need info about volunteer firefighting

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need info about volunteer firefighting

anybody here a volunteer firefighter cause i want to join in my town but maybe some before hand info can come in handy like the requirements and age needed thanks in advance for the info
Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

volunteer firefighter here!! I actually got promoted to Captain a year ago! As far as age requirements go it just depends on the department and the by-laws they have. My department has an age limit of 18yrs. old, others age limit is 16 and some have their limit set at 21. So you just need to talk to someone who is in the department you are trying to get into. Preferably a Captain or Chief. If you have anymore questions just ask! I am currently obtaining an associates degree in fire science and attending the fire academy next year so i can become a paid professional firefighter.

Captain Brent Gorman
Frelsburg Volunteer Fire Dept.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

I have ben a volunteer for a while. But I have been in Iraq for even longer. Pretty much it helps to know someone on the department you are trying to get on. But you dont have to. But what most will be looking for is stuff like....How often do or can you attend training, meetings events like parades and stuff.

I have been to several calls and was not allowed to do much until I had a certain amount of training and time under my belt.

All I can say is, go to all the meetings and training you can. Learn everything you can. It is awesome to be able to do so much and ask for so little. I love it.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Kinda like a the other posters have said...really depends on the dept you're looking at. I got started as a volunteer for my hometown(18). And from there I went to A&M for a degree in Fire Science/Rookie school and got my paramedic. I work for a suburb in the metroplex and on my days off I still volunteer. I love the 24/48 work schedule.

If you intend on making the fire service a career...PM me I can help.

Gari Sansing, Firefighter/Paramedic

Cooper Fire/Rescue
Old 08-29-2006, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AGGIEFIREMAN
Kinda like a the other posters have said...really depends on the dept you're looking at. I got started as a volunteer for my hometown(18). And from there I went to A&M for a degree in Fire Science/Rookie school and got my paramedic. I work for a suburb in the metroplex and on my days off I still volunteer. I love the 24/48 work schedule.

If you intend on making the fire service a career...PM me I can help.

Gari Sansing, Firefighter/Paramedic

Cooper Fire/Rescue

hey whats up man! Sorry i didnt reply to your pm. I have been busy as hell lately. I might be sending you a pm on some questions i have later!

Brent