Ok, I've got the computer, now I need to get the high speed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:18 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ok, I've got the computer, now I need to get the high speed.

Well after many years of hand-me-down computers and dial up service, many of you know I finally purchased a new computer. Its time to step up my internet connection and get high speed. I got all the goodies with the computer for high speed, now I just need to get hooked up. What's the difference between DSL and cable?

Anyhow, so which company do you suggest I go through? Looking for a fast, secure connection, with the least amount of problems/hiccups, great customer service, and last but not least, a good price.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:19 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time Warner Cable.

-Ben R.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Time Warner Cable.

-Ben R.
I agree.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got yahoo dsl.. its fast, never have any problems, and its only 14.95/mo.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

i've used both and kinda like the dsl better. only because I am having tons of trouble with the modem time warner sent me. it keeps deciding to give me limited or no connectivity. I have done everything on the computer to try to fix it so its not that. Everytime it goes out I call warner and they have to reset it from their office and it is good again... for about a week. they say its my router's fault but i hardly believe that.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

we had trouble with time warner and their tech support was none existant. haven't had a problem with DSL from SBC
Old 07-10-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Comcast!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
9 Second Club NA

So 2 vote for Time Warner, I assume that's Road Runner. Then 2 for SBC Yahoo DSL. Also, 2 have stated having problems with Time Warner. What's the difference between cable and DSL?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
What's the difference between cable and DSL?
Cable is usually shared bandwidth with people in your area. Depending on a number of things, your download speeds will vary. Transfer speeds (especially upload) are usually MUCH faster than DSL for the same price. Your transfer rates will usually fluxuate depending on how many people in the area are using it at any given time.

DSL stands for "Digital Subscriber Line." You're generally limited to download/upload speeds dependant on your distance from the Control Office or switching station. The transfer rates are constant though and aren't effected by other people in your area. Upload speeds are usually "slow" (compared to cable.)

There are different price tags for different "gauranteed" speeds.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've had Time Warner, Comcast, Verizon FIOS, now back to Comcast.

Only reason I don't have Verizon FIOS is that they haven't spread into this area yet. Comcast is alright, but its not the same 3-4megaBYTE per second downloads I got with FIOS. I'd be lucky to get 4megaBIT per second downloads with comcast.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Better just check and see what you can get in Alvin first. Sometimes your supprised when you cant get anything.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you made a thread asking what type of toliet paper you should use to wipe your *** with yet?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawgs
Have you made a thread asking what type of toliet paper you should use to wipe your *** with yet?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club NA

hawgs, have you asked yourself when you're gonna stop being a ***** and talk all that mess to my face? You're such a troll! Grow up.

jlrz28, I'll have to check into, thanks for the tip.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had Time Warner RR for about 3 years now and have never ever had a problem with it. I am still on the original equipment they installed 3 years back. It hauls *** and I have had a couple of friends with DSL tell me it's noticeably faster than theirs.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

My RR has worked flawlessly for the 4 years I've had it.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Comcast.....Thats my vote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
i've used both and kinda like the dsl better. only because I am having tons of trouble with the modem time warner sent me. it keeps deciding to give me limited or no connectivity. I have done everything on the computer to try to fix it so its not that. Everytime it goes out I call warner and they have to reset it from their office and it is good again... for about a week. they say its my router's fault but i hardly believe that.
if your computer is saying "Limited or no connectivity" while it's connected to a router, then the router is connected to the modem, then it is not a problem with the cable service. it would be a problem with the router, your network card, or the cable you used to connect the two (if it's wireless, your wireless connection may be dropping in/out due to interference or something else, causing you to get the "Limited or no connectivity".

on the other hand, if your computer is connected directly to the cable modem, then yes, it is a problem with the cable connection.

Originally Posted by Morbid
...DSL stands for "Digital Subscriber Line." You're generally limited to download/upload speeds dependant on your distance from the Control Office or switching station. The transfer rates are constant though and aren't effected by other people in your area. Upload speeds are usually "slow" (compared to cable.)...
common misconception.

although you don't necessarily share it directly with other people on your cable circuit, it is still shared once it hits the CO (Central Office)
Old 07-11-2006, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
Might be the modem; I had this Toshiba PCX1100 (or something like that) that was older and would drop the connection several times a day. I looked it up online and it turned out that it wasn't really compatible anymore with the current cable specs, so I took it into one of the offices and exchanged it for a newer modem. No problems since then.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

A lot of folks dont realize as well, the more RAM and memory you computer has the quicker it will process as well. If you have a computer with only 512mb or Ram, get ya another 512MB Ram card and install it, you will be amazed on how much quicker the computer will move. It doesnt matter how much your hard drive can hold, you can have 200gig HD, and still run slow as ****. It's all n the RAM man....

I have dial up, usual connection is 45.5 on a 56k modem. But I have like 1gig of RAM and that thing moves pretty good for dial up.

I also live 13 miles from town so DSL, Cable and all the high speed **** isnt available....But that is soon to change with my move to San Antonio.....

Hope this helps out a bit.....