who runs e-85 in houston

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I have the Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump, and 42# injectors, can I run E85?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Slash8915
So if I have the Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump, and 42# injectors, can I run E85?
that would depend on the duty cycle your injectors are at right now....and walbro has a hp limit....so if your at 85% duty cycle on the injectors and have 500 to the wheels with a wallbro(dont know the max so using an example) with 600 hp max...then yeah you will be in need of bigger injectors or do what you have to do to lower your duty cycle plus getting real close to maxing out your pump since it will be working very hard...again i dont know the actualy max of the walbro single pump i just said 600 an example....everyone is pretty much agreeing you will need 30% more fuel.

and i see alot of guys telling me where to find "how tos" and "tunning" thats great thanks guys very much but i really wanted just the driving expierence from people who actually run e85...opinions for example is it easy or convient for you to find e85 fuel....gas mileage?....have you run out of gas before?....and it seems everyone is saying great results but gas is still a lil tricky to find....but for a non so daily driver its great....but for a everday daily driver there is always the worry of running out of gas...i did do some research on gas station and keep a look out when i drive...but wanted to here you guys opinions first hand....thanks again.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TSAEB
that would depend on the duty cycle your injectors are at right now....and walbro has a hp limit....so if your at 85% duty cycle on the injectors and have 500 to the wheels with a wallbro(dont know the max so using an example) with 600 hp max...then yeah you will be in need of bigger injectors or do what you have to do to lower your duty cycle plus getting real close to maxing out your pump since it will be working very hard...again i dont know the actualy max of the walbro single pump i just said 600 an example....everyone is pretty much agreeing you will need 30% more fuel.

and i see alot of guys telling me where to find "how tos" and "tunning" thats great thanks guys very much but i really wanted just the driving expierence from people who actually run e85...opinions for example is it easy or convient for you to find e85 fuel....gas mileage?....have you run out of gas before?....and it seems everyone is saying great results but gas is still a lil tricky to find....but for a non so daily driver its great....but for a everday daily driver there is always the worry of running out of gas...i did do some research on gas station and keep a look out when i drive...but wanted to here you guys opinions first hand....thanks again.
I would say it requires about 40% more fuel and your mpg's will tank. Expect about that 40% drop in mpg's. There shouldn't be any drivability issues. There aren't many stations around the SE part of houston or really the east part of houston. They are more concentrated on the west side of town. You didn't list a location so I don't know where you are from.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I try to plan setups at needing twice the fuel for e85 to be safe. I never tried walbro 255 because it just didnt make since when switching to a better fuel than 93. I have a 1200hp pump and 1250cc injectors in my 6cyl making 600whp and didnt have to worry about running out. Dont rememeber duty cycle but doesn't hurt to overkill is my point

I was living on westheimer at the time so there were a couple pumps really close but they still close at night even if using a card. I got close but never ran out. Definitely have to be conscious about it based on how far you plan on driving. Closest and pretty much only one near where I live now is 2920 and Kuykendahl. Gas mileage, lol, depends on a few things but generally worse of coarse. I think E85 is mid $3 at the moment
Old 05-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Launching!

This thread just made me go fill up with e85 paid 3.12 a gallon. Since its getting hot out I figured it would help cool things down a lil bit plus I was tired of smelling the stench of gas all day.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:49 PM
9 Second Club

There's a Kroger with E85 about 12 minutes from me. I would want a tune if I were to switch, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I know FI guys GREATLY benefit from it, but what about a heads/cam LS1? If I could gain 10+ to the wheels with it, I don't see why I shouldn't switch. I mean, it would essentially be a "free mod" for me not considering the tune, which I planned on getting anyways.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Talk to your tuner. Typically you can run e85 leaner and put more timing but some tuners don't like to push it.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Slash8915
There's a Kroger with E85 about 12 minutes from me. I would want a tune if I were to switch, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I know FI guys GREATLY benefit from it, but what about a heads/cam LS1? If I could gain 10+ to the wheels with it, I don't see why I shouldn't switch. I mean, it would essentially be a "free mod" for me not considering the tune, which I planned on getting anyways.
h/c don't expect more than 10-15rwhp, imo it isn't worth it for you because you will burn through the fuel so quick without much of a positive gain. If you had nitrous, blower, or turbo then yes it would be beneficial.

lets say you get 10mpg, its going to drop to like 6-7...