OMG!!! Need computer help!!! (Virus/Pop-up related)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mozilla Firefox is the ****.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

It'll make your life easier like the guy said reformatt the computer but make sure you have all the driver disks i/e video and sound and printer, although you can download them off the net, redo the computer and another thing is that alot of the "free" programs are loaded with spyware but firefox is great
Old 08-03-2005, 08:29 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any particular order I need to do this in? I'm headed over there here in a few. I would like to fix it before the night is over. I really dont know what I'm doing, so step by steps would be nice. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

run spybot search and destroy
run adaware
run virus scan
if that doesnt work
grab a 12pack, cuss a little, and reinstall...
Old 08-05-2005, 09:52 AM
9 Second Club NA

I called Dell to see how you reformat the computer to factory settings and there is no way. They said the only way you can put it back to the way you bought it is to reinstall everything with CDs. I ran Ad-aware and Spyware Doctor in safe mode, but I still get pop ups. I thought maybe it would work, but I still havent fixed it. On the AVG website, which of them do I download? There's tons of them.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Under AVG 7.0 for Workstations then AVG 7.0 for Windows.

Make sure you run the Check for Updates after its installed. If its a virus on there, AVG usually does pretty good to find & fix it. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:58 AM
9 Second Club NA

By the way the computer was purchased in '03, only the newer computers have the capability to reformat without having to reload discs.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am PARTING OUT my computer.

All parts are off a 2004 Dell and are in excellent shape. Prices do not include shipping and are over 75% off of Dell's list price. If there's something you need that you don't see, feel free to ask because there's lots that I didn't list.

Norton Anti-Virus 2005 (purchased new, still like new, very little use)-$5,200

Ad-Aware (Downloaded free, but still in good condition)-$220

McAfee Internet Security Suite (purchsed used, still like new, not used)-$360
Old 08-05-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

To The Top
Old 08-05-2005, 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,229 Likes on 784 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I would download Mozilla Firefox and use that as your browser until you fix IE.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
By the way the computer was purchased in '03, only the newer computers have the capability to reformat without having to reload discs.
Not true. There is no such thing as a reformat that doesn't require reloading from discs. Reformat wipes out everything, including the files you would have needed to restore. Now, there is something called "System Restore" with Windows XP. If System Restore is turned on, you can restore the system to any previous time (within the limits of how much disc space you allocated). Chances are, the infections have been there for awhile and even System Restore wouldn't help you. If the problems started only within the last couple of weeks or months, then you may be able to get rid of them with System Restore. It is accessed from the "Accessories\System Tools folder in your Start/Programs menu.

As far as keeping them off, many of the programs listed here will help you. I personally use McAfee. Works very well, and also informs me whenever they try to install.

If you want to see what sites have been visited, you can click the History button in Internet Explorer.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

LMAO @ hawgs!!!!

do what PSJ says to, firefox is 100x better than IE.... I've only found 2 sites that didnt like it, and that was because of some activx crap...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by hawgs
I am PARTING OUT my computer.

All parts are off a 2004 Dell and are in excellent shape. Prices do not include shipping and are over 75% off of Dell's list price. If there's something you need that you don't see, feel free to ask because there's lots that I didn't list.

Norton Anti-Virus 2005 (purchased new, still like new, very little use)-$5,200

Ad-Aware (Downloaded free, but still in good condition)-$220

McAfee Internet Security Suite (purchsed used, still like new, not used)-$360
Lol @ hawgs!

Don't forget to up the prices due to the shipping charges you incurred when you bought the stuff new.

Don't get all bent out of shape Jeramy. Everyone is just having a little fun with you at your expense. If you get mad at anyone get mad at yourself. You're your own worst enemy since you provide the material to be made fun of with!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

CySevans, that's what someone at Dell told me. I know on my cousin's computer which is a HP, I had to put his back to factory settings just as he bought it and I didnt have to use any discs. I think I used F10 while it was booting up and would prompt me to a screen where I could clean up everything without deleting files or completlely wipe out everything besides what came with the computer.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
CySevans, that's what someone at Dell told me. I know on my cousin's computer which is a HP, I had to put his back to factory settings just as he bought it and I didnt have to use any discs. I think I used F10 while it was booting up and would prompt me to a screen where I could clean up everything without deleting files or completlely wipe out everything besides what came with the computer.
Yep, that's right. Those factory files are stored on the hard drive. If you wipe out the hard drive, you lose those files. Reformatting and reinstalling is ALWAYS the last resort. And this is coming from a former level III Dell Service Technician (i.e. me many years ago ).
Old 08-06-2005, 11:26 AM
9 Second Club NA

Ok...downloaded the Microsoft anti-spyware Beta, ran it like 3 times in safe mode. 1 of the 3 times I ran a full system scan which I let do on its own over night because it said it was an estimated 29 mins. to complete. I also ran Ad-aware in safe mode before that. Then Spyware doctor. Anyhow, I'm still getting pop ups, what do I do next? Even if I cleaned up the whole system, it still gets infected. So there's really no protection. I just keep having to clean it up everytime I get on the net. How do I stop the pop ups and keep from getting viruses?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:24 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok...I've ran Ad-aware and Microsoft Antispyware a billion times already and her computer still gets pop ups! I can run it over and over right after one another and it'll find infections. I dont know if it'll ever completely clean them up to no infections. Even if I did, there's still no protection. I would have to run these programs over and over to keep them off. What do I do next?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

I actually ran into this problem once before. It turned out to be an application that had installed itself. Applications don't always get removed. I actually had to not only locate and delete the files manually, but also had to search through the Windows registry and remove the entries. The company even said you can remove the program once I found out who it was, and there was an entry in the "Add/Remove" programs section, but it never fully uninstalled. It was a pain in the butt.

You can look at all of the startup files by running "msconfig" from the start\run menu. Anything that looks suspicious in the "Startup" section you can remove the check mark from and perform a diagnostic boot. Once you've found the program that's causing the popups, you can either just leave it unchecked and tell Windows to quit telling you you're running in diagnostics mode, or you can look at the "command" and "location" sections to find out where the program is on the hard drive and in the registry and remove them. Editing the registry is a dangerous thing because there is no "undo", so if you don't feel comfortable doing that, find someone who is windows savvy enough to do it for you.

Good luck!