The decline of car culture in America and America's youth

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
I beieve theres kids my age that like/love cars but just dont know where to get information/learn. Information is getting harder to find. And sorry to say but these forums are getting consumed by trolls and real valid information is getting harder to find.
Spoken like a true product of the information age.
"The info isn't dropped in my lap so its hard to get." How do you think we learned anything before the innernetz? Books, magazines, and heaven forbid...talking to people in person and yes, even trial and error.
All the info anyone needs is out there readily available at their fingertips if they care to look. I've met many newbs over the years. If they start asking questions, I'll answer as do many other older guys. I've even helped them work on their cars, but I'm not going to work on it for them. There are more information resources now than ever if someone want to take advantage of them.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Teching In

I'm 20 also and I love American muscle, modern or classic. I have a 2000 z28 and a 69 Chevelle. My son who is 18 months also loves cars. So I think I'm starting him off right!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, before the proliferation of Internet Chat Rooms, Forums, IM's, etc. we actually had to socialize with people face to face!!!

Car club meetings, track outings, weekly BS sessions out in the garage with buddies, etc. Often my clubs held "install parties" where a few knowledgeable members would do the wrenching while the rest turned it into a good social event in the driveway or backyard with lawn chairs and coolers of beer. Usually the guy or guys who were mechanics for a living would kinda direct or lead the action. If they weren't available, we had plenty of weekend warriors like myself and we would pick the guy who had done the exact same install (successfully lol) most recently.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Im 19 years old and have loved cars my whole entire life. I had always played with hot wheels as a child with my older brother and we have both grown to love cars.

When I was 15 I was trying everything in my power to get my license and i finally did get it at 16, I was working and going to school playing football as well. I finally got enough money and bought a 85' BMW 325e that was a 5 speed. I have had 5 other cars since then from hard work and trading on craigslist. So the technology helped me build up my cars too lol

Im currently going to school at Sam Houston playing football and still working on cars. I have a 87 Supra 1jz that I did the single turbo build and a whole bunch of other things to it myself. I really miss my trans am and am currently looking into selling my supra to get a LS1 f-body. So i wouldn't blame it on the generation entirely because there are still alot of gear heads that are young. Its more of an issue of affording these cars than not having an interest in them.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
Yep, before the proliferation of Internet Chat Rooms, Forums, IM's, etc. we actually had to socialize with people face to face!!!

Car club meetings, track outings, weekly BS sessions out in the garage with buddies, etc. Often my clubs held "install parties" where a few knowledgeable members would do the wrenching while the rest turned it into a good social event in the driveway or backyard with lawn chairs and coolers of beer. Usually the guy or guys who were mechanics for a living would kinda direct or lead the action. If they weren't available, we had plenty of weekend warriors like myself and we would pick the guy who had done the exact same install (successfully lol) most recently.
i grew up around my uncle and his car buddies and bizness. He was/is a hardcore bbc guy. He thinks every bbc car is gotta be at least a 9sec n/a car,nothing else is acceptable. I watched/helped him put together a low 11sec lt1 car, and this was around 98. Mostly thru common knowledge,trial and error and networking eith other car guys. He sent pcm to ed wright for a tune. resourced from ad in a chevy mag. He would have install gtg at the shop after hours on the weekend. We would wrench one someones car,sometimes till early in the.morning. Ususlly had the grill going also. I dont know anyone nowadays thats still into that. Back in early 00s before tech, would meet other car guys out on the streets. Met bunch of guys usually on westheimer or sat nite races in sw. Hung out and worked on cars and then hit the streets. Lost touch, but it was cool when it wad going on. everyone moved on i guess. I still do it on my own pretty much on a daily basis. After work i get home and work on the current project for a few hourd
Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

I agree that the car culture has gone away, but i can't really blame them. Cost is a an issue for sure, but cruise nights around here have more police than anything else.

With the increased fines and jail time for racing on the street it's a lot less hassle to be playing games online instead.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by old93ta
I agree that the car culture has gone away, but i can't really blame them. Cost is a an issue for sure, but cruise nights around here have more police than anything else.

