2010 V sedan, 68k miles, took to dealership for oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2010 V sedan, 68k miles, took to dealership for oil change

They pull it back to me with CE light on. Closing time so they end up telling me a way and tel, me no warranty. It is a 2010 CPO caddy V. Still have close to 2 yrs warranty.

Have it scanned miss on cylinder 3..
Any recourse. Waiting till monday.
Any suggestions for me? Oh and it has sat in my garage after a repaint.
Only mod is an airaid
All work done at Sewell in Houston.
Thanks for any help.

Wes Brown
Old 12-20-2015, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you reset the code and see if it returns?

Don
Old 12-20-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What they did was take it around the block for a road test/check before they delivered it and hung on the rev limiter a little to long.Seen it a million times
Old 12-20-2015, 08:13 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

You can hit the rev limiter too much? That a supercharger thing? I've beat the **** out of my cars on the rev limiter and never skipped a beat or reported a missfire or otherwise.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Time for a compression check... Just sayin!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

But but SBE King!!
Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Turbo_Stang
What they did was take it around the block for a road test/check before they delivered it and hung on the rev limiter a little to long.Seen it a million times
Have you actually worked at a dealer? That's about the dumbest thing I've read on the internet that wasn't sourced from Bernie Sanders this week.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
Have you actually worked at a dealer? That's about the dumbest thing I've read on the internet that wasn't sourced from Bernie Sanders this week.
It's not that farfetched.. Go in for a oil change and now you have misfires? Umm something went down
Old 12-23-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-23-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Burken01
It's not that farfetched.. Go in for a oil change and now you have misfires? Umm something went down
I mean it's not possible an electrical component like an ignition coil could go bad, right?

People are always quick to point the finger and say, "that's the bad guy".
Old 12-23-2015, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 5w20
I mean it's not possible an electrical component like an ignition coil could go bad, right? People are always quick to point the finger and say, "that's the bad guy".
Highly unlikely a 5 yr old ignition coil randomly went out during the 20-30 min oil change. But yes anything is possible which was my whole point..
Old 12-23-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been passenger in customer cars while the mechanics beat on them..
Old 12-23-2015, 07:33 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

The irony of the ignorance within this post.

Meanwhile:
http://jalopnik.com/dealership-total...eal-1498804012

Last edited by audacious nick; 12-23-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by audacious nick
The irony of the ignorance within this post. Meanwhile: http://jalopnik.com/dealership-total...eal-1498804012
That was a sad read
Old 12-24-2015, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took it to autozone, they cleared the code, the CEL came back on after about 50 miles. I checked the plug wire and didn't find anything loose. Was driving yesterday evening now the light is off. Guess I will try the inspection again. Of course if if passes I can't get it registered.
I am old so I used to work on old 70s cars and when you had a miss you could definitely tell. My V is running smooth as ever.
I am on the SW part of town, someone mentioned compression test, any recommendations?
Or shop in general, I have a pile of mods that I have been gathering that I need installed. Lower pulley and will.buy an u per to go with it. Also been told to do a cam since it will be torn down. I use this as a DD so nothing.real radical. Of course need injectors and been told headers if doing lower pulley . And the list grows longer. Haha. But wife just got laid off and she actually made .ore.then me.

Anyhow thanks for the reponse s and Merry Christmas to y'all and families . If that makes you unhappy happy holiday for the rest you u.

Wes
Old 12-24-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Dealer "doing something" to cause a miss, impossible to correlate, less possible to prove cause. Now that the miss seems to have cleared, not sure I would worry about it. At 5-6 years and 60k+, I am betting those injectors have never been cleaned...and would be a very possible cause of a misfire that goes away. VERY common. Could also be a piece of carbon broke loose and then cleared itself after a bit. I would do a professional injector flush and decarb, or seafoam it yourself, change the oil again, and carry on with the mods. Don't do a cam if you're the **** type or want factory reliability. Headers, pulley, CAI, heat exchanger, injectors, and a good tune are as far as I would go if I wanted it to run pretty much like stock until I hammered it. You can pick up 80+ at the tire without cracking the longblock, no problem. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...acecraft+cts-v
Old 12-29-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
I've been passenger in customer cars while the mechanics beat on them..

That's quite a claim that you didn't seem to be hesitant on posting, which dealer? Let's bring some reality to your story, which is they were probably less than $15/h kids working out of tool carts at a non OEM retailer, probably some independent shade tree shop.

Originally Posted by audacious nick
The irony of the ignorance within this post.

Meanwhile:
http://jalopnik.com/dealership-total...eal-1498804012
It's newsworthy because the typical dealer in Houston takes in and returns over 250 cars a day, 300 days a year.

The logic your using is as follows:

Isolated event occurs that you saw 8th hand on the internet. Despite overwhelming 1st hand data indicating it is an isolated event you saw 8th hand, you choose to irrationally side with 8th hand internet data.

But hey it's the internet, lets completely overlook the tens of thousands of cars that get oil changed daily in the Houston area, you're clearly the only person with a 68,000 mile CTS-V that comes through that these people have had access to potentially end their careers by joyriding in since 2009.

In all reality dealer employees have access to these cars all day, and they really don't care.

It always made me automatically know customers were self centered fools when they'd bring in their silver Corvette that they wanted E85 systems incorrectly installed by Fast Automotive (another fly by night shop that shouldn't have existed in the first place) covered under warranty, and they'd bring their car in with microphones and cameras because the drivability technician that was going to look at it clearly wants to feel the power, when in reality he has a decommissioned NHRA pro stock Pontiac that he regularly runs on the weekends.

