Cafe Racer: Is this a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cafe Racer: Is this a good price?

I've wanted a bike pretty well as long as I can remember. I grew up riding dirt bikes and have always loved it. Deep down I am a sport bike man I know. I also know that I would probably get addicted to that kind of bike and I'm afraid I would be the guy doing 120 on the back tire everywhere I went, which hey good for that guy, but I'm about to graduate college and would like to see the fruits of my investment lol.

So I've recently been looking at cafes. I think they are pretty cool and classy, and I can definitely see myself cruising one. I know I probably won't end up getting one of these either, but just in case (and for fun) I've been doing my research. What do you guys think about this one? Price seems maybe a little high, but it seems like a really nice bike compared to a lot of the ones I've seen.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3078420526.html
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Used to ride one of those. Really cool -you don't have to watch the tach, just rev 'till the valved float! Beat it like a rented mule and comes back for more. IMO the guy is nuts for that price though. And I wouldn't buy it without riding it [no throttle cable?].
* Might handle dangerous with the 'Buse steering damper [#600 bike vs #300 bike].
* No electric start vs easy to kick.
* battery eliminated vs weak headlight that varies with RPM.
* Rear sets are cool but forget profilin' around town,
* bike can't go fast enough to lighten your body weight off your wrists.
* Yeah -you COULD ride it on the highway around town, but you'll end up a bug on someone's windsheild.
* very cool parking lot & in-town bike [except for the rear-sets].
* great learner bike [except for the rear-sets].
* definitely a tinker'er bike,
Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

I'd pass.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Yea I'm not so interested in that one. More the idea of the cafe style. Any of you guys ever seen a JC Penney pinto 2? Never been a moped guy. Ever. But there's one on Craigslist and it's pretty cool. Looks like a box bike with a motor. And supposedly you don't have to tag, inspect, or insure it. Guy wants $2200 for it tho. Which I think is too high, but it's hard to tell how high because there aren't any to be found! They were imported from Austria in the late 70s.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo rides a CB350.

******* (in a high pitched voice) AWESOME!

Last edited by -Ross-; 06-28-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love Cafe Racer bikes.

Thats a good looking bike, but I'd never settle for a 350.
For that price and condition, you hold out long enough you could get a CB750...the real deal.

You're right, he's high on the price.
To the right person, I could see $2000-2500.
350 would be something cool to just have to look at and make a bit of racket.
I would never consider actually riding it in anything other than a tiny *** town on the backroads.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

^ Thanks for the input. I do live in a pretty small town at the moment. Lol, but like I said I am going to pass on that bike.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Best thing to do is find an old carb bike and convert it. TRUE cafe racers don't have much on a converted import bike. Cafe racer setup is just little stuff like removing fairings, changing bars, mirrors, single headlight setup, etc.

You can get a Kawasaki 500 cheap and convert it for next to nothing. Bike hasn't changed since the 80s so parts are dirt cheap. BUT the motor is close to maxed out from the factory so you won't get more than 60hp. Mine was gear limited to 110mph and that was plenty considering I got something like 50mpg on 87oct. Just be aware that Kawi didn't make any real changes for a few decades so paying more for a younger 500 is pointless.

Quick Reply: Cafe Racer: Is this a good price?