Chemical Plant Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had experience in plant work then you must've been hurtin for work. As those are places to get experience and then move on.

Another place to get experience

Oil Tanking
Stolthaven (both are next to Beltway 8 bridge on northern side)
Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

We (S&B Construction) are hiring for Projects in Port Arthor and Saint Charles Louisiana if your interested?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Dude ur giving the acctual plants where most of the guys applying have degrees. Ive worked at oil tanking but as a contractor. Pretty chill place..
Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

The absolute best thing a lot of people here can do is go to school in one of the process tech programs and try to get on at one of the plants, as an employee, not a contractor. You'll thank yourself in 20 years.

I know this doesn't really help anyone immediately, however, it's good advice. I realize though that some of you guys are looking for money right now. Not in a year or two.

Out here where I work we use
Jacobs
Brock
Brand
Mundy
Xcel
Acuren
CAN
Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Finished my first semester in December. Two more to go. I tried applying and passed several tests but unless you are lucky I think you will just be wasting time waiting on someone to call you when you don't have any experience. I also agree with go to school and get it out the way.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Im a welder work for a cintracting company and im using this to fund my cars and pay for school for my ptec degree. My bro inlaw is a operator so he can get me in at his plant
Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 20lbbooster
The absolute best thing a lot of people here can do is go to school in one of the process tech programs and try to get on at one of the plants, as an employee, not a contractor. You'll thank yourself in 20 years.

I know this doesn't really help anyone immediately, however, it's good advice. I realize though that some of you guys are looking for money right now. Not in a year or two.

Jacobs
Brock
Brand
Mundy
Xcel
Acuren
CAN
What plant do you work at? I used to work for Jacobs and they are a good company. They def got me to where I am today.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Finished my first semester in December. Two more to go. I tried applying and passed several tests but unless you are lucky I think you will just be wasting time waiting on someone to call you when you don't have any experience. I also agree with go to school and get it out the way.
What you're saying about having experience isn't necessarily true. Apply all you can, test and interview all you can. If you tell yourself you need to have experience, you're just psyching yourself out. You'll get shot down more often than not, however, it only takes one and things are good.

When I was going to San jac i started lookin from day one. I got a job about a year later. I wasnt finished with school and I had no experience. I quit school and started working at Exxonmobil.

I tested all over the place and interviewed all over...got shot down over and over until FINALLY I scored...been here ever since!

Don't give up...it'll happen.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

You have to apply at one of those plants that would rather train you how they want rather than you have a degree. Such as exxon mobil, BP if i remember, ineos chocolate bayou. As far as that i cant remember any other plants who dont require 5yrs plant exp. Or 2yr degree
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

What you're saying about having experience isn't necessarily true. Apply all you can, test and interview all you can. If you tell yourself you need to have experience, you're just psyching yourself out. You'll get shot down more often than not, however, it only takes one and things are good.

When I was going to San jac i started lookin from day one. I got a job about a year later. I wasnt finished with school and I had no experience. I quit school and started working at Exxonmobil.

I tested all over the place and interviewed all over...got shot down over and over until FINALLY I scored...been here ever since!

Don't give up...it'll happen.
Yeah I worded that wrong looking back at my post now. I'm going to continue to apply and test while I'm in school but I didn't want to just sit around and wait on a chance call when I could at least start the program and maybe improve my odds and at least try and get a crash course on what goes on in a plant and the different machines, systems and processes I might encounter.

Starting this school stuff pretty late I've been at my current employer for 9 years but I want a change and more $$$ lol.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Alot of these places say that you have to have the two year degree or 5 yrs experience but that's bs a lot of the time. I know a **** load of guys who have gotten in plants with no, or very little, experience. Including myself. They say that stuff so they can weed people out. If applicants read that and say "I don't have the degree or experience, I'm not gonna apply" basically you're doing their job for them. Make them weed you out, don't do it for them!

Like I said, apply apply apply...test test test...interview interview interview. It's like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

I got on with lyondellbasell a month or so ago as an operator without any prior experience or education. All of my education and experience is in criminal justice or as a mechanic. They do train you for the job though. Its really a great training program to help get your feet wet. It will be the summer before I will be able to work overtime but I feel I am very fortunate to have this job so no complaints there. Just keep at it and apply and try and get your foot in the door. Its definitely worth it in the end.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Ive been working for a while in the plants. And i have never been hired by applying. Every were you go or call to apply they have the same answers call back tomorrow or do an application will give you a call once something comes up. Its only matter of luck or daniel004 to get you in because even if he says s&b is hiring you can call or apply and they will tell you they are not.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

75% of the time contractors will just throw away ur application. Foremans usualy call in their own ppl for jobs
Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing wrong with being a contractor. Especially if your starting out. Making 50k or 60k a year and having a nice solid 2day or 3 day weekend. Getting off at 430 almost everyday.. You don't always have to just chase turn arounds and work projects. There are plenty of options and mundane day to day type stuff that gets done..
Old 01-04-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But yeah do a lot of asking and talking to people who work in plants is the best way to get in I think. Im working with guys in Victoria that got in because they used to serve the guys at outback steakhouse. And one day asked if they were hiring.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Just got my twic card today lets bump this is up im ready to work!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Jacobs
Brock
Brand
Mundy
Xcel
Acuren
CAN

Completely correct.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Teching In

If you don't mind traveling check out this place called Testex its around magnum and 290
Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost made it as an operator for lyondell when I was 18. I just froze up on one of the questions. No experience or anything, just have to be a smart person and also throw the word safety around a lot, since it's safety over everything.

Good luck dude. Stand tall and be confident, that's what they liked about me.

Quick Reply: Chemical Plant Work