Seriously guys, it's almost like you have a fetish like desire hoping that someone will beat on your car, reality is nobody cares. You own a mechanical device, 90% of the time I saw customers flip out "omg my car broke while it was here" it turned into "Dearest customer that thinks your the coolest car to ever roll in, you didn't tighten your gas cap when you went to Kroger and bought gas, and also jfyi your supercharged vehicle you've modded should probably be running on something other than 87 octane at Kroger".

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has worked at a dealership that can chime in, although I'm sure because some of you just have to be involved you'll talk about your buddies buddies facebook friend's cousin's nephews facebook friends buddy who is an entry level technician somewhere that did something dumb 10 years ago and you're still talking about it because that's the type of reality you like to live in.

Last edited by mikespeed95; 12-29-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

If the CEL comes back, you might try moving the driverside coil pack and that plug wire for 3 to the passenger side and vice versa and see if the CEL gets set on an even numbered cylinder ( a weak coil could cause a misfire). Next I'd move the injector if a CEL is still getting set for 3 (a bad o-ring/vacuum leak at the injector could be the cause, or just a bad injector) You could also spray some carb cleaner around the injector for #3, should cause a change in idle if there is a vacuum leak there.

*least likely...If you are still unable to diagnose doing the above, would pull the drivers side valve cover and check the pushrods, rockers for 3, could have a slightly bent intake pushrod, though I would expect it to be ticking like a bomb if that were really the case.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Major foreign auto dealer. Mechanic certified through the company to work on cars that cost over 100k dollars..

If you think a guy is taking your car down the block and laying into it. You're a fool.

I also know guys who have taken out a mustang and wreaked it while hot rodding Around. Blamed it on the rain and the dealer just fixed it.

Major auto dealer, and dealer mechanics.

That's quite a claim that you didn't seem to be hesitant on posting, which dealer? Let's bring some reality to your story, which is they were probably less than $15/h kids working out of tool carts at a non OEM retailer, probably some independent shade tree shop.

It's newsworthy because the typical dealer in Houston takes in and returns over 250 cars a day, 300 days a year.

The logic your using is as follows:

Isolated event occurs that you saw 8th hand on the internet. Despite overwhelming 1st hand data indicating it is an isolated event you saw 8th hand, you choose to irrationally side with 8th hand internet data.

But hey it's the internet, lets completely overlook the tens of thousands of cars that get oil changed daily in the Houston area, you're clearly the only person with a 68,000 mile CTS-V that comes through that these people have had access to potentially end their careers by joyriding in since 2009.

In all reality dealer employees have access to these cars all day, and they really don't care.

It always made me automatically know customers were self centered fools when they'd bring in their silver Corvette that they wanted E85 systems incorrectly installed by Fast Automotive (another fly by night shop that shouldn't have existed in the first place) covered under warranty, and they'd bring their car in with microphones and cameras because the drivability technician that was going to look at it clearly wants to feel the power, when in reality he has a decommissioned NHRA pro stock Pontiac that he regularly runs on the weekends.

Seriously guys, it's almost like you have a fetish like desire hoping that someone will beat on your car, reality is nobody cares. You own a mechanical device, 90% of the time I saw customers flip out "omg my car broke while it was here" it turned into "Dearest customer that thinks your the coolest car to ever roll in, you didn't tighten your gas cap when you went to Kroger and bought gas, and also jfyi your supercharged vehicle you've modded should probably be running on something other than 87 octane at Kroger".

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has worked at a dealership that can chime in, although I'm sure because some of you just have to be involved you'll talk about your buddies buddies facebook friend's cousin's nephews facebook friends buddy who is an entry level technician somewhere that did something dumb 10 years ago and you're still talking about it because that's the type of reality you like to live in.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
Major foreign auto dealer.
Since you're doing the community a favor by raising blood pressure and concern, with tales from this mysterious unknown and uncited dealership, why don't you be fully committed to the cause and divulge this key information to protect community members?

Mechanic certified through the company to work on cars that cost over 100k dollars..If you think a guy is taking your car down the block and laying into it. You're a fool.
I didn't quite understand your sentence fragments, could you try to use English again? I think I understand what you are almost achieving success at saying, which certainly adds some real merit to your posts.

I also know guys who have taken out a mustang and wreaked it while hot rodding Around. Blamed it on the rain and the dealer just fixed it.
You're saying you know some guys...

Ladies and gentleman of LS1 Tech, I really want us all to take a moment and process this, he knows some guys. This is a big deal. And the bigger deal is they wreaked a mustang. Apparently this dealership and incident transpired in the area of..."Around"...?

Where is "Around" by the way? I noticed you chose to indicate it is a proper noun, not familiar with that side of town. You are correct in not capitalizing mustang, those cars don't matter. Most of the people who own them are quite uneducated, and have low intelligence, often participating in things like gossip and believing everything they read on the internet, and making it their own story. They also tend to really struggle with basic grammar and other fundamental things taught in elementary school, and support economic plans by Bernie Sanders.

Major auto dealer, and dealer mechanics.
I really want to thank you for sharing such an impactful, fact filled, and clearly first hand story. What are the names of some of these places so I can know to avoid them? It is truly in the best interest of the community when people like you, make posts like this to elevate the blood pressure and concern, and add gray hairs to another member when in all reality, as someone else that has first hand experience pointed out, it is a 60,000 mile car that has probably been driven hard, and an intermittent CEL is going to pop up every once in a while in the modern day and age where cars have no less than 10 million sensors and throw a CEL any time something is not perfect. I can not thank you enough for investing your time to make your contribution in the manner you have.

I would really encourage all members to take time to thank user 'blackonblacksls' for such an informative, and incredibly intelligent post that clearly had the best interest of the LS1 Tech community in mind when he chose to do such an excellent job composing it. People like him are what is going to make America great again.

Last edited by mikespeed95; 01-11-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 V sedan, 68k miles, took to dealership for oil change