Attorney recommendations? Denied Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked in service almost my entire adult life. The dealer that sold the vehicle would be responsible for the damage if they claim neglect. Reason being, they have to do a complete vehicle inspection prior to selling a extended warranty. So essentially you were sold a warranty knowing the engine was neglected and would fail. Now if it just transferring the warranty from a prior owner, it could be a bit harder to make your case. You'd be surprised how many cars get pushed through with issues that come back in a few thousand miles with a claim.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:43 AM
LS7 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down

So they stand by their claim of "low or dirty oil at some point" being the cause. A picture of the main bearing will be posted soon (can't at work). They only had one showing and it was scorched, but the surrounding rod bearing journals were fine...

I have service records for the car that show oil changes within the dealer recommended intervals for mileage and time (every 6k miles / 6 months), but they say they can't be sure those dealers put in synthetic / enough oil / that the motor didn't have a leak at some point. It was such a waste of my time. I'm going to have my lawyer deal with it from here on out and I'm going to get someone else to go in and inspect the motor / the rest of the mains. I don't think they've even pulled a valve cover to check the rockers.

When I brought up that Helfman's service department was the last group to change the oil and have their hands on the car they said the oil level was fine when it came in, even though over the phone they claimed it was low but within spec. "We'll never know when the damage occurred, but it wasn't a manufacturer defect", even though they haven't done a thorough run through of the motor. I was also told "you don't know how many times I've seen service records falsified" when I was holding a carfax.

I spoke with somewhat at the ford dealership after and he is going to follow up with their third-party warranty provider and get back to me today.

I'm pretty much done dealing with them at this point. The lawyers can figure it out.

edit: The vehicle was sold with both of the original Factory bumper to bumper and powertrain warranties, as well as an additional 3yr / 100,000 mile third-party powertrain warranty. Apparently I had double coverage of the motor, but no coverage. Fun stuff.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:19 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by UTzo6
A picture of the main bearing will be posted soon (can't at work).
Attorney recommendations? Denied Warranty-k3b6ecs.jpg
Old 07-31-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Well if nothing else, hopefully this will lose them a sale or two. I have had a similar but not as bad of an experience with Don Davis in Lake Jackson. I went down to Port Lavaca with the same issue and they took care of me in short order. If the motor was low on oil at some point that would mean that a gasket failed which is also a failed part that should be covered under the same warranty. Be sure to out this bullshit on Facebook and other popular sites and get the word out there.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:58 AM
LS7 Member

I'm going to let this play out before I start ripping people all over the place online.

I feel like the motor needs to be looked at in more detail and some of the involved parties (ford, and additional warranty) need to have more time to figure it out on their end.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The moment you involve an attorney the service manager will become less cooperative. I would simply be as persistent as possible, restate the facts as you know them, and try not to llose your temper. Also in some cases going higher up to the general manager may play in your favor. Just remember attorneys cost money, **** people off, drag out timelines, and generally are a pita. I think you'll get it fixed under warranty, just be persistent.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:30 AM
LS7 Member

I get what you're saying, but it has already been a month, and I met yesterday with the service manager of the dealership and the Chrysler regional manager who approves or denies the warranty claims. I was very calm and professional about the situation. The service manager has been easy to deal with and seems like a genuinely good dude.

The Chrylser rep is considered the corporate decision maker. They weren't trying to work with me at all and didn't care about service records. I don't understand why you think if I continue asking they will just change their tune. From my understanding, the service manager cannot make the call if corporate rep will not pay for it. If he does the dealership eats the cost. It is on Chrysler to warranty the vehicle.

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership I bought it from and the aftermarket warranty people now.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. So you even produce records and they wiggle out of that like the slime they are with some retarded excuses. Holy crap.

Burn them.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I get what you're saying, but it has already been a month, and I met yesterday with the service manager of the dealership and the Chrysler regional manager who approves or denies the warranty claims. I was very calm and professional about the situation. The service manager has been easy to deal with and seems like a genuinely good dude.

The Chrylser rep is considered the corporate decision maker. They weren't trying to work with me at all and didn't care about service records. I don't understand why you think if I continue asking they will just change their tune. From my understanding, the service manager cannot make the call if corporate rep will not pay for it. If he does the dealership eats the cost. It is on Chrysler to warranty the vehicle.

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership I bought it from and the aftermarket warranty people now.

If everything you posted is true I would quit playing nice guy. I would call every news station (each one has there own investigative reporter) that usually covers stories like yours. Then call the dealer owner, and then straight to dodge, skip all the middle people and people you have been dealing with. Also send them all certified letters letting them know if they dont honor the warranty legal action is the next step. I dont see with the records you have how they have a leg to stand on. Also file a complaint with the better business bureau. My brother went through something similar, they said they would pay for the new motor and once it was in and finished refused to pay the bill because he didint have all his oil change receipts. In his case he didnt have any documentation to back anything up.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Exactly. Out them in as big a way as you can for free and then if you need to, hire the attorney. I know someone who got there 2008 Tahoe transmission replaced by the dealer for free simply for stating she wished she bought the Nissan she test drove before the Tahoe on Facebook.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Contact your Attorney General and Corporate. I did this for a Hotel stay which I was way over charged for (Camaro event) and they took a $165 charged and bumped it up to $280 just because the event was in town, I reserved the room a year in advance. Ended up contacting both and got a refund of the extra charges and a personal apology with a free stay all within 24 hours of me contacting them.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:25 AM
LS7 Member

Anyone know an engine builder / competent tech with some certs that would take a look at the motor? It's still apart and on a lift. Just need a look through and third party evaluation. Will pay for their time.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know an engine builder / competent tech with some certs that would take a look at the motor? It's still apart and on a lift. Just need a look through and third party evaluation. Will pay for their time.

Thanks
perhaps someone at SAM, maybe?
Old 08-14-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

any progress
Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 AM
LS7 Member

Everything was filed last week. Just a waiting game now.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

In for results.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

wow man. curious to see what happens.

sorry your going through this kind of bullshit
Old 09-08-2015, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

curios to see what happens.

J
Old 09-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Following this to see the result, hopefully in your favor. I had a dealership in DFW pull some similar bs on my last Z28 over 10 years ago. They fixed the transmission under warranty and then the service tech decided not to fully attach the driveshaft to the rear end. Had to involve my dad and he had to threaten to bring in the attorney friends from his Executive job at a Fortune 15 company. They said it was an issue of having an aftermarket driveshaft, but it came with the car. But they sold me the warranty of the car as is, even with a lid and exhaust and lowering kit. They replaced the driveshaft and did all work under warranty after that.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any updates?

Quick Reply: Attorney recommendations? Denied Warranty