Recommended A/C shops in DFW or HELP me fix my system!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Recommended A/C shops in DFW or HELP me fix my system!!!!

Looking for good air conditioning shop on dfw. My system was opened up and went dry. I tried to rent the vacuum from autozone w the hoses. Pulled a vac and put Freon in but I am pretty sure I needs to be flushed.and cleaned out and then refilled. I was thinking of taking it too Christian brothers in roanoke tx or classic chevy and having then fix it. i am no ax expert but this **** just isn't cold enough. anyone give me some good shops that will be reasonable price in dfw preferable the Roanoke grapevine area.

Last edited by FasTimeSS; 06-24-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to pull a vacuum for about an hour to properly boil off all the accumulated water in the system.
Also you will need a new receiver/drier and likely an orifice tube if the system was open long enough to leak it all out.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK I will rent the vacuum pump and line again. How much vacuum should I pull? I pulled the vacuum for about an hour yesterday and the vacuum only got to about 12 or 13. I will replace the orfice tube and install a new drier. How do I go about removing all the freon that I installed yesterday? Do I need to clean the system out? I put in some more of the medium veloscity Pag oil 100 just because some leaked out when the system was open. Can you have to much pag oil in there. Right know I think I might have to much freon in it. I will go about rerenting all this tomorrow and workin on it then.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the drier unit I plan to purchase.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2620&ppt=C1951

Orfice tube
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2728&ppt=C0328

and the Gasket and O-Ring kit
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...6500&ppt=C0320

Is this all that I am going to need? I plan to pick these parts up and re rent the vacuum pump and guages from autozone.

Is there any way to clean the system out so that it is %100 clean in there. This A/C system is only blowing about 35-40 percent right know. 2 years ago this thing blew percent and ice cold. I am looking to get that back so I can stand driving the ar this summer. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pull as high of a vacuum as is possible, water doesn't boil until I think -23 to -24 lbs. So put it on the highest setting and let it run.
In reality this is the method of cleaning the system that I know of, any other method would involve some type of approved solvent and a pump.
Those parts should do the trick, also give your condensor a good wash with a pressure sprayer to clear out any dirt that could clog it
Old 06-24-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it is only blowing so-so you may have a clutch coil going out, so go get it tested
Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will order these parts from rock auto instead they are alot cheaper and I am in no hurry since I will be working overnight the next 3 weeks. When cleaning the condensor do I need to take it out of the car to clean it good? if I unhook the lines from the condensor and power wash it will I need to tape off the holes where the lines hook up or clog them with something? Thanks for all your help, this is the one area on the car that I have never worked on before and this is all a learning experience for me. Also before I removed the line to and let all the r-134a out everything worked fantastic. So I don't think that the compressor has gone bad just yet. I will replace if I have to but what brand compressor would you go with a/c delco or delphi. I think delphi came from the factory correct?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
OK I will rent the vacuum pump and line again. How much vacuum should I pull? I pulled the vacuum for about an hour yesterday and the vacuum only got to about 12 or 13. I will replace the orfice tube and install a new drier. How do I go about removing all the freon that I installed yesterday? Do I need to clean the system out? I put in some more of the medium veloscity Pag oil 100 just because some leaked out when the system was open. Can you have to much pag oil in there. Right know I think I might have to much freon in it. I will go about rerenting all this tomorrow and workin on it then.
mistake.

it is best if you can get it as close to 30 in. Hg.

If the system worked fine before, and all you did was remove a line/hose, you don't need any parts. Get a good vacuum on and I would preferably charge it with a machine over the DIY cans.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5w20
mistake.

it is best if you can get it as close to 30 in. Hg
OK I will try and do that I might have to pull that vacuum for a couple of hours or so to acheive that setting. it seemed like it didn't want to pull much more then 12-13 hg. I am not sure the pump from autozone was working well enough to acheive 30 hg. Is there one from harbor freight that I can buy to hook to my compressor that I can use? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5w20
mistake.

it is best if you can get it as close to 30 in. Hg.

If the system worked fine before, and all you did was remove a line/hose, you don't need any parts. Get a good vacuum on and I would preferably charge it with a machine over the DIY cans.
Even if It was left open for a week or 2 at max. It has been humid lately?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

About the 1 hour only reaching 12-13 in Hg, either their pump was worn out or you had a vacuum leak. Check out their hoses and seals really well. If you can pull a vacuum and then shut a valve to seal the system and see if it bleeds down. The leak could be anywhere you took a hose loose also. You can mix up a spray bottle of soapy water and check your system when it's got high pressure gas in it. If it sat open for more than an hour I would at least replace the accumulator/drier. Once it's desiccant has saturated it can't absorb any more moisture. Any moisture left in the system will reduce efficiency and cause corrosion damage.

Vernon
Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
About the 1 hour only reaching 12-13 in Hg, either their pump was worn out or you had a vacuum leak. Check out their hoses and seals really well. If you can pull a vacuum and then shut a valve to seal the system and see if it bleeds down. The leak could be anywhere you took a hose loose also. You can mix up a spray bottle of soapy water and check your system when it's got high pressure gas in it. If it sat open for more than an hour I would at least replace the accumulator/drier. Once it's desiccant has saturated it can't absorb any more moisture. Any moisture left in the system will reduce efficiency and cause corrosion damage.

Vernon
good advice
Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vernon, sounds good. I am pretty sure that vacuum pump was worn out and couldn't pull any more because once I closed the high side line and the low side. It stayed at 13 for about another 2 hours before I put the freon in it. I will rent out another pump this time and try it again. I am pretty positive that there is no vacuum leak because it held the vacuum for awhile. I am still going to replace all seals in the system just for preventative maintence.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

These guys are correct, either a leak or a faulty pump. If everything was working fine the compressor clutch isn't the issue, I just thought it hadn't worked well for awhile.

Quick Reply: Recommended A/C shops in DFW or HELP me fix my system!!!!