Selling a car I never Titled / Registered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Selling a car I never Titled / Registered?

So I got this car online and had it shipped here. Guy I bought it from had never titled it either apparently. The title it has is a SC title issue in 2016 and just One name on back (not who I bought it from but matches title) and it looks like he signed/printed/addressed it as he was the seller and everything else is blank.

I am trading it for another car to a local guy for an even swap.

Can he just fill in his name as buyer and that be that, as if I never owned it? He intends to title and register it. I don't want to waste the money titling it of course since I'm not keeping it, but he's a little leery of the whole process since my name is nowhere on title.

So, do I need to "find" a signed bill of sale with title holders name on it signed, or get title holder to sign a transfer form or something.

**I have no way to contact guy whose name is on title
Old 04-10-2017, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyin...-with-no-title
Old 04-10-2017, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Out of state title transfers are tricky. I bought a car from a kid from Montana who was here for college, he graduated and was moving back home. Long story short I had to have a copy of the drivers license of the titled owner and some notarized tax forms to transfer it to me.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Call your local title company.They Will charge you a small fee but do all the paper work for you.Hassle free.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Make it super simple (I go thru this all the time). What is the date the sale took place (from signed owner)? if you don't mind being creative it makes life a **** ton simpler. Simply type up an affidavit of error from seller who's name is signed to the new buyer who you are trading or selling. Make it short and simple and state it was signed by accident on the 2016 date but was recently sold (within the week of new buyer getting it) to new buyer and sign sellers name. Done with no back fees (I do this pretty much all the time). Literally just did something similar today on a car I'm selling.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you, I figured there was a creative way to handle this easily.

The title holder made it easy on us I believe.

The only thing filled in on back of title is indicated by bold text below:

The undersigned hereby certifies that title to the vehicle described herein has been transferred on this 14th day of 2017 year _____ to:

Year is in wrong box though, can I just put month in year box and hope it works or do I need to cross it out and do something else?

The bold is only thing filled in on whole back of title along with the sellers info below.
sellers signature/printed name/ and address in bottom right as it should be.

It seems like it would be easy enough, but I am still confused on how trade will work. I think there is an 10 dollar even trade tax option we can use, but when car is not in my name I'm not sure if that's possible?

Last edited by Silver 2000 Ram Air; 04-11-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Yayyy another jump title ....
Old 04-11-2017, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, it's a 60's firebird I owned less than a month, don't think I'm doing anything super shady here.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

It's an open title, which is a legal grey area here in Texas. Basically if it's not dated, no penalties will happen. Your buyer will have to get it inspected and transferred.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Yayyy another jump title ....
You sure are quick to jump on such comments.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codyvette
You sure are quick to jump on such comments.
Uhhh... I was browsing forum, saw a new post, and replied. Sorry I didn't wait X amount of time for there to be an appropriate time gap in between post to meet your standards. LOL

Anyways, deal is done, thanks to those who helped.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver 2000 Ram Air
Uhhh... I was browsing forum, saw a new post, and replied. Sorry I didn't wait X amount of time for there to be an appropriate time gap in between post to meet your standards. LOL

Anyways, deal is done, thanks to those who helped.
HaHa!....and you're quick to not pay attention to the fact that that I quoted Immastocker, not you. He is always bustin someone's chops over such things. Cool you got your deal done. I was gonna word it a little different but you obviously got the idea.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
HaHa!....and you're quick to not pay attention to the fact that that I quoted Immastocker, not you. He is always bustin someone's chops over such things. Cool you got your deal done. I was gonna word it a little different but you obviously got the idea.
Caught me! I'll try to wait at least 24 hrs next time

Been there, done that, just recently decided to keep and register an open title project. That deal was actually done 2 years ago but form 130-U and signed title made it just as buying it that day. Also been on the not so easy side that ended up with parting out and scrapping the frame.

Anyways, glad the OP got it handled easily.

Quick Reply: Selling a car I never Titled / Registered?