2014 and up GM trucks...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2014 and up GM trucks...

I've heard some pretty poor reviews on the newer trucks. I was considering getting a 2014 Silverado but I've heard they've been having some issues. Things like A.C condenser(or some other part) going bad and being back ordered and about 1k to fix. Also an issue with the brakes and another with injector issues. Apparently none of it is covered by gm either.

Anyone habe problems with theirs? I might just keep our little fuel efficient corolla if they are nothing but trouble.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have 33k miles on my 2015 6.2 SLT Sierra with the 8-Speed. The only issue is the shudder in the trans at low speed. But, it seems to be a problem across the board with the GM 8-speed transmissions.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:39 PM
Teching In

3K in on my new 2015 and the compressor grenaded itself. Warranty replacement seems to be working ok and I'm at 40k.
The shudder/shift at low speeds does get annoying, but I don't spend much time at that speed, so it doesn't bother me.

Richard
Old 03-07-2018, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Mine has 116k. I'm a tech of 20 years and we work on all makes and all models so I've seen quite a few of these in the shop. I've done the condensers and I had to do one on mine. If you get an early year plan on doing the condenser, or it may have already been done. It leaks at the top right corner where the drier line goes into the condenser (top right if your looking into the grill). I did an aftermarket one on mine that cost approx $100 (dealership I bought it from paid for it and supplied it to me because they missed it on the inspection) and it's a little difficult to put in but it's just nuts and bolts man. The factory ones are a little hard to get but I had a parts guy at GM call up and ask if they have been redesigned, he said they told him they have so the new condensers should be fine, they are around $140 at the dealer IIRC and they call for 4-5 hours to put in. Mine took me about an hour and a half. I heard they were on back order as well but the dealership said they could get me one no problem, so I'm guessing they are no longer on back order.

I've heard of the compressor and a/c line issues, but those tend to happen at low mileage so that's one of the reasons I bought a high mileage truck, it's past all that. If you buy new it should occur under warranty period and the issue should be resolved on newer year trucks, the 14 and 15 were the worst from what I understand with the a/c stuff. So if you buy new it should be a non issue anyway.

I bought a full optioned 2014 SLT for 23,800, it's got all the cool options like the denali has except magnetic ride control. We looked at the same identical truck brand new (optioned SLT) and it was 52k. I'm glad I got this truck, I've had no other problems other than the condenser so far.

These trucks also have issues with the lifters ******* up, but man every make has it's problems and I still wouldn't own a Ford. I work on them too much and there's no way I'd ever want to own one.

When it switches between 4cyl mode and 8cyl you can get some light funky feeling, which may be what guys are describing as a shudder, but most say they get the 4cyl mode tuned out and love it after that. I haven't noticed any trans shuddering and I've data streamed the trans while driving, the only funky feeling I felt and saw in data was 4cyl and 8 going in and out and shifting so it's just a mix of all those things going on. Again people that have tuned them say they really like the way the truck drives after. Another reason I bought used, so I could tune and not worry about warranty.

All the issues that occur during warranty period ARE covered by GM, don't know where you heard they aren't covered. I've seen a 14 with 10k on it pop an ac line and the dealer did cover it. When I googled the issue a lot of people said they had the issue very early on. Again, if you buy a later year these problems should be over with and a higher mileage one will be past the issue stage.

I was really worried like you are and pulled the trigger anyway, but I'm glad I did, I really love this truck. I have a friend with a 17 denali that has had 0 issues, a friend with a 14 sierra with 0 issues, mine had the condenser and we have several regular customers with these trucks and one had an ac line pop at 10k, one had the condenser leak and the others are doing good.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 03-07-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.silveradosierra.com has quite a good group of people with lots of good info.

Main thing is to disable AFM as soon as possible.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just make the smart decision like many are doing, and find a low mileage 00-07.5 and call it a day with a fat stack of cash left over. That's the best gasoline rig ever made.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the input guys. I think the wife is scared to get one now... but maybe it' still a possibility. I can't stand the way Ford builds their vehicles so that's never going to happen. Dodge and Toyota's are way too much of a gas hog. So that made Chevy the best option(of course). I was trying to go used to keep the cost down. The one we looked at was 27,991 with 47k miles. It did sound like it had a bad lifter though so that was a bit of a red flag on that one.

