98 Trans Am Steering very heavy and repulsive??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Trans Am Steering very heavy and repulsive??

Ok guys I know dat f bodies have stiff steering but my 98 Trans Am surely has a problem. When I bought the car the steering was very heavy, and the thing is sometimes the steering was heavier and sometimes lighter. So I decided to replace the PS pump and since then it does the same thing. Also after replacing the pump when I turn my steering wheel it makes a whining noise, I thought that it would go away after a week but it still has been doing it for like 3 months now. And sometimes when I am turning esp when I turn all the way it is so hard to turn. The steering feels as if its repulsing against me,no joke!!!! Suppose if I am in a tight space and I have put the car on reverse and turn then turn all the way, the steering feels very repulsive !!!!!

My friend told me that I need a new rack and pinion as its probably making the PS pump work too hard. But I am not aware of any leaks from the rack and pinion so I am confused here. BTW I got the replacement pump from O Reillys and its remanufactured.
So does anyone know what's going on with my power steering???!! Do I need to replace the rack even thought its not leaking? What else can make my steering wheel behave like this???

Last edited by Sheikh Waqil; 08-08-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure what the deal is here but my car did the same thing after i replaced my pump. I replaced it again and that went away. It still whines every now and then but it doesn't try to fight me. I would say try another pump but i am no expert.

Edit: also make sure it properly bled

Last edited by ageorge7; 08-12-2012 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lukeypooky (11-08-2020)
Old 08-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try jacking the front end up while bleeding, it helped me
The following users liked this post:
Lukeypooky (11-08-2020)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately gm skimped on the rack and pinion in these cars. Try bleedIng the system your new pump should not be whining, but to get a good feel in the wheel you will need a new rack and pinion

Quick Reply: 98 Trans Am Steering very heavy and repulsive??