RF signal amplifiers for better cable tv reception/clarity, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:56 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default RF signal amplifiers for better cable tv reception/clarity, need help.

Ok...I just recently had Time Warner install high speed (Road Runner) and cable tv with a digital box in my room. Well currently, I'm unable to receive channels above 80 which are the digital channels because of the signal strength. Part of the problem is within the main line which will be fixed next week. Their amplifier (another name for it, but forgot what the technician referred it to) needs to be fixed/adjusted/replace. Anyhow, he suggested that I install a RF signal amplifier on top of that to get the best clarity/reception for my cable tv. He told me to get one which boosts it 15db and must run from 5-1000mhz. What if its less? What about more? I have only found 1 that has those exact specs and its 80 bucks! I've found several ones that are around 10-15db boost with a maximum of 900mhz and then a few that boost it 20-30db. So I was wondeirng what I should do here.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:57 PM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone know anything about these things?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:37 PM
9 Second Club NA

I went to Wal-Mart to purchase one to see how it works and then take it back. I got a Phillips PH61111. It has a 24db boost and a bandwidth of 50-900mhz. Long story short, it actually made the picture worse. It made it fuzzy. Well in the process of hooking this up, I went up into the attic where he put the splitter in for the rooms and what do I find, one of the rooms was going in the input of the splitter and the main feed was on the output. Switched them and bam, I have good picture. I still hooked up the amplifier and it was no good. Do you think it was too much of a db boost or is the bandwidth not high enough because the Time Warner technician said I should get one with 15db boost and a bandwidth of 5-1000mhz. What do you think?