Another thing for us that keeps weighing in on not getting ANY truck all together is trading in a 2015 Corolla that gets 30mpg for a truck that gets half of that. But hey, that's a whole different subject not even relevant to this lol

I kinda figured most of them are good but man... I really don't trust dealers to fix anything under warranty. We've had some bad experiences before on previous new cars. I'll be on the lookout for a good deal and maybe we'llstill do it. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2018, 12:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 14 slt and my 18 all terrain have been great so far. I was lucky enough to not habe the condenser issue on ither. There good trucks.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 16 Z71 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.0 Midnight Edition it has 14k very clean truck hopefully I wont run into any issues mention above.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by camaroboricua
Thanks for the input guys. I think the wife is scared to get one now... but maybe it' still a possibility. I can't stand the way Ford builds their vehicles so that's never going to happen. Dodge and Toyota's are way too much of a gas hog. So that made Chevy the best option(of course). I was trying to go used to keep the cost down. The one we looked at was 27,991 with 47k miles. It did sound like it had a bad lifter though so that was a bit of a red flag on that one.

Another thing for us that keeps weighing in on not getting ANY truck all together is trading in a 2015 Corolla that gets 30mpg for a truck that gets half of that. But hey, that's a whole different subject not even relevant to this lol

I kinda figured most of them are good but man... I really don't trust dealers to fix anything under warranty. We've had some bad experiences before on previous new cars. I'll be on the lookout for a good deal and maybe we'llstill do it. Thanks!
This is the way I looked at it. If you're scared to buy a vehicle because it might have an issue pop up, don't ever buy a vehicle.

All of them have their issues, failures are going to happen.

I'm glad they have ac condenser issues and a few have compressor issues, so much better than engine, transmission, or electrical issues. Or heat/ac actuator issues where you need to work inside the dash of the vehicle or remove it.

If you're the least bit handy you can put your own parts on it and be fine.

I would rather work on a GM than a Ford any day, I see lots of Fords in the shop and they are always more difficult.

By the way the 14 + trucks make weird noises. The vacuum pump makes a rattle sound/click, the engine oil pump makes a weird noise when you first crank it and a sound similar to a pulley bearing starting to go bad while running. Mine freaked me out when I bought it because those sounds usually mean bad things but then I listened to customer vehicles and they sound the same then I googled and found that lots of people have the same noises and it's normal. I even put a new vacuum pump on mine and it makes the same exact sound the old one does

I also replaced the belt tensioner because it sounded like a pulley bearing noise, still sounds the exact same after that too. After I replaced that **** I had trucks come in and after I paid attention to them I noticed they were normal sounds for these trucks.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 03-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:32 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought a 2014 Sierra sle brand new and put 60k miles on it in about a year and a half. (I drive a lot) but never had a single issue with it. Other than the POS econo continental tires they put on the factory 20’s. Luckily I purchased my dealers “wheel and tire protection” plan when I bought it and it paid for itself 10 fold. I must have put 12 tires on that truck under warranty all at different times. The truck was perfect though. I do agree with the above post that they make weird noises lol.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by scj
I bought a 2014 Sierra sle brand new and put 60k miles on it in about a year and a half. (I drive a lot) but never had a single issue with it. Other than the POS econo continental tires they put on the factory 20’s. Luckily I purchased my dealers “wheel and tire protection” plan when I bought it and it paid for itself 10 fold. I must have put 12 tires on that truck under warranty all at different times. The truck was perfect though. I do agree with the above post that they make weird noises lol.
The a/c issues have people scared, but they don't affect the majority of the trucks, but it's enough of them to have info all over the net about it.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I loved my 16 5.3 A8 All terrain. But that damn 8 speed kept giving me issues so i traded it in for a 17 SLT with the 6 speed. I put 19k on the all terrain and 15k so far on my slt. Haven't had a single issue with this truck, I'm totally happy with it.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 2014, put 50k miles on it before getting rid of it.

Problems I had:
Drivers seat broke, to where I would bounce up and down if I went over a bump
Transmission would act up a little
AC stopped working randomly
The screen would stop working randomly and turn off or restart
Reverse camera would cut out 60% of the time
Bluetooth connection was very bad

I traded it in for a Ford, thinking the grass was greener on the other side.. Sometimes I wish I kept the Chevy even with the issues. The F-150 handles like complete ****, and the electronic steering is annoying. The Silverado handled great, with nice firm steering, but all the issues I was having put me off