Anyone know anything about grass? St Augustine grass is bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Anyone know anything about grass? St Augustine grass is bad

Not only is the grass dying badly.. I'm getting these weird weeds, they almost look like st Augustine, but have purple / maroon runners. They are taking over the yard, and I can't find where the weed has started to pull the root, the real st Augustine under it looks dead also.. Anyone know what I should do? Is there a service anyone recommends that can come and fix my lawn?
Old 09-03-2017, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

http://randylemmon.com/
Old 09-03-2017, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-03-2017, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmilz28
just sent him an email, hopefully he replies
Old 09-04-2017, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

If that fails, call in his radio show on Saturday AMs. Seems like people can get through fairly easily.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

It looks like a sort of Bermudagrass.... not the golf course breed. Had some growing in my yard along with thistles and a ground ivy.

Glad I'm not the only one here neglecting my lawn lol
Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
It looks like a sort of Bermudagrass.... not the golf course breed. Had some growing in my yard along with thistles and a ground ivy.

Glad I'm not the only one here neglecting my lawn lol
I'll probably need to remove the grass and re-sod
Old 09-06-2017, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Started poking around the weeds growing in my lawn this morning, one of the ryes has those purple tinted stems but less bushy than your pic. These grow radiating out from a central point, maybe you have a native rye also? Gonna be hard to tell without mowing those bastards down.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:11 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The grass in question looks to be Bahia. Looking at your yard compared to the neighbors is quite a delta. I would have thought perhaps your grass was suffering from overwatering from the floods. But the neighbors look fine. So, not sure that is the issue.

Does the entire yard look like that. The Bahia is growing because the St. Augustine is dying. Did it look like this before the floods?

I'd look at a good "weed and feed" to see if it will help turn things around.

Grass identification
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/F...tpmcpu8052.pdf
Old 09-08-2017, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by J-Rod
The grass in question looks to be Bahia. Looking at your yard compared to the neighbors is quite a delta. I would have thought perhaps your grass was suffering from overwatering from the floods. But the neighbors look fine. So, not sure that is the issue.

Does the entire yard look like that. The Bahia is growing because the St. Augustine is dying. Did it look like this before the floods?

I'd look at a good "weed and feed" to see if it will help turn things around.

Grass identification
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/F...tpmcpu8052.pdf
It looked like this before the floods, I just did a weed and week about 3 days ago, and it seems to have done nothing lol That's what is weird is that my neighbor's yard there is a clear cut off, like as if the weeds do not want to go into their lawn.. I never see the neighbors doing anything to their yard, and it looks pretty good.. wish I had that

Driving out of my neighborhood, the "grass" they have in the medians is the exact type of grass that is popping up in my yard. It does looks like Bahia, except I can't see the purple runners in Bahia pics, which my grass has.

I think it's grown so much, that it is uncontrollable at this point, I think my only option is to cut out that section of the grass and replace with new sod
Old 09-12-2017, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found that as long as it isn't bugs or fungus weed and feed can do wonders for st augustine.

I usually use scotts and use a lot of it. Whenever my yard has gotten out of hand like that the weed and feed with consistent watering has corrected it with 4-6 weeks
Old 09-13-2017, 09:55 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

And I'm one of those that cuts the lawn and that's it. Lol
Old 09-13-2017, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

mow it down really short, and spread scotts bonus S weed+feed. also spread some spectracide triazicide insect killer to take care of bugs above and below the surface. water at night so the sun doesnt burn the grass, and the grass can have a chance to absorb the water over night. that's the method that seems to work best for me here in the south.

expect your lawn to REAQUIRE weekly mowing using this method. otherwise it will quickly look even more shitty than it already does.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just gave up on my yard!!! Good luck bro....
Old 09-15-2017, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

you guys act like it's hard LOL. I owned a lawn service for 10 years. scotts bonus s is the ticket in the south. don't use miracle grow unless you want to mow every 2 days LOL
Old 09-17-2017, 03:00 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea it sure what is in bonus s but its worth the $50
Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
you guys act like it's hard LOL. I owned a lawn service for 10 years. scotts bonus s is the ticket in the south. don't use miracle grow unless you want to mow every 2 days LOL
lol my lawn makes me want to convert it to an El Paso lawn (gravel and cactus). I'm taking note on the Scott's bonus S, seems all the fertilizer I use doesn't do a damn thing!
Old 09-23-2017, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you fertilized in the past? Mine looked like this at one point after I fertilized, I burnt the **** out of it and it did not recover for over two years. Only thing that wanted to grow was weeds. What I noticed though was that the gound was really compacted, check to see if yours is too and then if so you should get it aerated.

It might be too far past repair if you fertilize but you will get rid of the weeds. Its never really too late for the grass, only time will tell, its going to come back at some point but not fast.

If you do resod dont hold your breath. It is just about too late for it to take and look alive and well. It will take but will probably not start to show healthy blades until spring, then it will make the rest of your yard look like crap. Dont rip it out if it all turns yellow and looks dead a week after you put it in, its somewhat normal this time of year and it will come back in the spring.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ

that is jonson grass. Very hard to get rid of because of the root system. What I did was to get some round up and pour it into some ziplock bags. Take the bags and put rhe ends of the Johnson grass in the ziplock bag in the roundup. Then I tie wrapped the bags to a wooden stake that I drove in the ground. Let it sit for a couple of days. It will kill the Johnson grass without killing everything else. If you try to re sod your yard it will grow back. The roots are very deep for a weed.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Look up the Lawn Care Nut on YouTube. He tells you stepby step on what you need to do. In a couple of months you're lawn will look good. Trust me!

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about grass? St Augustine grass is bad