The decline of car culture in America and America's youth

Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The decline of car culture in America and America's youth

I'm sure y'all have noticed the decline of car culture over the past few years. It seems like the hobby is dying and becoming a niche throughout America. Thankfully, we in a state with one of the strongest economies in America and car culture is still somewhat alive compared to other states. However, statistics are showing a decline of the American love affair of automobiles.

When the Mustang was introduced in 1964, it was targeted to the young and wild American men that wanted a exciting car that reflected their personality. Today, the average Mustang buyer is a 51 year old women. Not to seem like I'm bashing on the Ford camp, I'm sure the average GT500 or BOSS buyer is a male but still close to 51 years old. If it wasn't for the older buyers and loyalists gear heads that grew up loving cars, the Mustang wouldn't be around today. The Mustang is the perfect analogy of the decline of car culture in America.

Statistics are showing that teenagers and young adults have little to no interest in driving. There has been a massive drop in new drivers license registration and reregistration. Getting a drivers license used to be a right of passage and now it's chore to drive for most teens and young adults. The stagnate global economy and high fuel prices are to blame. However, the real cause of this shift is due to sweeping sociological changes of the digital generation.

This young generation is the first generation completely consumed with communication technology after the explosion of the internet, smart phones, and cheap computers. Simply, teens and young adults would rather Facebook, Skype, and text friends rather than drive to meet friends in person. Why spend the money on a car, gas, and insurance when I can communicate with my friends on the internet? In the recent past, you had to drive somewhere to meet with friends and family. It's completely different today. Just sign on to Facebook, that's all you have to do. It goes much deeper but that gives you the basic idea. Technology is changing everything.

Car culture is becoming digital, the internet and online racing. For the most part, car culture used to be hanging out with your buddies changing oil. Now its sitting on the couch and hanging out with your friends on Facebook or a forum discussing cars. Getting dirty underneath is car is becoming less common every day. Sure our niche still does it, however most people can't drive a manual transmission or even check tire pressure. If there is something wrong with your car, OnStar will call you up and let you where the local GM dealership is.

Social changes, technology, fuel prices, and the poor economy are killing the car culture. To make things even worse, the price of future cars are predicted to skyrocket because of the new government CAFE requirements for auto manufactures. Cars have to get a double the fuel economy ratings using expensive technology in the near future. And to make it even worse than that, autonomous cars are coming. By 2020 there will be cars that self drive owners where ever they want to go. That one right there is the killer of main stream car culture.

Cars controlled by OnStar and Google maps are going to look somewhat like this in the next decade.

We are becoming a narrowed niche of V8 lovers. I don't think mainstream car culture will return to its glory days unless massive changes are made. Writing this made me a little depressed so I'm going to end it here.

Last edited by texas94z; 09-21-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's because most kids these days aren't motivated by anything and have no drive. I know I sound old but I'm really scared to see how things will be in 20 years. Even these new guys out here in the patch, I'd say 1 in 20 actually make it. We just had a guy last a week and then went back to flipping burgers because this was too hard. These kids want everything handed to them and don't really want to earn ****. Ok I'm getting off my soap box. Yes there are a couple hard working young men out here and I'm glad but they are outweighed by freeloading pussies that'll be on welfare by 25.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

I don't like driving because I don't like wasting 2-3 hours in ******* traffic. It's easier to take public transportation. And traffic is even worse on the weekends!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

I'm 19 and about to start my first solo swap project on a 1986 Supra.
I've spent my entire life at a drag ship or a shop with my dad helping and learning all I could and assisting him on all the cool custom builds he's done. Now its my turn to see how I handle things without him looking over my back.
I'll tell you what tho, I owe it all to him. He was on a race team since he was 16 and he always tried his best to keep me involved whenever he could, so really I'd say my generation relies on our parents for this. Please, coming from a 19 year old who sees plenty of kids who think they know everything about cars. If you reading this have a child, educate them and involve them and see where that gets you. I know ill spend my life around cars and I have my dad to thank for it
Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by derrickman05
That's because most kids these days aren't motivated by anything and have no drive. I know I sound old but I'm really scared to see how things will be in 20 years. Even these new guys out here in the patch, I'd say 1 in 20 actually make it. We just had a guy last a week and then went back to flipping burgers because this was too hard. These kids want everything handed to them and don't really want to earn ****. Ok I'm getting off my soap box. Yes there are a couple hard working young men out here and I'm glad but they are outweighed by freeloading pussies that'll be on welfare by 25.
Another social issue of that generation. In a class I'm taking right now, I read about how the workforce of that generation and business are going have to adapt to each other. The future workforce grew up in a comfortable environment with internet and other technologies while watching their parents kill themselves working. The digital generation won't struggle like their unhappy parents. They would rather work a easy job and play on the internet. No money, no car, nothing. I'm worried about the future of America too.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The true car culture has always been a niche group. Very few people out of the whole buys cars with the intent to mod and race. It also doesn't help that gas is expensive, laws have really cracked down on street racing, and the fuggin babyboomers drove the price up on old cars. Its rediculous what a rusty shell of a project goes for these days. Or at least what people think they're worth.

I've noticed the trend of "kids" having more cash to spend on their cars. When I was in HS in the 80's (yes I'm old) we didn't have anywhere near the modding funds that kids do now. I also find it funny how flat paint and mismatching wheels are trendy. That was just a sign of not having the coin the spend on a good paint job and wheels when I was young.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 09-21-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I'm one of less than a handful from my groups of friend who is a car guy. Nobody gets it.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I think I'm one of less than a handful from my groups of friend who is a car guy. Nobody gets it.
Really? Im pretty sure every one of my friends is a car guy, even a few builder/tuners in the mix there as well.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

I think it comes down to money. When I was 16 I was making about $8 an hour and gas was $1.10 a gallon. I could afford to cruise and enjoy my car. It would probably cost me less than $60 dollars a MONTH in gas. Now i burn through that in 5 DAYS and overall, its way more than a car payment at the end of the month.

