.html)

Slash8915 05-12-2011 02:05 PM

What are the benefits of working a salaried position?

I'm about to go to the last interview for a company that is offering me a salaried position. I've never worked a salaried position, only hourly. I know for a fact I'll be working 50 or so hours a week, so that's a bit of a bummer. But I was wondering if there were any actual pluses to working salary over hourly?

I posted this in the Texas section because i figured MAYBE it was a bit different in Texas than other states.

xX-Z28-Xx 05-12-2011 02:14 PM

Most, you get paid leave/vacation days.

BizZzatch350 05-12-2011 02:19 PM

Consistent. If you have a family it's nice because you know whats going to be there every pay day. It sucks if your employer is a dick and expects 50-60 hour work weeks every single week at zero over time. I worked a job like that but it was 70+ hours a week, was a nite mare. I like the current system I am on, base + day rate, always get some thing but the more you work the more you make.

Greed4Speed 05-12-2011 02:59 PM

Any benefits depends on the company.

Some give salaried employees more vacation, bigger bonuses, or pay at a higher rate to make up for any OT. Some are also flexible with the schedule (work 60 hr 1 week then you work under 40 to make up for it.)

Then you have other companies that will work your butt off because you are salary.

VinR1 05-12-2011 03:18 PM

I'm salary plus a % of revenue

suckage - 50+hrs/week

cons - I can come and go for little errands, dr appt, kids stuff, and not have to worry about clocking out or losing a half-day's pay

-Ross- 05-12-2011 03:24 PM

I'm salary + bonus (profit sharing).
I also negotiated a "time for time" clause in my contract since they didn't want to pay overtime. If I work 10 hours over one week, I take 10 hours off when I want later.
I also get your typical 2 weeks of paid time off (should have pressed for 3).

v8sten 05-12-2011 03:25 PM

makes bills easier to pay

FloydSummerOf68 05-12-2011 03:54 PM

Generally speaking there are no benefits. SPECIFICALLY speaking it may vary between companies.

You can still get vacation, bonuses, profit sharing, stock options, 401k, benefits, etc... as an hourly employee at a good company.

The only benefit would be within the company structure if they hire on hourly employees on a temp basis versus salaried employees.

I work at a Fortune 500 company that starts you off at hourly and generally bumps you up to salaried at a certain point so you're limited to straight time overtime instead of 1.5x overtime. Absolutely no difference other than that. Hourly get all of the same benefits and aren't viewed as temporary help.

Domsz06 05-15-2011 09:54 PM

I enjoy my salary. Always know what's coming in. Also I can jet away and pick up my car from g-force for a few hours and I'm still getting paid :D he he he

chupr0kabra 05-16-2011 07:02 AM

It really depends on what sort of work you do. In IT, most hourly employees are contractors or consultants. So, when things get rough economically, those are the first ones laid off. The FTEs generally get the benefit of the doubt.

-Mike

DarknessHunter 05-16-2011 08:11 AM

my dads salary but if he works over 40 they comp him with over time im salary military i work an ass load of hrs but i get good benefits

AnnivSS 05-16-2011 08:16 AM

Specifically in my line of work, there is one huge benefit. Last month we sold $7300 over our goal for the month, we got a bonus which was that $7300 split between the 9 of us that are in parts. This month we are tracking to end up $10000 under goal. Even though we arent hitting goal this month I get payed the same, I just dont get the bonus.

Head Hunter 05-16-2011 09:31 AM

If you are salaried, you are usually paid salary because it's cheaper due to the hours that would be involved plus the overtime increases. In the fields that I cover, I see professionals doing the same job and have the same benefits, same PTO, etc but one gets paid salary and the other gets paid hourly and the one being paid hourly is grossing quite a bit more. The only time it benefits to get paid salary is if it's questionable as to whether you will actually hit 40hrs a week. There is a reason employers will make it a salaried position... it benefits them.

Now some companies pay overtime on top of salary - I haven't found one in the fields I cover, but I know a few in the corporate realm do. That would obviously change things a bit because you now have a guaranteed income no matter what, and you also get the benefit if you work more than normal throughout the year.

The other benefit to salary is if the company offers a bonus program, it's typically reserved only for salaried employees. Again - annual bonuses are rare in the fields I cover, so it rarely comes up, but they obviously are out there in more corporate settings.

irbs 05-16-2011 12:33 PM

I'm hourly plus I am guaranteed 15 hours over time every week. I also get commission and a monthly bonus. My manager is salary and we make about the same and he works about 10 more hours per week than I do.