Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter died

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter died

Television personality and environmentalist Steve Irwin has died after being stung by a stingray while filming off north Queensland.

Known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter, the 44-year-old was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!''.

The Queensland Police Service issued a statement saying Mr Irwin collapsed after being stung at Batt Reef, Low Isles off Port Douglas about 11am. He had been filming a documentary.

"Steve was hit by a stingray in the chest,'' said local diving operator Steve Edmondson, whose Poseidon boats were out on the Great Barrier Reef when the accident occured.

"He probably died from a cardiac arrest from the injury,'' he said.

Police said after he stingray attack, Irwin's crew called for medical treatment at 11am and the Queensland Rescue Helicopter responded with a doctor and paramedic on board.

Puncture wound

Mr Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said Mr Irwin's family has been advised and Irwin's body was being flown to Cairns.

It is believed his American-born wife Terri was trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania when the incident happened.

Police in Tasmania say she has been informed of her husband's death.

The Irwins have two children, an eight-year-old a daughter, Bindi Sue, and a three-year-old son, Robert Clarence, usually known as Bob.

When asked if he had ever heard of anyone dying from a stingray barb Matthew Hurley, general manager of Quicksilver Group, whose company has taken tours to Low Isles for 26 years, said: "No, definitely not."

"We've never heard of or been involved with anything like that."

Ross Coleman, acting director at at University of Sydney Institute of Marine Science, told smh.com.au it was "quite rare" for someone to die from contact with a stingray and he couldn't recall hearing of another incident.

Stingrays were "dangerous if provoked", he said.

"As a recreational diving instructor you hear of people getting injured by standing on them ... but they rarely die."

Trouble over croc feeding with son

Irwin won a global following for his daredevil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just saw that on CNN.....wow.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

that dude was crazy
Old 09-04-2006, 01:20 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He lived a fun life though, that was for sure.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just saw that on the main screen of yahoo. Definitely sucks that it happened. It was kind of hard to believe when I saw it though because you see him all the time messing with alligators and what not and then it's a stingray that gets him. Sad news.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:26 AM
12 Second Club

This sucks, I liked that guy.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Launching!

A guy at work told me he died about 2 months ago. I couldnt find anything about it then so I told him he was full of it, know the dude really dies. How messed up is that.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was just joking with my freind 2 nights ago about how dumb he was and how lucky he gets....

man i loved his shows...ill miss them
Old 09-04-2006, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

Nature vs Nurture... nature always wins.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

Kind of crazy, like stated above. He messes with all these aggressive animals and never has nothing life threatning happen. Swimming in the Barrier Reef and gets killed by a stingray, nothing like a shark or electric eel or anything like that. Crazy...he will be missed by a whole lot of people though, me and my sister always watched his shows together.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

that stingray put his barb right in the chest and killed him...what a freak accident...
Old 09-04-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

What a shame.

B
Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Default The Croc Hunter Dead

/AP Photo
Stingray Kills 'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin

CAIRNS, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.
Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous bard on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter." First broadcast in Australia in 1992, the program was picked up by the Discovery network, catapulting Irwin to international celebrity.

He rode his image into a feature film, 2002's "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course" and developed the wildlife park that his parents opened, Australia Zoo, into a major tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"

Prime Minister John Howard, who hand-picked Irwin to attend a gala barbecue to honor President Bush when he visited in 2003, said he was "shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death."

"It's a huge loss to Australia," Howard told reporters. "He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

Irwin, who made a trademark of hovering dangerously close to untethered crocodiles and leaping on their backs, spoke in rapid-fire bursts with a thick Australian accent and was almost never seen without his uniform of khaki shorts and shirt and heavy boots.

His ebullience was infectious and Australian officials sought him out for photo opportunities and to promote Australia internationally.

Irwin's public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen. Irwin claimed at the time there was no danger to the child, and authorities declined to charge Irwin with violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

Stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray and can be excruciatingly painful but are rarely fatal, said University of Queensland marine neuroscientist Shaun Collin.

Collin said he suspected Irwin died because the barb pierced under his ribcage and directly into his heart.

"It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.

News of Irwin's death spread quickly, and tributes flowed from all quarters of society.

At Australia Zoo at Beerwah, south Queensland, floral tributes were dropped at the entrance, where a huge fake crocodile gapes. Drivers honked their horns as they passed.

"Steve, from all God's creatures, thank you. Rest in peace," was written on a card with a bouquet of native flowers.

"We're all very shocked. I don't know what the zoo will do without him. He's done so much for us, the environment and it's a big loss," said Paula Kelly, a local resident and volunteer at the zoo, after dropping off a wreath at the gate.

Stainton said Irwin's American-born wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., had been informed of his death, and had told their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the "Crocodile Huntress," she costarred on her husband's television show and in his 2002 movie.

___
Old 09-04-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Already have a thread on this.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

im sure thats how he wanted to go
Old 09-04-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

That guy was nuts!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Something that I didnt expect to happen.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

"Crikey"
im sure thats how he wanted to go.

Somehow i dont think he wanted to go out like that with a sting to the heart while filming.....

Nonetheless he was definitely a character!!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Definitely some sad news. He will be greatly missed.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sux the guy was my hero when a was a little kid