Want a bike what do i need??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started off with a new 600 gsxr. It was my first bike and I didnt listen to everyone telling me get a used one. I went and got a new one but what I did listen to everyone was dont go bigger than 600 at first. IMO that was a mistake because ya the 600 seemed super fast at first cause I had never riden a bike but after a few months it seemed slow *** hell and I wanted more. I should have gone with a 750 off the bat and I think that would have been fast enough. I had it as my daily driver for about 1 yr. since I had wrecked my car and never layed it down thank god. So I suggest if you can afford it a new one and nothing more than a 750 IMO.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Mustang Moderator

One thing to remember, even the slowest bike will be faster than 90% of the cars on the road. Just some food for thought. Speed it relative.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redaddiction
Bad advice take the MSF course I did and am very happy I did.
AGREE FULLY. No experience on a bike? Don't take your life that casually. Bikes on Houston roads can be a deadly combination if you aren't prepared and have some solid experience. Don't risk it - it's not a lot of money or time. Also, 600CC are PLENTY fast. Forget GSXR-1000's, 'Busa's, CBR1000's. Early ticket to the graveyard. Too much temptation to go fast. Things happen REALLY FAST at 140-150-160 on a bike. Those bikes can quickly and easily attain those speeds.

Brian
Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad Black SS
Well then go ahead and take the classes I didnt need them and it was very easy for me to learn the Hardest thing is to Start Moving after that its gravy! Well you also need to know your breaks
Brakes, not breaks. That's the last thing he needs (breaking something that is)!! The course is very good. People that have been riding for years have taken it and gotten something out of it. I rode for 18 years and then took it with my wife because she wanted to learn to ride and felt the course was best. I learned a few good safety tips. But, it's your life.....

Last edited by BAD2000TA; 09-09-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Things happen REALLY FAST at 140-150-160 on a bike.
Brian

My guess would be anything going 140-150-160 things would be happening REALLY FAST
Old 09-09-2005, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stang Man
MSF is definately a must. Take this before you buy a bike, trust me on this one. You'll have a new bike and be itching to ride it, and go out, and BAM there you are, on your *** on the side of the road, your new bike all messed up.

So, take the MSF first. The MSF is fun, you get to spend a weekend riding someone else's bike. Then, your MSF Completion Certificate will substiture for the Riding test at the DMV. This is a VERY big bonus. The riding test you must have a licensed friend(18+ years old I believe) to follow you in a car, with a state trooper riding shotgun with him. That car will follow you, and certain honks will mean to turn left, right, stop, etc etc. BUT, if you take the MSF, you don't have to do this. Take your certificate to the DMV, take the written test(piece of cake), and theres your license! Not to mention, most insurance companies will give you a 10% discount on your insurance for having completed the MSF course.

Then, its time decide what bike you want. Great starter bikes are the Kawasaki Ninja500, Suzuki SV650(S), Maybe a Katana 600, etc etc. The biggest thing here is think cheap and small. Stray away from the modern super sport bikes, handling and throttle are too twitchy for newcomers. I learned on a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650. It was free. 'Nuf said lol. (Remember, a slow bike with a badass rider is just as fast, if not faster, than a badass bike with a shitty rider)

Don't forget to budget for things like a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, etc etc. Absolute minimum I'd say would be a helmet, jacket, and gloves. You can get away without the boots, but I'd strongly urge you wear something with ankle support/protection(saw a dude lose his foot in a motorcycle accident, not a pretty sight!)

Ok, so it sounds like a lot to do. Truth be told, I started riding when I was 17. Its fun getting all your gear together and taking the class, getting your license, etc. Above all, have some fun(I know, it sounds hard to do with all this stuff to do, but this is the safest, smartest way to get into the motorcycle world.)

Arron

PS- If you have any questions feel free to ask. I sold my previous bike over Xmas break, but I couldn't stay away and hopefully I'll be on two wheels here again very soon...
Great write-up!! My wife bought a 2002 Suzuki SV650S for her first bike. I like taking it out once in a while because it's a little different than my VFR, plus WAY lighter!!

brian
Old 09-09-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bad Black SS
You dont need to waste money on going to a motorcycle school If you have a freind that knows how to ride one tell him to teach you the basics It isnt that difficult if your afraid of riding a bike you will never learn im not saying you shouldnt be afraid of it becuase It is a dangerous hobby....Do yo atleast have any expreince?
Yeah, agree. The MSF and grammer are both worthless...
Old 09-09-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Stang Man
MSF is definately a must. Take this before you buy a bike, trust me on this one. You'll have a new bike and be itching to ride it, and go out, and BAM there you are, on your *** on the side of the road, your new bike all messed up.

So, take the MSF first. The MSF is fun, you get to spend a weekend riding someone else's bike. Then, your MSF Completion Certificate will substiture for the Riding test at the DMV. This is a VERY big bonus. The riding test you must have a licensed friend(18+ years old I believe) to follow you in a car, with a state trooper riding shotgun with him. That car will follow you, and certain honks will mean to turn left, right, stop, etc etc. BUT, if you take the MSF, you don't have to do this. Take your certificate to the DMV, take the written test(piece of cake), and theres your license! Not to mention, most insurance companies will give you a 10% discount on your insurance for having completed the MSF course.

Then, its time decide what bike you want. Great starter bikes are the Kawasaki Ninja500, Suzuki SV650(S), Maybe a Katana 600, etc etc. The biggest thing here is think cheap and small. Stray away from the modern super sport bikes, handling and throttle are too twitchy for newcomers. I learned on a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650. It was free. 'Nuf said lol. (Remember, a slow bike with a badass rider is just as fast, if not faster, than a badass bike with a shitty rider)

Don't forget to budget for things like a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, etc etc. Absolute minimum I'd say would be a helmet, jacket, and gloves. You can get away without the boots, but I'd strongly urge you wear something with ankle support/protection(saw a dude lose his foot in a motorcycle accident, not a pretty sight!)

Ok, so it sounds like a lot to do. Truth be told, I started riding when I was 17. Its fun getting all your gear together and taking the class, getting your license, etc. Above all, have some fun(I know, it sounds hard to do with all this stuff to do, but this is the safest, smartest way to get into the motorcycle world.)

Arron

PS- If you have any questions feel free to ask. I sold my previous bike over Xmas break, but I couldn't stay away and hopefully I'll be on two wheels here again very soon...
Stang man, you one smart ****!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Launching!

I too agree with most of stangman's post. One thing to consider is your size. If your a bigger or tall fella you might not be so comfortable on smaller bikes. I'd consider something like a zrx1100 or bandit 1200. They're pretty nimble, inexpensive, dependable bikes that'll knock down good gas mileage. Some people feel these bikes may be too powerful but I believe it's up to the rider to use some self control. You can ride like an idiot on a ninja500 and screw yourself up easy enough.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

My first bike is a Harley Dyna Sport. I have had is about 5 months and have almost 5k miles on it. Not too small but it was easy to learn on. Take the MSF first as stated above. I did not but took it a few weeks later. I learned a great deal in the course and it has made me a safer rider.