Vehicle inspections gone, now if we could just get rid of front license plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Read a couple insurance reports, estimated about 30% of Houston metro drivers do not have any insurance AT ALL. It went on to estimate about 1/3 of insured do not have enough coverage.

Rough figures about half of Houston commuters don't have enough to cover hitting a fairly new Camry. Minimum liability of $20k to property won't come close to major damage on a newer style mustang, most vettes, 5th gen or newer Camaro, just about any truck since 2010, or a Bentley trunk. Minimum liability coverage pays zero to injuries, so injuries are considered part of the insufficiency.
If the reports were done by insurance companies they are probably bullshit.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The major issue would be brakes and tires. I was an inspector for 4 years, I only failed one person for bad brakes out of that time. I failed about a handful of people for low tire tread. Out of all of them, none ever came back for their free re-inspection. My guess is, they just found some place that would pass it instead of spending the $400+ to fix the car.

Other important items, such as headlights/brake lights/turn signals/even window tint are traffic violations - which the police do a good job at keeping people in check

Heck, I took my '70 Chevelle to get an inspection last week and it didn't even leave the parking spot/no one looked at it lol The guy just said "okay you're good to go" and gave me my inspection report. Waste of time!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would hope it keeps dip ***** off of the road, but it doesnt.

Inspection can be extremely subjective, had a shop fail some one for a dirty looking power steering hose, saying they needed $700 in work to pass inspection.

Then you get extremely stupid emissions check engine lights. I've seen extremely clean older vehicles scrapped due to egr and air codes. Think about your average $1800 blazer needing a new secondary air pump and your average mother in law who knows nothing about cars. We're not talking about major emissions systems, but when you talk about repair prices from a shop that secondary air system can really mess you up.

My father in law had to have a coolant level sensor replaced in his 2013 escape because it triggered a check engine light. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but that car doesn't have a coolant level sensor and takes readings based on pressure. So his out the door total was $1300 from ford out of warranty
Old 05-22-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Big part of why you won't see a vehicle in my stable newer than 2006 for most models.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Then you get extremely stupid emissions check engine lights.
Yup. I had a really nice 96 Caddy DeVille a few years ago and it was otherwise great, but had a SES light for tranny input speed sensor. WTF does that seriously have to do with emissions??? In real life, that is.

Sensor price was something like 50-70 bucks, but it's located deep inside the tranny and would've been a nightmare DIY job or $1000-$1200 to have a shop do it. Ummm... No thanks...

There is also a way to make the PCM think the signal is correct and I already bought all the necessary stuff for it (PCB, some diodes and other components, battery holders etc.), but decided to get rid of it rather than whip out my solder iron and start building the board...
Old 05-24-2017, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep same story everywhere. Kill a good car for a stupid reason, and the worst part is that usually your average mother in law person with that blazer goes and gets a car from a buy here pay here lot and gets a car with severe problems

Newer cars can be extremely vulnerable to outside software so its not all a bad thing. You can start by reading up on "vehicle can bus hacking" and see how basic programming can make almost any newer vehicle passive to computer inputs. You watch for the vehicle to broad cast specific vehicle coding terms and you can trigger or ignore different vehicle systems
Old 05-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taspeed
if i recall there has been no front plate in tx since jan or feb 2016
reference???
Old 05-26-2017, 05:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scout2000
reference???
LOL... I think he recalled wrong.

A couple years ago the enforcement penalty was accidentally dropped, but the law was still in effect. That's all be rectified so back to normally scheduled programming.

When/if it does happen the Texas internets will blow up and we will know about it. In the mean time no plate for me.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in the day i was like Zane. **** the inspection and imma wait til hpd catch me.
Now im the inspector😃

Quick Reply: Vehicle inspections gone, now if we could just get rid of front license plates