I'm 26 now and most places around me are only willing to pay the minimum wage to kids if they can even find a job. When I was in school I could handle about 25 hours a week. 8 dollars an hour after taxes for 25 hours a week is around $160. A tank of gas in my TA cost about 70. That would leave me with $90 dollars of earnings every week

That 90 dollars a week also needs to cover insurance, maybe car payments, and any repairs that a crappy car a young guy can afford. That's just to be able to drive and doesn't include a personal life or any bills like a cell phone.

At that rate whats the point? What regular guy could afford to PLAY with cars?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Camaro overtook mustang in sales so your point is kind of moot
Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

More young people might get into cars if GM and Ford could sell a car for less than 30 grand that was enjoyable to drive, and not a 4 banger....
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

And this is most kids nowadays anyway.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

My son will know how to swap an engine and do his own maintenance. Of course he will also have to help out around the house and earn money with odd jobs. It's ridiculous how this young generation doesn't want to actually work for anything, sad day.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive had my little brother with me at the shop so he can learn a thing or two. He was doing good but I think he got to the point where he got bored and is no longer interested. Now he lays on the couch at home on his phone eating up all the food. No interest in anything else.

You can't make someone take this hobby. I agree 100% that this new generation is hooked on technology. It has taken over, I go to my older brothers house and everyone of my nieces and nephews are on an i-pad, lap top or the phone. They are even too hooked on it to get up and give me a hug, they look quickly and say hi... oh well, all WE can do is try.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Teching In

I was just telling a friend how cars are the new fad, there are no more new "car guys" just douche bags that want to write checks and beat the next guy from a roll on the highway.

Up here in MN a lot of guys have 500-600whp cars that can only run 12s. I miss the days of meeting up with older guys and getting educated on cars and just talking to guys in general that actually know about cars.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by godlyxdan
I'm 19 and about to start my first solo swap project on a 1986 Supra.
I've spent my entire life at a drag ship or a shop with my dad helping and learning all I could and assisting him on all the cool custom builds he's done. Now its my turn to see how I handle things without him looking over my back.
I'll tell you what tho, I owe it all to him. He was on a race team since he was 16 and he always tried his best to keep me involved whenever he could, so really I'd say my generation relies on our parents for this. Please, coming from a 19 year old who sees plenty of kids who think they know everything about cars. If you reading this have a child, educate them and involve them and see where that gets you. I know ill spend my life around cars and I have my dad to thank for it
I also give thanks to my pops for always having me around him working on his cars. His Demon 340 was fun to work on, and so was his ram charger. He was always working on cars. I took to it more than my brothers, and I am glad I did. I have a job doing what I love to do, I really cant ask for more than that.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just turned 20. I've had my TA since i was 16. It was my HS car and I was known as the kid with the fast car. Actually I was the only kid in school who actually drove a V8. Everyone was messing around with V-techs and Inline 4's. At the age of 16 I fell in love with my car. I've moded it since. I've gone from Minor bolt ons to Heads and cam to all the way to fully forged 347 with a 200 shot. I'm 20 and i've built who successful engines on my own. But no one I know around my town is the same age as I am and builts engines. At all the car meets i attend every one is at least 6 years older than me.
And EVERY girl friend ive had.... (not saying im some sort of stud.) but they all hate how much money and time i spend on my car. But i love the car scene its just my thing.
I beieve theres kids my age that like/love cars but just dont know where to get information/learn. Information is getting harder to find. And sorry to say but these forums are getting consumed by trolls and real valid information is getting harder to find.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
...cars but just dont know where to get information/learn. Information is getting harder to find. And sorry to say but these forums are getting consumed by trolls and real valid information is getting harder to find.
I would disagree with that statement. Yes, there are plenty of trolls, but there are also lots of contributors with a wealth of info. I've learned just about everything automotive on forums.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:37 AM
Launching!

well im 24 now always loved cars. my dad never did he taught me how to fish (which i love as well) my parents always told me if i want it go and get it, so i put myself through college and bought my 99 z28. i always wanted to learn how to build a car. have that old school rumble. go to "the drag" yes i was born in the wrong time i guess. but now im on the path to buying my first house and rebuilding my motor. yeah i agree young adults my age would rather go clubbing but to me you cant beat a nice long drive with the tops off.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

I think there are still a decent number of kids that are "raised right" and appreciate an American V8 muscle car whether late model or classic.

But, I do fear the OP is partly right and there is a bit of a decline in the 60-year old "American Love Affair with the Automobile" that started in the 1950's.

I see a few factors:

1. Yes, it seems a smaller percentage of kids these days are just not into cars as there were when I was in High School 20 years ago. ( for me)

2. Too many of those who are interested in cars get caught up in the ricer garbage. They watch the F&F movies and draw the wrong lessons. When I was in high school nobody was modding a Japanese car. If they even owned one, it was a very utilitarian vehicle to get to work and school and to the grocery store. If you modded a Japanese car in the late 80's/early 90's (when I got my start) you probably would have been laughed out of the parking lot. People would have thought you needed to be institutionalized. These days, I still think that about ricers , but it sadly has become somewhat "normal".

3. You have a rise of "greenies", environmentally conscious people who do not like cars, who view them at best as a necessary evil. If these people live in a major metro area like NYC, Chicago, D.C., they simply don't own a car. If they live elsewhere, they drive a Prius or something appropriately boring and non-enthusiast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The decline of car culture in America and America's youth