Summit racing charging tax in Texas Now

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Summit racing charging tax in Texas Now

I was getting ready to order my wheels from summit and now they are charging sale tax for Texas anyone notice this?
Old 08-06-2016, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Yep, this last Tuesday. I even sent them an email about it.

Here it is. Needless to say I am going back to Jegs until they do the same thing.

Thank you for your email.

Summit Racing intends to establish a business presence in the state of Texas. That means we are required by Texas law to collect sales tax. You will continue to get free shipping on any order over $99.00, fast delivery and the excellent customer service and tech support Summit Racing has always provided. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We appreciate your business.
Regards,
Carson
Customer By Web Form 08/02/2016 04:51 PM
I was placing an order today and noticed that Summit is now adding tax to Texas customers. I buy form you guys due to being able to save this tax. I can buy locally for the same amount and support local shops if I wanted to pay state tax. I ended up ordering through another online store that does not add the state tax on our orders. I have been a customer of Summit for a long time and have spent a lot of money with you guys, but this is going to lose my business. I feel that Summit will lose a lot of Texas customers over this issue. I just wanted to share this with you since I am very disappointed that you guys have started adding tax to us in Texas.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Funny how you brought this up on tax free weekend. Lol

On a serious note, I'm not thrilled about this either. I will e-mail them too and voice my opinion. I just ordered some parts two days ago and noticed I was taxed.

I believe Jegs price matches Summit and I'll be ordering more stuff off eBay.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Jegs is the same price 99% of the time. Yea it sucks though. Ill buy local when all online places start charging tax. Once this happens it will kill the online market. Local shops sell at the same price so the only reason to buy online are the guys who live in the boonies with no local stores close by.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like Jegs will be getting my business. I'm not going to pay an extra 8%.

Don
Old 08-08-2016, 11:15 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

It is only because of state law. If jegs sets up shop in Texas, they will start charging. Always had better service with jegs anyway.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Zone says, Texas is requiring Summit do this. Summit isn't doing this to generate more revenue. It means Summit is probably setting up a warehouse or some other physical location in Texas, which should mean a few more jobs in Texas.

If you buy online and don't pay sales tax, you are legally required to pay use tax at the Texas sales tax rate, but very few individuals do.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's still not as bad as California. I tried ordering some stuff for my Dad in CA via Summit, and for certain parts they won't let you order it without indicating that it's for offroad use, which seems like you could be legally held accountable for that if they catch you with those parts installed.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple years back there was big commotion when Amazon had to start charging sales tax also in Texas and people were saying they'll never order from them again. Guess it was a pretty small minority, since it looks like they are still doing just fine.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

State law.... once they step foot in TX its required they charge tax for TX shipments.
There's a loophole if you live near a state border and ship it to a neighbor across the line lol

Wonder where they will setup and if its a reasonable driving distance to pickup large parts.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Wonder where they will setup and if its a reasonable driving distance to pickup large parts.
Someone will be getting lucky...I hope it's Central Texas. Man, I couldn't imagine a Summit warehouse in my area
Old 08-13-2016, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I guess i'm built different, I'm not going to threaten to stop doing business with anyone just because they are following the laws they are bound to. Y'all are threatening to stop doing business with them like they are gonna come back and say "you're right, we'll break the law for you and not charge it".
Old 08-13-2016, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I guess i'm built different, I'm not going to threaten to stop doing business with anyone just because they are following the laws they are bound to. Y'all are threatening to stop doing business with them like they are gonna come back and say "you're right, we'll break the law for you and not charge it".
This is correct. Thank you for being sane and using common sense.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man that sucks bad!!!! gonna hurt sales, but there a huge marketplace
Old 08-13-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

LOL. Some of you "legit and Legal" guys just don't get the point, so you'll keep preaching from the pulpit because somehow you feel it makes you a better person than some of us I guess.

I know all about taxes. I own 2 companies that pay plenty. I know all about the states trying to make the online companies charge tax to every state no matter where you live or where their store is located. IF you would actually read my post and not "read into it" you would see that I am in fact fine with paying the state sales tax, but if there is a way to save this amount of money, then of course I would prefer to do so. When there is no other option for saving this tax, then I will buy local which would cost me the same amount as buying online and I can get my parts the same day.

So the bottom line is, I pay enough in tax every year. If I can save some money then yes, I prefer to do so. Our awesome government taxes the **** of me enough already.

Last edited by Taxman20; 08-14-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why would anyone pay 8.25% more to buy from Summit if the same thing is available from Jegs for the same price without sales tax? Makes no sense....

Don
Old 08-14-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

WS6 STORE ALL THE WAY....unless they don't carry what I looking for. I rarely order from Summit anymore anyhow. Jegs has always had better service in my opinion.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhutton
Why would anyone pay 8.25% more to buy from Summit if the same thing is available from Jegs for the same price without sales tax? Makes no sense....

Don
I agree. I've owned a business and have run others. I know how this works. If Summit wants to save and make more money in multiple ways by having a warehouse in Texas, they knew that this would hurt sales in Texas by customers buying elsewhere due to sales tax. Sorry, but we get taxed enough. Taxed when we make money, then taxed when we spend the money that we already got taxed on, then get taxed on our property (that was paid for with money that was already taxed), taxed if our money makes us any money, and then we have inflation to deal with. Sorry, but it's ridiculous. Our "government" has gotten way to comfortable doing whatever they want without asking and paying themselves whatever they want.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gesto
Like Zone says, Texas is requiring Summit do this. Summit isn't doing this to generate more revenue. It means Summit is probably setting up a warehouse or some other physical location in Texas, which should mean a few more jobs in Texas.

If you buy online and don't pay sales tax, you are legally required to pay use tax at the Texas sales tax rate, but very few individuals do.
And that's the important part.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Taxman20
LOL. Some of you "legit and Legal" guys just don't get the point, so you'll keep preaching from the pulpit because somehow you feel it makes you a better person than some of us I guess.

I know all about taxes. I own 2 companies that pay plenty. I know all about the states trying to make the online companies charge tax to every state no matter where you live or where their store is located. IF you would actually read my post and not "read into it" you would see that I am in fact fine with paying the state sales tax, but if there is a way to save this amount of money, then of course I would prefer to do so. When there is no other option for saving this tax, then I will buy local which would cost me the same amount as buying online and I can get my parts the same day.

So the bottom line is, I pay enough in tax every year. If I can save some money then yes, I prefer to do so. Our awesome government taxes the **** of me enough already.
If you're referring to me, I'm in no pulpit, I am in one of those local businesses you threaten to support.

Quick Reply: Summit racing charging tax in Texas Now