Idle surge

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle surge

I am having a surging problem at idle when the air pump is on. The car has a 114 separation cam and is a little lopey when the pump isn't on. But when the car first starts up and the pump is on you can't shift it into gear without it stalling (auto). I am not sure when it started but I suspect around the time I put a ported throttlebody on it. I opened up the hole in the plate a drill bit size but maybe that isn't enough. It acts like a vaccuum problem.

The car is a 1998, A4, with MTI Stage IIE heads and cam (C2 cam with 114) jezel rockers and Jet Hot headers (through CATS). I know the MAF and O2 sensors are fine because they were just replaced. Jason at MTI did the tuning and the cur runs fine as long as that damn pump isn't on. Any thoughts?

Chuck
Old 07-15-2005, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience with a ported TB, my car had the same issues that came from a gap between the TB blade and the body of the TB when it's closed. When you hold it up to the light, you could see the gap around the TB blade.

I suppose there could also be a leak where the TB meets the intake.

Just a suggestion. Might want to check it out just to make sure.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I will check that out. I didn't consider that it was getting too much air! Perhaps it is leaning out. I should be able to check that with Autotap I think. - Chuck