Summit 6.0 engine blows

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should've just had one picked up at the local junkyard and fed it 25lbs of boost on "stock untouched internals" and ran 7's. The internet told me you could that kind of stuff without batting an eye.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:30 PM

Well what I'd like to know is if it's a known issue is ATK contacting customers who purchased the 6.0 ? I'm looking to buy a suburban with an ATK notor just installed with only 5 thousand miles. I'm a new member and joined to research the ATK rebuild. So if I buy the Suburban can I expect the motor to come apart in 20 thousand miles? That would totally negate a good deal on this Suburban
Old 08-16-2017, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

OP def flipped out because they didn't just give him a brand new motor immediately. Sounds like they are being very reasonable and taking care of you. You need to settle down. And if you're 48 why in the hell is ATK talking to your mom for you? And if you're so behind on work than why are you spending all of the time to drive the motor there and back?

Mommy, my motow went boom boom and they wont gimme anothew one, wwwaaahhh!

Motor blows up. Still under warranty. Gets motor warrantied. Cries and tells everyone how fucked up the company that is helping his. GTFO dude.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartanJohn
Well what I'd like to know is if it's a known issue is ATK contacting customers who purchased the 6.0 ? I'm looking to buy a suburban with an ATK notor just installed with only 5 thousand miles. I'm a new member and joined to research the ATK rebuild. So if I buy the Suburban can I expect the motor to come apart in 20 thousand miles? That would totally negate a good deal on this Suburban
I think you have unrealistic expectations and wonder if you've read the rest of this thread. Why would ATK contact anyone unless the customer contacted them first? Do you think someone here has a crystal ball and can predict the future? LS motors tend to be reliable but things can break. ATK is one of the better aftermarket builders and their rep is solid. Your low price ("good deal") is the tradeoff for buying a used SUV. If you can't swing that, buy one at a GM dealer, with a GM Protection Plan to give you peace of mind. There are only 1 or 2 good aftermarket warranty companies. What you're looking at may be too old to qualify. In that case, you're back to the price savings in return for risk on a high mileage vehicle. If you don't have the cash to repair it and/or feel uneasy about the deal/vehicle, trust your gut and keep looking.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 PM

Just seems to me if you know you have a problem with the keepers you can contact your customers to have him replace the keepers which is cheaper than having a full motor rebuild. I only put about 4000 miles a year on my vehicle it's that I Would-be long out of warranty by the time the motor went South .
Old 08-16-2017, 02:26 PM

If ATK offered an extended warranty for X amount of dollars for say 5 years with a limit on the miles that Would-be awesome .And it would probably alleviate My concerns .But I don't think they do that and I doubt Anyone else does. So I don't have any misconceptions about that.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

We’ve identified a problem with some keepers from one of our suppliers that altered the spring height enough to cause premature spring failure (25k miles in your case), if the engine is operated in enough cycles at high RPM. These are Howards valve springs and a very high quality spring.

SOME KEEPERS, ONE SUPPLIER, IF OPERATED IN ENOUGH CYCLES AT HIGH RPM.

They aren't going to go chasing this.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:00 PM

Yeah I get that, but if there was a way to identify the keepers that's a much easier fix I could do myself vs motor going south and having to pay a mechanic to remove and reinstall the new motor and deal with that costly mess.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're worried about it negotiate it down a little and replace them.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:49 PM

Now that's thats a great idea. Thank you I don't know why I didn't think of that. Guess I had my blinders on. Now that's why I joined this forum to get someone else's perspective.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Someone else's perspective.... no shortage of that here LMAO
Old 08-18-2017, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Default Atk

I did not flip out and just expect a new engine. I had another employee(son) handle this. When Summit was notified they just kinda blew him off. When ATK was contacted, they stated they would pick the motor up and inspect the damage. We delivered the engine to them, at their shop. My thinking of this was that the sooner they got the motor, the faster I could have my truck up and running. Hell, I could see the damage. This motor was never abused and was taken care of. This motor belonged in a work truck. I thought I bought a crate motor for reliability and just posted word for word what my experience was, at no point did I lie or call anybody names. I did not cry about it. I WROTE ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH SUMMIT AND ATK. I do not post a ton of stuff on this site or any other. But I read this site almost everyday. ATK replaced the engine and Summit gave a discount on parts to replace the engine. I should have updated this thread. In the end, everything worked out. NO, I was not happy about the time it took to get this handled. I do not expect for the world to stop turning and fix my problems, but I am also a realistic person.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Default facts

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Someone else's perspective.... no shortage of that here LMAO
This is the facts and nothing but the facts.

Quick Reply: Summit 6.0 engine blows