no more camaro, new ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I don't see how a 2-door BMW is more 'practical'. It has a weaker drivetrain, gets less mpg than a 6-speed LS1 f-body, and are more costly to repair and maintain. They are nice looking cars, but you will soon see how overrated they are when it comes to reliability....
Practical in the sense that I don't have to wait for my car to warm up for 30-60 seconds, I get 20 < mpg instead of 10-12. The interior noise is considerably less, not to mention the suspension allows for less frustration when driving around Houston’s bumpy streets. Don’t get me wrong I loved my Camaro but it drives like a boat compared to this car.

As far as reliability, we will see, all the little and major issues for this year have already been fixed before I bought the car.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jlrz28
If you dont mind me asking what did that one cost? Hows the mpg on a beamer?
I am getting about 22mpg, with city only driving (inside loop traffic). The retail kbb for the car was 28k, I got for 23,900 after a week of negotiating.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by orion565
Practical in the sense that I don't have to wait for my car to warm up for 30-60 seconds, I get 20 < mpg instead of 10-12. The interior noise is considerably less.
now be honest, are those problems with all Camaros, or just ones that you modify yourself?

Its probably been a long time since you drove a stock LS1 f-body, they are actually pretty nice cars but many of us like to ruin them by making them louder, tighter suspension, faster, etc... Too big cams, too loose converters, etc...

Tony
Old 07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

now be honest, are those problems with all Camaros, or just ones that you modify yourself?

Its probably been a long time since you drove a stock LS1 f-body, they are actually pretty nice cars but many of us like to ruin them by making them louder, tighter suspension, faster, etc... Too big cams, too loose converters, etc...

Tony
Very true statement!

Tony remember when I converted the 98 TA back to stock, and was planning on getting rid of it. It was such a good vehicle bone stock I ended up driving it for damn near two more years.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Tony
Yes it has been awhile, but then again, I got use to the speed and I was unwilling to go back to stock. Also I don’t have a garage to work on my car so it would have cost me a pretty penny to go back to stock. But stock for stock, the bmw is by far a nicer car, granted it cost almost twice as much but I bought it used.

I really didn’t have many problems with the Camaro other than some tuning issues which came from the cam and a blown transmission which came from the power, all which I created. But I also only drove it for 13k miles, I bought it with 19k and I sold it with 32k on the clock.

If I could do it all over again, I would have waited and pasted on the Camaro and saved the money I dropped into the Camaro and would have bought a z06 and kept it stock (hopefully). But saying that I would have never acquired all the knowledge I have about lsx cars, experience, etc.

There are pros and cons to every car, modded or not it just comes down to what you like, I have always liked the corvette and m3 since I was very young but since I can’t afford either right now, I picked the 330. The Camaro is to the corvette as the 330 is to the m3. But in due time I will own both.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Banned

Yeah, those BMW's are damn nice cars, drive like a friggin' dream as well! I have kept my car pretty much stock. My SS is just lowered, lid, catback/cutout, stb, free mods, and a few cosmetic mods to make it a tad different from the other black SS's out there. I refuse to get a cam for the car until I get HPTuners VCM Suite Pro and an emission friendly header/y-pipe combo. It drives great now and on my trip to Lubbock from Desoto, I got 30+ mpg @ 70-75 mph the way there and back. Congrads on the 330 though!