Any shop or individual that can fix a leaky (rain into car,not mechanical) F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any shop or individual that can fix a leaky (rain into car,not mechanical) F-Body

So I've got this 01 ws6 vert and every time it rains it gets wet inside. It's been moved from garage recently due to a new car purchase so I guess it's been like this a while but it's kinda bad. During harvey it collected a pretty good bit. Pulled the seats and dried it all out and everything but I'm kinda lost on the leaks.

Anyone point me to shop who can do this kind of thing or an individual familiar with these for some side cash?

I'm in NW Houston

John
Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

That's a common issue with these cars. Usually gets worse when you back into a driveway (nose lower than tail). Water builds up along the hatch recess. Inspect the weatherstripping for dry rot, cracks, tears, and coming loose from the groove. Do the same with the vert top and pull the door panels to see if water is coming in there also.

Not a lot can be done to prevent it. To kill anything that might be growing try renting an ozone generator for an evening, let it run inside the car all night to kill the funk.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Any good dealer or body shop can fix a water leak. If they WILL, is another question. It takes a lot of time to do it right and you can't easily multitask, the tech can only work on one car while it's being hosed and monitored for a leak. Perfectly doable but usually expensive because it's time intensive and very difficult to cut corners, also easy to miss multiple leaks or misdiagnose.

After the repair, replace the jute. It never dries (too dense) and will continue to harbor mold growth. Carpet can usually be cleaned and dried, jute can not. I'd take the opportunity to replace carpet and jute as one piece.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, common with F bodies. You might need new weatherstrips. Also, pull your carpet, remove the insulation underneath and throw it away, clean the carpet and let it dry in the sun.

I used to deal with this stuff when I was at the dealership. A dealership should be able to take care of it, but they will likely charge $$. I don't know of any good independent shops anymore who could work on that.

Quick Reply: Any shop or individual that can fix a leaky (rain into car,not mechanical) F-Body