Frame repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Frame repair

I'm looking for a frame shop in Dallas that has unibody frame measuring. With the crap streets here, I want to get the frame/body checked before I do subframe connectors.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
I'm looking for a frame shop in Dallas that has unibody frame measuring. With the crap streets here, I want to get the frame/body checked before I do subframe connectors.
Dallas frame and alignment.

However, there is gonna be a tolerance level there, and if it were out of specs you should know. You'd have misaligned panels/wrinkled panels/doors that don't align/bolts that wont go back in suspension parts etc.

IMO I think you're over thinking it and should just put the connectors on.

The crap streets will bend the suspension long before they bend the unibody
Old 04-27-2018, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

I'm already having door issues and there aren't any cracks by the hinges and the hinge pins and bushings are good.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm already having door issues and there aren't any cracks by the hinges and the hinge pins and bushings are good.
Door issues are usually sagging hinges, I regretted typing anything about the doors cause I had a feeling you'd say something about them. I see it all the time and it's always saggy hinges or bushings.

I always open them, take both hands and get under the door and pull up as hard as I can and it'll bend the hinges a hair and it'll line up and work great again. I've done this with jacks before too.

I'm sure you're dead set on the car having frame issues and you won't feel better about it until it's checked, so have it checked out. But I bet you it does nothing for your doors..

Unless there's something you're not saying, like it's been wrecked or you've bent the **** out of things before somehow.

I owned an F body for a long time. I had a couple of mishaps where it got slammed into a curb really bad and wadded up the suspension. It didn't do a damn thing to the body of the car or the alignment of anything. The suspension on those cars is far softer than the unibody. I've fixed a lot of mishaps on those cars that destroyed suspension parts and still no issues with the unibody, not just on my car. I'm a mechanic, I ran with lots of people with F bodies, and my dad had one that got wadded up, so I've seen a fair share of them that have had worse than pothole issues.

By all means get it checked though because you really never know until you do.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:03 AM
TECH Addict

One thing ive also noticed is whenever I do a clutch job, I have to pry on the transmission to get the trans mount lined back up. Never had that issue before moving to the DFW. Now i'm not saying for theres an issue with the body, but it does have about 200K miles on it. I haven't been babying it either. Now as far as adjusting the door, you've done that method on hinges with good pins and bushings and that helped?
Old 04-30-2018, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

One thing ive also noticed is whenever I do a clutch job, I have to pry on the transmission to get the trans mount lined back up. Never had that issue before moving to the DFW. Now i'm not saying for theres an issue with the body, but it does have about 200K miles on it. I haven't been babying it either. Now as far as adjusting the door, you've done that method on hinges with good pins and bushings and that helped?
Prying on the trans could mean many things. Sagging motor mounts could be a likely cause as well and it's really common.

Yes i've done that on doors that had good hinges and pins. I've had to do it for a couple of people that let the wind fling the door open and bend things, people that accidentally backed into things with the door open...

Just go slow and easy and be very careful. I've done it on lot's of cars but not many f bodies. May want to let a body shop work on that or whatever frame shop in case something goes bad it's on them not you.