Looking to borrow a turbo for mock up

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Looking to borrow a turbo for mock up

I have a 1990 Camaro with an LS1 and I am wanting to start gathering parts for a turbo setup. There are no kits for this car with an LS and all of the pictures I find are of street cars or old school SBC's. I have never done a turbo on anything and have no idea where to begin or physical sizes of turbos. I am not sure if I want to go single or twin. I am also not sure if I want to go with forward headers or manifolds. I don't want to move my alternator up so I am thinking headers will have to be my route. I can make a drive or even haul the car somewhere but to get a starting point. I would also be willing to buy a crashed turbo for mock up if someone has one or twins. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

VW Jetta/Subaru/EVO turbos are paper weights. For what you are doing I suggest picking up some blown turbos off diesel trucks. They are comparable to gas turbos but the rear housings are typically larger. The housings are weird though, don't expect to find a v band connections.

Holset off Cummins trucks are plentiful and cheap, several sizes and configurations.
HX35 and 40 are good for T3/T4 twins. HX90 would equate to a large frame T6. Its a large frame good for mockup, you will need to make supports or the weight will break pipes.

Ford powerstroke trucks have a Garret 37 variant, weird housings but still good for initial mockup to see how twin 35R or 37R would fit.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info. I will start researching some of it. I really just need access to one for an hour or so to get an idea within the universe as to what I want to do.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a small on u can borrow
Old 01-08-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome
I'll get up with you in the next day or so.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Looking to borrow a turbo for mock up