Ahhh Transmission probs! Stupid car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahhh Transmission probs! Stupid car!!!!

Ok just when I fix everything on my car. As ya'll know I fixed my idle a few months ago. Then I replaced my driver window motor. replaced blown speakers, fixed the damn rattling last weekend from a bolt that some how got stuck in long tubes and now this

My transmission is popping out of 3rd (Syncro I believe correct me if I'm wrong) The car has been a little rough lately shifting I was like hmmm maybe I need to do a transmisison swap. 1st and reverse were getting hard to put in. Anyways on my way back from huntsville today I looked around and decided to open her up to 120. Couldn't get it out of 4th gear! it stuck in 4th gear. I cruised like a mile letting on and off the clutch trying to un stick it. Finally got it by pushing on it hard. Then next time I reinsert into 4th and try to take it out I would have to bring it out halfway (it would go no more) then bring it back into fourth a smidge (then a light grind) and then it was free from 4th. Then 40 miles down the road it starts to pop out of 3rd!!

What do you guys suggest? I have a 99 clutch master cylinder by the way. So if you guys tell me to replace the whole transmisison (upon shooting myself I'll probably upgrade that too since throw in suggestions on what to get)

Thanks from the never ending hell of the Black Trans Am (For all who knows me they can vouche for me)

Mike
Old 04-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Launching!

20 views and not one resonse? someone has to have some info
Old 04-06-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like it's time to get a new tranny.

Where ya been Gonzo? Haven't seen you for a couple of years?
Old 04-06-2006, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sounds like a bent shift fork - the stock aluminum forks can get bent and cause the problems you're discribing. A replacement steel shifter fork, which is an upgrade over the stock aluminum unit, is around $40 or so the last time I checked. I have no idea what labor on a job like that runs though.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Launching!

stupid car doesn't even have 40,000 miles on it! dang crap wagon! Looks like I'll have to get a new tranny. Is it easy to drop the tranny without a lift? never attempted it just worried about the weight of it. Put one in on a lift and that was a pain itself. I guess use the rolling jack to jack it into place?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

yah sounds like a shiftfork. Mine went out at about the same time......but i had some very nice connections with Mac Haik Chevrolet in houston and got the tranny replaced for free! (warranty went out at 36,000)

As far as pulling the tranny....i just did it over christmas to replace my clutch. BTW- was in my driveway. Just make sure you have atleast one extra set of hands to help you out. And make sure you get the car as high in the air as safely possible. Go to installuniversity.com and use their writeup as a guideline if you need to. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Brent
Old 04-06-2006, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't say it's easy per say, but you can definitely drop the transmission out with the car on ramps/jacks. The transmission is heavy, and you'll need to have a hyd. jack to support the weight when removing it. Last time I pulled my T-56, it took me and a few friends around an hour and a half ... However, the first time I pulled it, the job took quite a bit longer

Originally Posted by VsGonzo
stupid car doesn't even have 40,000 miles on it! dang crap wagon! Looks like I'll have to get a new tranny. Is it easy to drop the tranny without a lift? never attempted it just worried about the weight of it. Put one in on a lift and that was a pain itself. I guess use the rolling jack to jack it into place?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Dont keep abusing it because it will get f*cked up even more. You can rebuild it if you want cause to replace the shift fork, you have to take it all apart anyway? If you are in Austin I can definently get you the hook up. PM me
Old 04-07-2006, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

Call up T56 Rebulids. They're a sponsor here and they did wonderful work on mine.