College Student Needs Help: Information Wanted for Tranny & Rear End Swap

Old 09-25-2015, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default College Student Needs Help: Information Wanted for Tranny & Rear End Swap

Long story short:
I still have my camaro in the sig below but she's taken a beating since the last time I posted on this forum. I am still in college and only have two years left. With that being said, I blew the trans not too long ago (3rd and 4th let loose before I left for Texas Tech) as well as my rear end is ready to grenade at any given moment.

This is where I need LS1 Tech's help:
My parents have a 1999 Suburban that they are willing to part out to me, i.e they are allowing me to take the trans and the rear end out of it if and only if each part will fit in my car. I have done my research and came up with the fact that in theory it should work. However since i am a novice with this type of situation I would rather be more informed onto whether or not ill be needing random misc parts.

My questions are:
A) Will the trans and rear end fit just as stock?
B) Will the Trans "talk" to my computer and shift correctly
C) Will there be any necessary parts to make everything "talk" correctly between each other..ie: will i need an adapter for the pcm? ( I do not know if each transmission stock wiring harnesses are different or not)
D) Does anyone know the gear ratio for the old 1999 Suburbans?
E) Is there any differences in the transmissions (truck transmission v.s preformence based transmission)

Misc Info that I forgot to mention:
1) The Surburban's engine is blown (cracked block) which is why they are parting it out to me
2) The Surburban does not have TC from what I know nor does my Camaro
3) The Surburban is 2wd

Last edited by camAro242; 09-25-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As a former professional GM racing transmission builder turned college student (and I'm about your age) I think I can help you out here a bit.

As far as the 4L60E goes, you're not in luck. I'm much more of a 4L80E and TH400 oriented pro, but the tailhousing will be different. Easy swap though. However, the pump stator may be different and the input shaft will likely be different, so the converter will be as well. The trans shouldn't have any issues communicating with the PCM if all else is equalized, but it's probably a moot point. The internal wiring harnesses are the same.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
As a former professional GM racing transmission builder turned college student (and I'm about your age) I think I can help you out here a bit.

As far as the 4L60E goes, you're not in luck. I'm much more of a 4L80E and TH400 oriented pro, but the tailhousing will be different. Easy swap though. However, the pump stator may be different and the input shaft will likely be different, so the converter will be as well. The trans shouldn't have any issues communicating with the PCM if all else is equalized, but it's probably a moot point. The internal wiring harnesses are the same.
the tailhousing & input shaft wont be a big deal as i can source that from my camaro.

Other than that, I do not know where to find pump stator. The converter can be sourced cheaply.

So in all do yall think this is possible? Please leave your input. Thank You
Old 09-26-2015, 03:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The input shaft will be a big deal since by that point you may as well just rebuild the F-body trans. Changing the shaft would require a complete input housing swap, which is pointless if you just replace the clutches. Also may be troublesome if you have no experience with transmissions trying to get it back together.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
The input shaft will be a big deal since by that point you may as well just rebuild the F-body trans. Changing the shaft would require a complete input housing swap, which is pointless if you just replace the clutches. Also may be troublesome if you have no experience with transmissions trying to get it back together.
ah damn, I didnt know it would be that big of a project just to replace the input shaft. In that case ill rethink what I end up doing
Old 10-02-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

the rear end from a suburban and from an F body are completely and totally different, they are in no way interchangeable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: College Student Needs Help: Information Wanted for Tranny & Rear End Swap