I have a possible job opportunity in Midland, TX

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I have a possible job opportunity in Midland, TX

How is the car scene over there and what is there to do?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Car scene is nothing like Houston. There are a lot of really nice cars there though. A lot of older muscle cars, I have seen a few pretty crazy collections including real Yenko, COPO etc. They have car shows once every month or two at hooters and stuff and I think some of the guys still meet at the Sonic in Odessa. What to do? They have an 1/8 mile track in between Midland and Odessa and A track in Penwell about 20 min out of town. The bar scene/ nicer restaurant scene is slowly picking up. I have lived there for 4.5 years now. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Launching!

It's a dust bowl. Good luck keeping your car clean
Old 05-19-2015, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the 1 bedroom apartments out there still 1500 a month?

I remember I stayed out there right after my daughter was first born and was paying 250 a night or something stupid like that for a shitty hotel..

Supposedly there isn't enough places to stay for the amount of workers out there.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
Are the 1 bedroom apartments out there still 1500 a month?

I remember I stayed out there right after my daughter was first born and was paying 250 a night or something stupid like that for a shitty hotel..

Supposedly there isn't enough places to stay for the amount of workers out there.
I was looking at the housing earlier. its almost double what it is here in pasadena, deer park, laporte area
Old 05-19-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its hot as f*** in the shade. Smells of drilling fluids......and is pretty desolate. If I had a choice I wouldn't live there.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:49 AM
Teching In

There is absolutely jack **** to do in Midland/Odessa. If you like overpriced houses, terrible service at restraunts, and the bar scene then you'll be fine. Also, the car scene there was decent when I moved last year, not sure what it's like now.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
I was looking at the housing earlier. its almost double what it is here in pasadena, deer park, laporte area
Yep, with its proximity to the oilfields housing is going to expensive.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

You might wanna try looking into housing in the Big Spring area. I went out there a few times last year and that's where the company always put us up due to it being so much cheaper for hotels than in the Midland/Odessa townships. I think it was around $130-140 a night for a pretty nice room in the Hampton Inn & Suites.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 78novacaine
You might wanna try looking into housing in the Big Spring area. I went out there a few times last year and that's where the company always put us up due to it being so much cheaper for hotels than in the Midland/Odessa townships. I think it was around $130-140 a night for a pretty nice room in the Hampton Inn & Suites.
thats the same amount as a 4 bedroom house in town. Plus my baby cant sleep outside, I need a garage. This will be a 3-5 year project so a rent house is feasible as long as the per diem is good, which it should be.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of job if you don't mind me asking? I've lived in Odessa all my life, isn't as bad as everyone makes it seem. Yes housing is expensive no denying that. Car scene is good, just have to find the right ppl. These two towns are growing at a quick pace and doesn't look like its stopping, no matter what the price of oil is. The university just approved a college team, a new school, a shitload of new houses, restaurants. If you come down give me a shout.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by v8sten
thats the same amount as a 4 bedroom house in town. Plus my baby cant sleep outside, I need a garage. This will be a 3-5 year project so a rent house is feasible as long as the per diem is good, which it should be.
I was saying that if a rathole motel in Midland goes for $250/night as said above, and a nice hotel in Big Spring goes for $140/night, therefore rental properties would most likely be much cheaper as well. Hence why I said look into housing as my very first sentence.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Midland/Odessa has to be one of the worst places to live in America. I lived there for four years and couldn't stand it. I would avoid it like the plague.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was saying that if a rathole motel in Midland goes for $250/night as said above, and a nice hotel in Big Spring goes for $140/night, therefore rental properties would most likely be much cheaper as well. Hence why I said look into housing as my very first sentence.
Do they give you bottled water there? And tell you whatever you do don't drink out of the tap? Lol
Old 05-22-2015, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Do they give you bottled water there? And tell you whatever you do don't drink out of the tap? Lol
I always have bottled water, but that's because I don't drink tap water even at home, so not sure what your point is.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I always have bottled water, but that's because I don't drink tap water even at home, so not sure what your point is.

You fancy huh??!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My point being, I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel living somewhere. Where they literally tell you it's unsafe to drink the tap water..
Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

You fancy huh??!
Yup!!

My point being, I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel living somewhere. Where they literally tell you it's unsafe to drink the tap water..
I never heard anything about that in the weeks I was there. Just letting the guy know there are other towns in the area that aren't full retard expensive to stay at. But have fun staying in your $250/night shithole if you wind up back there for any reason.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just fly them to Houston now.

**** west Texas.

Yep!!

I never heard anything about that in the weeks I was there. Just letting the guy know there are other towns in the area that aren't full retard expensive to stay at. But have fun staying in your $250/night shithole if you wind up back there for any reason.

Quick Reply: I have a possible job opportunity in Midland, TX