New tires for car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 400 hp t/a and I have the nitto radials and they suck compared to the Mickey thompsons! I don't drive in the rain and it's a nice weather car but I will never go anything again unless it's a mt!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
The NT05R is a direct competitor for the Mickey DR. Neither of them will last more than 10K miles, they are very soft. They also will have you spinning out on wet pavement, so don't ever plan on anything other than sunny day cruises.

If you want something that lasts a little longer, the NT555-R is a better choice, and those can be driven in rain.
I have done this and yes it can BUT DON'T!! I had these put on in Houston and drove back to El Paso with them on. It rained from Houston past San Antonio. It took me 12hrs to drive that and I had to pull over and spend the night in the car. I couldn't go past 45mph without the *** end floating on me.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
I have done this and yes it can BUT DON'T!! I had these put on in Houston and drove back to El Paso with them on. It rained from Houston past San Antonio. It took me 12hrs to drive that and I had to pull over and spend the night in the car. I couldn't go past 45mph without the *** end floating on me.
ehhh, I daily drove mine with the 555r's through any kind of weather we had, you just have to have some situational awareness and not drive like a jackass in the rain and they work fine.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my cobra and ss in many different weather conditions with 555r and never really had a problem wet or dry
Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Im up in NJ and when my car was a DD year round (we get a decent amount of snow) I had the 555r's on the back and they handled fairly well considering what they are.

You didn't say, but I would guess your issue in the rain was because they were brand new. Not sure if it still applies but back when I bought my last pair, they are EXTREMELY slick from the factory. I had to do a nice burnout on every set i had to get this slick "coating" off the tires, or it was like driving on ice.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 78novacaine
ehhh, I daily drove mine with the 555r's through any kind of weather we had, you just have to have some situational awareness and not drive like a jackass in the rain and they work fine.
Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
I drove my cobra and ss in many different weather conditions with 555r and never really had a problem wet or dry
Originally Posted by 98F-1camaro
Im up in NJ and when my car was a DD year round (we get a decent amount of snow) I had the 555r's on the back and they handled fairly well considering what they are.

You didn't say, but I would guess your issue in the rain was because they were brand new. Not sure if it still applies but back when I bought my last pair, they are EXTREMELY slick from the factory. I had to do a nice burnout on every set i had to get this slick "coating" off the tires, or it was like driving on ice.
Yea, the 555R's aren't that bad in the rain. Only time I had issues was when they were on their last 2-3K miles and only then I couldn't drive above 45 in the rain. All other times just required more concentration which should be a given in the rain anyways.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98F-1camaro

They were mounted 5 hours before the drive. I went to the track to race my brother. Got to the line and they called it off for the night (bad storm coming). Never got to heat them up before making the long *** drive home. Maybe that was the problem.

Quick Reply: New tires for car