Anyone know T-56's fairly well?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know T-56's fairly well?

I posted this in the manual sections,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...p-solving.html

but am not getting any help so far. The other day to work after downshifting, my transmission has stayed in 1st. Clutch still works an you can "shift" the gears, but even in any of the other gear slots, it still remains in 1st gear. There is no neutral or reverse. Just 1st gear lol.

Now, I do know my clutch is on its last leg and my tranny does have its issues. But I'm tryig to make it last till January when I'll be able to rebuild to stage 2 and do clutch/master cylinder swap. I'm certain it's something fairly affordable and simple but I do think I may have to drop the tranny. Any and all help appreciated!

Duke
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are you certain it's affordable and simple if you don't know what is wrong. Assuming it is something basic you are still looking at pulling the transmission out of the car
Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so you can put your shifter in different gears while in motion and you will always be in first gear? from what i am interpreting based on what you are describing, it doesnt sound like there is anything wrong with your clutch, it sounds like you have a transmission problem. something in the shifter or shift rail, shift fork, slider, etc.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

From your description sounds like its stuck in first, you can move the shifter but it's still technically in first. Probably have a broken fork so you can move the shifter but you can't actually shift gears. Will need repair im sure.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike96z
From your description sounds like its stuck in first, you can move the shifter but it's still technically in first. Probably have a broken fork so you can move the shifter but you can't actually shift gears. Will need repair im sure.
this

Or dumb suggestion but the little ball on the shifter is out of the little whole lol

Last edited by txh0tb0i972; 11-27-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by txh0tb0i972
this

Or dumb suggestion but the little ball on the shifter is out of the little whole lol

I would start with pulling the shifter first and seeing if everything is ok there. If that checks out, time to pull the transmission. The clutch has no effect on being able to select a gear.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
How are you certain it's affordable and simple if you don't know what is wrong. Assuming it is something basic you are still looking at pulling the transmission out of the car
Ok, you took my "certain" out of context. Lol, I'm fairly sure it's not major like a tranny rebuild, but more or less a small part. But yes, it does look as if trans will need to be pulled.

Originally Posted by jdoyle
so you can put your shifter in different gears while in motion and you will always be in first gear? from what i am interpreting based on what you are describing, it doesnt sound like there is anything wrong with your clutch, it sounds like you have a transmission problem. something in the shifter or shift rail, shift fork, slider, etc.
Originally Posted by Mike96z
I agree with both of you gentlemen. Im just trying to pin it to exactly would is causing my scenario.

Originally Posted by txh0tb0i972
this

I wish it was that

Originally Posted by 5w20

I would start with pulling the shifter first and seeing if everything is ok there. If that checks out, time to pull the transmission. The clutch has no effect on being able to select a gear.
Check, and mate. Did last night. Shifter checked out ok.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the shifter ball wasn't in there correctly the shifter would feel very loose and not right, should be noticeable. Now since that isn't your problem your going to need to pull the transmission and take it somewhere or have it pulled. Most people will tell you that you won't find the internal issue without pulling it apart. Then once they pull it apart they will tell you how many other worn parts there are that need to be replaced because they will soon wear out. That's just the way it goes unless you find some other reason why this thing wont shift outside of the transmission.

I've rebuilt a T-56 before and there always something that needs to be replaced when you pop it open.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exact same thing happened to me but it was 6th gear instead of 1st so I couldn't even drive it home. I don't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure it tore some **** up. I had 6 speed inc rebuild it. Good luck tho
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm thinking trans rebuild.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking trans upgrade time. You are going to have to crack it open. Spend the extra few bucks and upgrade the internals since its going to be ripped completely apart to fix it.

Quick Reply: Anyone know T-56's fairly well?