With the increased fines and jail time for racing on the street it's a lot less hassle to be playing games online instead.
Thats not the reason its been on the decline, probably doesn't even contribute anything. Drug/alcohol laws have gotten steadily worse since the 70's yet drugs and alcohol are more popular than ever among kids.

My 17 year old brother likes going to the meets and to the drag strip with us but for some reason would rather buy the new World of War Craft than save for a car. I really don't get it. I'm 24 and when I was his age video games were only for rainy days or a quick break from the heat. Could never play that crap for longer than an hour.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...oms/57414464/1

interesting read. I grew up working on cars. I've been turning wrenches for 25 years now. None of my friends have the experience or knowledge I have at my age. Sadly it's just a hobby for me. At least I know I'll never hurt for work lol.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Computer and car brah checking in. You mad?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Computer and car brah checking in. You mad?
Using the interwebs to complain about the interwebs

The decline of car culture in America and America's youth-opztl.png
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 PM
LS7 Member

In 10 years we will be driven to work by our cars? this reminds me of the back to the future movies. We should all have flying cars by now.

(I know they are working on and already have some of this technology. That doesn't mean joe blow will have it in a decade..)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

A lot of the problem with today's younger people is that they grew up as the "disposable generation". They have grown used to just throwing products away once they have expired or aren't the newest thing. Think about how many younger people stand in those stupid lines for the latest telephone or video game, even though they have fully functioning phones in their pocket that do 99.9% of what the new phone does.

These kids don't appreciate taking a worn out vehicle that they can afford, putting the blood and sweat effort into restoring it to something to be proud of. They'd rather just buy a newer cheap vehicle, like a Honda Civic. Because it has less miles on it. Because they are deemed more reliable. Usually misinformation that gets handed down to them by their non-auto enthusiast boring set of parents.

I was in high school in '88-91. I couldn't afford the new 5.0 Mustangs or IROC Camaros. I could afford a $1400 1969 Camaro though. I took pride in the fact that I restored that car with my Dad, and I didn't abuse the car like most kids in their new cars did. If these kids had stood outside in 90F+ temps after football practice, sanding on the body of their car to make it smooth again, and tightened every bolt in that car themselves, I guarantee they would have more respect and pride of the vehicle.

Some things never change. I still have more pride in cars that I build, not buy.

Tony
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I would disagree with that statement. Yes, there are plenty of trolls, but there are also lots of contributors with a wealth of info. I've learned just about everything automotive on forums.
I agree with you. The internet is a HUGE source of information.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The internet has made hot rodding easier than ever. It's easy to find ideas, results, events, etc. But the internet hasn't changed one thing at all, you still can't be afraid to get in the shop and get dirty.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by texas94z
When the Mustang was introduced in 1964, it was targeted to the young and wild American men that wanted a exciting car that reflected their personality.
i thought the mustang was designed for women...
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jiveass
That's what I thought, too. It was certainly marketed as "the secretary's car."

Old 09-26-2012, 04:17 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

My buddy's mom told me she remembered this ad campaign:

Old 09-26-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jiveass
I didn't want to bash on the Mustang crowd to hard. Their feelings get hurt very easily.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was in High School (81-83) my parents bought me a 1970 Chevy Impala for $500. I pulled everything off of the motor I could to lighten it up. I sprayed (or soaked) the engine bay with Purple Power, bought a Weiand Air Breather, mowed enough lawns and worked at Kroger to buy a set of Rally wheels and used Kelly tires and an Alpine cassette player with Jensen speakers and a Rockford Fosgate amp.

This car was as ugly as a mud fence but it was mine and I worked on it myself. This is when I found out about 'Torgue' and how it applies to bolts on the motor! I thought a properly torqued bolt was a cheater bar and everythinmg you could put behind it. Nay, I was wrong and it cost me dearly, but I learned something.

I hope I can pass the last 30+ years experience working on cars on to my daughters. Just because they are chics doesnt mean they cant learn how to keep their cars running. If nothing else, they can learn enough so a Garage cant rip them off when Dad is long gone.

I also hope they dont fall in love with a ***** that drives a Honda or doesnt know where the dip stick is on his Corvette. I guess we will see in another 15 years!

Chad
Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Reasons like that I take friends for a ride and kids I do not know. Get them interested and motivated.

Quick Reply: The decline of car culture in America and America's youth