Good shop to learn at? (San Antonio)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good shop to learn at? (San Antonio)

I've always been fascinated with working on and fixing cars ever since watching and helping my uncle who is a master Mercedes mechanic back in Germany, but while I'm good at fixing and diagnostics, I haven't had a chance to really fabricate and work on any cool builds. It's ironic because I've got one project and I want to start another (which will actually help me progress with the first one). I'd hoped after several years of living here, I'd meet some other car folks my age to get together with and learn and just tinker and build, but it seems my age-group (25) is more interested in the Asian-import scene. Nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea, and they aren't exactly doing motor swaps.

I've got some welding experience, but would like to practice more. I've volunteered at a few shops on the past here (for no pay, of course) and often found myself just fixing and replacing parts on customer cars (guess you can't beat free labor) with scattered focus on builds that have been sitting for 3-4+ years.

So, while perhaps I'm not looking to get back into that again, it would be nice to be able to help someone out with a build on the north side of town. May be a bridge too far, but certainly doesn't hurt to ask!
Old 12-15-2016, 12:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the race track where real men hang out. HMP, LMP, RP etc. walk through the pits and strike up a convo. If you have a way with words and don't come off like a creeper someone might let you hang around and give a hand
Old 12-16-2016, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Ah damn, I'll need to work on my mouth breathing and standing creepily over the shoulders of others while staring blankly at whatever they're doing.

Heading to a track sounds fun; haven't been to one in a while.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:30 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Azryael
Ah damn, I'll need to work on my mouth breathing and standing creepily over the shoulders of others while staring blankly at whatever they're doing.

Heading to a track sounds fun; haven't been to one in a while.
Lmao! If you've ever moved through the pits at HMP asking questions you'd know what I mean. People aren't exactly friendly.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Teching In

That's a shame honestly.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:23 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Azryael
That's a shame honestly.
Agreed. People are secretive, it's the nature of racing. You can find some good people
out there who are willing to help and like the conversation though. You just have to dig and frequent the places. It won't take long.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's plenty of performance shops hiring here locally. Go to the SAR like OSCS suggested. Also go to a few of the meets. You can find a meet pretty much every day of the week here. There's always someone looking around for help especially fab help. As far as engine swaps are concerned, I've met plenty of people doing vast amount of different swaps.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Been out the last week with all the festivities, but I'll be looking for some meets coming up just to head out there. Would be nice to meet some folks with LS swap experience so I can actually gets some pointers to get my swap under way.

Honestly, I just wanna learn how to do some neat stuff so I can **** off the purists who think reliable/neat swaps cost $50,000... Granted, I do know that once the bug bites you to upgrade the hell out of your motor, it can get pricey!

Quick Reply: Good shop to learn at? (San Antonio)