track results

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default track results

went to HRP on wednesday, first time going to a track...
When I went to the tech guy he informed me shorts were not permitted, only long pants, so I had to leave, drive 15 mins. to a Sears, bought some Dickies on sale and went back. After that I got through and went to go race...

After recently installing my 9" I practiced my take off on the street a few times and noticed my clutch was slipping a little, well at the track I could tell it was slipping a lot in 1st. and every time I shifted.

they were about to close so I made the runs right after another and I think my car was getting kind of hot...

on the last two runs when I went to shift into 2nd gear something strange happened, if I remember correctly the clutch pedal stuck down and wouldnt pop back up, and I couldnt pull the shifter into gear. I was able to put it into gear normally a couple seconds later.

so anyway I think I need a new clutch setup before I race again and hopefully that will improve my 60' time a lot and get me in the 12's.
BTW Im looking to get a Ram Powergrip clutch

sorry for the long post, Im excited!

to see the time slips, go to
http://darmer.com/houston_raceway_park.htm

I was running on nitto DRs and I did a burnout for about 3 sec. then to take off I reved up the engine a little and let the clutch out quick but not a dump. over the 5 runs I switched it up a little.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

forgot to mention, I was about to redline in 4th just before I crossed the 1/4 mi. so I shifted to 5th every time, I didnt try to see if it would hit the rev limiter or not

oh, heres a list of my important mods

MTI clear lid
K&N filter kit
Pro 5.0
Hooker LT’s
Hooker ORY pipe

Chrome ZR1s (17 x 9.5"front and 11"back)
315 Nitto DRs
Harlan shift light (set at 5300 I believe)
Spohn adj. PHB
Granatelli LCAs
Hotchkis SFC
Eibach Pro kit
QTP e Cutout
Billingsley 9" 31 spline soft locker 3.89 gears 4 channel

FRA
Descreened MAF
Polished TB
TB bumpstop
!EGR
!AIR
Old 04-22-2005, 04:10 AM
TECH Pimp

thowing 5th at 105??
Old 04-22-2005, 06:27 AM
TECH Resident

What RPM are you Shifting?

Sounds like a stock clutch.?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

You pressure plate is going out big time if the pedal stuck like that. The only other thing that would cause it is if the throwout bearing is binding on the input shaft collar. I had similar things happen on a t-5 way back when and it was an indication that the pressure plate was warped.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

the car was stock when I bought it used so I assume its a stock clutch.
maybe its mostly the pressure plate, that would cause the clutch to slip too right, but Im pretty sure I need to upgrade the clutch anyway.

Tell you the truth Im not exactly sure what rpm I shifted at, I set the shift light for 5500 and when I see the light I think about shifting for a split second, then shift. I dont really watch the tach because it lags anyway.

I looked up the f body gear calc. and in 4th gear @6000 I should be going 115 mph, so maybe I can keep going
I had my tires at 20 psi, maybe that affects it a little vs. if they were fully inflated?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

my clutch was going the same thing, got the ram and mcleod master and all is good now, even with more rwhp!

My stocker was falling apart when it came out of the car.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is not the pressure plate. Your clutch system either needs to be bled or you need to replace the slave cylinder. Make sure your clutch line is not by your header, and if bleeding it does not fix it buy a 2002 unit to replace it.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

what he said....the stock clutches dont hold for **** anyway, but it's probly air....Its a pain in the *** to get all of the air out (least-wise for me anyway) I've ordered somthing that I can use to reverse bleed...that (so ive heard) seems to be the best way to bleed.....we will see.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

but if its a stock clutch, maybe the original one which Im pretty sure it is, I think its probably just slipping and cant hold the power. On the street with my nitto DRs I can floor it in first and not spin at all, and it dosent scratch when I shift anymore like it once did when I bought the tires.

So if I want to replace the clutch with a ram powergrip, what other components are recomended to do with the swap, what about the flywheel?
Ill do some researching but please share any quick info you can
Old 04-23-2005, 03:28 AM
TECH Resident

Default After reading the thread closer...

Crossing the Traps in 4th Gear:

I also checked the calculations....in 4th at 6000rpm.... MPH should be around 115-118 depending on tires...so you SHOULDNT have to shift to 5th at 105mph.

CLUTCH...

Here are the FACTS:
MTI clear lid
K&N filter kit
Pro 5.0
Hooker LT’s
Hooker ORY pipe
Chrome ZR1s (17 x 9.5"front and 11"back)
315 Nitto DRs
Spohn adj. PHB
Granatelli LCAs
Hotchkis SFC
Eibach Pro kit
QTP e Cutout
Billingsley 9" 31 spline soft locker 3.89 gears 4 channel
FRA
Descreened MAF
Polished TB
TB bumpstop
!EGR
!AIR

The 98-00 slaves were poorly designed...personally I think that they are JUNK!

Clutch sticking to the floor:

I dont think that the EXACT cause has been determined....BUT is very common in stock clutches, and clutches with air in the system and/or bad master/slave/pilot bearing.

My best ADVICE:

The Nitto's are aiding in the destruction of what I would guess to be the stock original clutch. (something that you will have to check) Reguardless, the clutch is definatly the weakest link in the car. Considering you other mods.....I would replace the clutch....If your going to replace the clutch, you need the 01-02 slave. A new flywheel would be best, but there are some guys on here that just had thier old one resurfaced and have no problems with them.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

thanks for the info!