Houston - where are you getting your slicks mounted?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Houston - where are you getting your slicks mounted?

Gents
I have a slicks/skinnies setup that just came in.
Where are you guys getting your mounting done, outside of a Discount tire or something?
Discount does a good job but I have not had the best luck with them. Was looking for a better service, higher speed balancing...etc. Also if the shop does any wheel painting.
Thanks for any help.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Most drag racers bubble balance there own front runners. I don't think I have ever been to a tire shop with better service than discount tire.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

I just got rubbed the wrong way, but I have always had good service from them in the past.
On this go around it was just little things.... my car is lowered but they jacked the car up off the lift points, didn't do a star pattern when torquing the lugs, and a strip of the sticky wheel weights fell off after a day. it was enough for me to see if there is a higher service operation. Also, some shops can balance tires with load up to 150mph. Discount I believe balances to 60-80mph. I don't think all that is needed for slicks at the track, but I wanted to do this on my radials wheels/tires as well since I am doing some of the 1/2 mile drag runs.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Go buy a tire (mounter/remover) machine from harbor fright and do your own tires. I have one that I use to change my sport bike tires with. I bike shops would rape me on the mounting because I bought the tires online and not from them. I like being able to do my tire when I wanted to. I haven't tried a car tire yet but the machine is capable of doing it, can't hurt to take a look.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
Go buy a tire (mounter/remover) machine from harbor fright and do your own tires. I have one that I use to change my sport bike tires with. I bike shops would rape me on the mounting because I bought the tires online and not from them. I like being able to do my tire when I wanted to. I haven't tried a car tire yet but the machine is capable of doing it, can't hurt to take a look.
If it was just the front runners, I suppose I would do this.
I prefer a shop to do it. Not really interested at this point in buying an air compressor, tire remover, bubble balancer for a set of slicks I will not use very often.
Also, my street wheels are expensive as well as no longer made, and I don't trust myself to do this without damaging them. Also, I don't know much on the subject, but a high speed load balance at 100-150+mph sounds better to me than a bubble balancer for the wheels I am going to use in 1/2 mile runs.

There are so many shady places in Houston....if there is not a good wheel tire shop to recommend, I suppose I am stuck with Discount.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been using Tires R Us off Wayside for about a year now. I buy and flip alot of CCW's and use them because they are affordable, fast and don't scratch my wheels up.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I've been using Tires R Us off Wayside for about a year now. I buy and flip alot of CCW's and use them because they are affordable, fast and don't scratch my wheels up.
Thanks for recommendation. Looks like they have good reviews as well.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:00 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using discount tire, but I don't take the car just the wheels.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Tires

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
When you own a sport bike and don't do your own tires...

I can't imagine paying a shop that much money. When I was doing track days and a lot of hill country riding, plus commuting to work a lot. 13 rears at the peak one year and probably 6 fronts. Had an extra set of wheels complete down to the spacers. Sidewalk chalk and an extra axle shaft...balancing fool.

Discount Tire has been my go to tire place for decades on auto tires but I find the one in Lake Jackson to be the worst one that I've ever used.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used discount and many of my stick on weights have fallen off on the rear wheels. Now when I drive the car I have a noticeable shack in the rear end about 90 - 120. What type of weights are typically used on performance cars, and is it necessary or recommended to take the balancer the car?

Any other Houston wheel balancer suggestions?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Just called Tires R Us. The tire balancer said they balance the same way Discount Tire does. They get the tire up to approx. 30 mph, and set from there. They also just use the sticky weights, and these are the ones that I have been having an issue with them falling off.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Try Tires by Design at 11700 Space Center Blvd, Houston, TX 77059. They have touchless mounting, great service, and services higher end cars, so maybe they can help.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Thanks 383. What is Touchless Mounting? Do they need the car there, or can I just bring them the tires?
Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

I found this place called Motorwerks near Ferrari of Houston to help me mount my BBS RK's and repair one of the wheels. They claim to do the high speed balancing which attracted me. They also have a show roof of Ford GT's, Lambo's and Ferraris which was fun.
I think they did a good job in their work, but they did not see that two of the wheels had nails in the tires before they did the balancing...this is after I told them about the nails. I should have made the sales guy write it down because I knew he would forget when he said no problem.
So they delivered me perfectly balanced wheels of which 2 needed to have nails removed. He then told me they don't do that kind of work with patching nails on tires...which was the main reason I needed them repaired.
I was pissed. They could tell and knocked 1/2 off the price.
I am pissed again now writing this and even though they do good work, I will not use them again.
I went back to discount, patched the nail damage on both and did their standard balancing. Tires are great and have tested them up to 150mph. Discount is OK again in my book.

For my slicks and skinnies - I went to American Tire wheel
http://www.americanwheelandtire.com/
They powder coated the wheels Black and mounted/balanced the slicks.
I would give them a B+ on the work. They missed some spots on the inner wheel and coating came out OK. It is just my drag setup so I didn't really nit pick or give them a hard time. I have not tried them out yet, cobra is under the knife for full motor build until end of Feb. Will let you know how they perform.

Quick Reply: Houston - where are you getting your slicks mounted?