Track only car. What class is popular?

Old 12-19-2015, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Track only car. What class is popular?

So I've moved away from the street scene and am moving forward to building a dedicated track car. That being said what classes have the most following these days? Mind you in don't have x275 or pro mod money so what stock suspension, non street car, classes are seeing a lot of track time now that I can still be competitive in on a blue collar budget?

Trying to decide if I would have more fun building for a class or just build whatever and show up. Northstar would be my home track.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The only thing that fits a blue collar budget is bracket racing or index racing. Other than sanctioned (stock eliminator, super stock, etc.) classes, the few you can find find are just crybaby fests.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know with index you build the car to run a time index. But on bracket you just run what ya brung and the tree makes it even. correct?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:19 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Do not hold me to it, but next year I'll be trying to start a street car class down here. Will be a few requirements and there will always be bitching about who is this and that but will be for street cars that are track raced at the 1/8 mile.

Pump gasoline only(this will catch hell for the E85 users but oh well)
No mini tub or back half
Stock style suspension

If there is any question of capability, a 40 mile cruise will be worked in if there are doubters. Fill up at shell of wherever sells the pump **** water, run the speed limit on the local freeway.

The **** may go nowhere but it will be a top ten and I will
Probably get Htownracing involved since we have had a top ten class for real street cars on the street but many of us want a legal action class for street cars.

Again, there will be bitching as with any rules but it is to be fair for those that want to have fun.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Index. You run a certain time which is the same as your competitor. So build a 9 second car and run it in the 9.90 class. Try not to go faster than 9.90. You run a throttle stop to delay the power at the launch which slows your ET down.

Bracket is what I ran. You state the time you are going to run and try not to go faster than that time. You can run against cars of a lot of different times. I have run my mid 7 second dragster against 10 second cars. A 3 second head start is really run when you run them down at the end and pass them at over 70mph difference.

Either class you will need to have your car really dialed in. My dragster ran 7.60 in the 1/4. When I put the number on the car we are trying to run within .005 to .009 on the dialed in time. So we try to run 7.609 at worse or closer to the dial. Its takes a good car, good driver and a weather station to know what the weather is doing at all times to dial a car to the thousandths of a second at 180mph. The air could slow my car down .1 or more in the 1/4. That's a lot really going from 7.60 to a 7.70.

Bracket is something anyone can race and you can spend whatever you choose to spend. You can run footbrake or NO electronics class which is more about the driver leaving good. Or spend a little bit more and run the electronics class which are normally faster cars.

Grudge type racing is going to be expensive. Its run what you brung basically.

Last edited by Taxman20; 12-20-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Taxman20
Index. You run a certain time which is the same as your competitor. So build a 9 second car and run it in the 9.90 class. Try not to go faster than 9.90. You run a throttle stop to delay the power at the launch which slows your ET down.

Bracket is what I ran. You state the time you are going to run and try not to go faster than that time. You can run against cars of a lot of different times. I have run my mid 7 second dragster against 10 second cars. A 3 second head start is really run when you run them down at the end and pass them at over 70mph difference.

Either class you will need to have your car really dialed in. My dragster ran 7.60 in the 1/4. When I put the number on the car we are trying to run within .005 to .009 on the dialed in time. So we try to run 7.609 at worse or closer to the dial. Its takes a good car, good driver and a weather station to know what the weather is doing at all times to dial a car to the thousandths of a second at 180mph. The air could slow my car down .1 or more in the 1/4. That's a lot really going from 7.60 to a 7.70.

Bracket is something anyone can race and you can spend whatever you choose to spend. You can run footbrake or NO electronics class which is more about the driver leaving good. Or spend a little bit more and run the electronics class which are normally faster cars.

Grudge type racing is going to be expensive. Its run what you brung basically.
Great description. Just what I'm looking for. Thanks alot
Old 12-20-2015, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

What car are you going to build?
Old 12-22-2015, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if they have something like that up here at the Texas Motorplex?

Chad
Old 12-22-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

No problem. I would go Footbrake bracket racing to be the least expensive. Work on cutting great lights and getting the car consistent. Doesn't take a ton of cash to do that.

There are classes that are grudge type racing in the outlaw type series. They have lots of classes. But they travel around so it wouldn't be a weekly thing you would have. They have classes from near stock to 6 second Pro Outlaws making 3k+ Hp. Also its expensive. Even the stock suspension guys spend a ton on the cars.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bracket and race a 90' Camaro that is just bolt on suspension that is gutted and caged. I run a stock 160k miles LS1, TH350 with a brake, and a 9" Ford. It is plenty fast enough to compete in No Electronics and can even make a round now and then in All Run (electronics). I love it and I am not even good at it. A lot of people knock it but most of them just sit around and talk about grudge racing.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Yea. Bracket racing takes driver skill. Grudge just takes a lot of money.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like Bracket will be the ticket for me. Car is nothing fancy. 2001 mustang lq4 swap with S480 and TH400. As time goes on the car will progress. 25.5 cage, gutted, mini tubbed, full tubular suspension, maual brakes and steering, CF body panels etc. Then eventually save up and swap the lq4 for an aluminum, forged 370 probably.

Its going to take me a long while because I really want to focus on quality parts the first time around with an emphasis on weight anywhere possible.

But hopefully I can get the front suspension swapped out, motor in then gut it and get it on the track. Have fun with it and build as I go instead of it being a jackstand queen for years. Been there done that.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only thing I wonder about is getting the consistancy im looking for in a turbo car to be competitve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track only car. What class is popular?