Clemens

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clemens

Looks like it may be over. Astros announced they are not going to offer arbitration, so they can't negotiate until May.

So Drayton pays the guy a healthy salary and earns far more than that in increased ticket sales, two trips to the NLCS and one World Series appearance. In return, he decides Clemens isn't worth the hassle of arbitration and/or wants too much money. If he weren't paying Bagwell ridiculous money next year to have a limp right arm and a powerless bat, he wouldn't be afraid to give Clemens what he wants.

If they don't take that money and sign a real bat, I'm going to be PISSED. I'll still watch them, because they're my team, but I'll still be pissed.

-Mike
Old 12-07-2005, 05:35 PM
LS7 Member

Old 12-07-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dammit.

It's not completely over... I don't see Clemens playing anywhere else besides Houston. Maybe he'll sign in May... or we can start Wandy.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 12-07-2005, 07:16 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I kinda see it this way.........If Clemens keeps screwing with us whether or not hes gonna sign then I say we go after a good bat and fielder maybe SS. Its crazy that we keep holding out for him when all the players that are good are getting away! If Clemens leaves then Ausmus is probly gone too.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Texas Director

I can't really fault the Astros here. They need a decision from Roger and because of the $ its going to take to sign him it kind of dictates what kind of $ they will or won't have available to sign other players, free agents, or have the ability to pursue trades with. Roger has his reasons for not giving them a decision right now, but the Astros are a business and sometimes the timing of things doesn't work out. This is really very similar to the Beltran deal last year. The Astros cannot afford to wait around on Roger's decision and have to do what they feel is in the best interest of the club, which is the first priority.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

ausmus leave due to clemens? i dont think so, ausmus was here before clemens, so IF clemens decides not to come back, ausmus will stay
Old 12-07-2005, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

If Clemens $$ is not used for AT LEAST a 100+rbi guy I will be pissed.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Banned

Clemens sure held out on us a while, not like i'm surprised he did it last year.

didn't allow us much time to look elsewhere, and also a lot of people are already signed.

if Clemens would have given us some information earlier we probably could have decided that we weren't going to pick him up and shopped while the free agent market was still fresh

the Astros always have a hard time figuring out where there money should go because we never know where all our money needs to be, we thought we needed to get Clemens, now we can't do that anytime soon and we're SOL because we spent a lot of time waiting for a decision.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Texas Director

The only way we're going to get a 100+ RBI guy is via a trade and give up some top notch prospects and probably a starting pitcher like Backe. I don't want to trade Backe though. Since we'll be losing Clemens we can't afford to give up any more pitching. Ausmus lives in San Diego and will either sign with the Padres or stay with the Astros.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Banned

i was thinking we should go after Manny Ramirez; we have a short porch in left field he would have an easier time with it than he did with the green monster.

he's a great bat.

he's still available, i'd put our likelihood of actually entertaining any offers for him at 0.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't fault the Astros. Clemens still hasn't decided if he will play or not anyways. Until then, they have to take care of business as usual. Roger could take a year off and still come back and pick up where he left off, he has quite a few years left in that arm.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

What irks me is the Astros were kind of in a lose/lose situation. If they wait for Clemens, they pass up opportunities for other players. If they go get other players, Drayton will claim they've spent enough and can't afford Clemens. But without getting another bat in the lineup, what's Clemens's incentive to come back?

-Mike
Old 12-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
What irks me is the Astros were kind of in a lose/lose situation. If they wait for Clemens, they pass up opportunities for other players. If they go get other players, Drayton will claim they've spent enough and can't afford Clemens. But without getting another bat in the lineup, what's Clemens's incentive to come back?

-Mike

exactly what i was saying.

agreed.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Teching In

this is almost as bad as when ryan got away
Old 12-08-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Ausmus dosent have the arm to throw people out at second anymore, but can still call one of the best games in the majors. kinda a toss up.

Clemens plays hurt which isnt good, he isnt young, he takes longer to heal and aggrivating an injury just makes it worse.

so if we lose Clemens it isnt that big of a thing. we need BATS we lost the WS due to lack of batting. yes better pitching could of reduced the amount of hits the sox got, but you are never gonna keep a team with that great of hitting scoreless.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

If and when Clemens retires he has already agreed to a 10 year deal in some aspect with the Astros....Does MLB have a yearly salary cap? If so I can definitely understand the Astros decision and agree with it...If not, its an unbelieveably stupid move just based on the amount of asses Clemens puts in the seats, and team Merchandise he sells. He also provides leadership in the clubhouse that have led to the recent run of success for the club. I HIGHLY doubt Roger is going to play out of state, maybe the Rangers though.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Teching In

there is no salary cap in baseball
Old 12-08-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Wink

Then the salary cap is Draytons wallet.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I don't fault the Astros. Clemens still hasn't decided if he will play or not anyways. Until then, they have to take care of business as usual. Roger could take a year off and still come back and pick up where he left off, he has quite a few years left in that arm.
A number of years, I seriously doubt that. He had an awesome year last year but it was pretty obvious how tired he was towards the end w/ the nagging injuries and he didn't do a spectacular job in the playoffs to be quite honest. I think we need to save the $20 million it's gonna cost to get him another year in houston and put that towards a couple 80+ RBI guys. We are still going to have solid pitching this year even w/out clemens.